Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot: Fuel vs. Octane ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Apr 06, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I can't be of much help here, but you might get this question from a few people, so I'll ask really quick. Do you still want to stick with the Arc style kite? No bows? I only ride Fuels too, and haven't ridden the Octane, so I don't know how much overall depower you're going to get (with the Splitflex) aside from trimming in the Oneline which you can do with the right bar and any '04+ Fuel. If you don't mind bows and you want a lot of depwer, I'd probably just go with one..? Just my $0.02 though and hopefully somemore more knowledgeable will chime in real soon! Thumb's Up
Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Thu Apr 06, 06 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 06, 06 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

I ride fuels and have flown the octane on several occasions. The octanes are super powerful with a LOT of pull. It's like night and day between the octane and fuel. The oneline does help depower the kite but you're going to get more control using the fuel with the oneline. I'm going to stick with fuels up to 13m and get a 16m octane for more performance in lighter wind. hope this helps.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 06, 06 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

fuels are good. are octanes slower than fuels?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 7:58 am     Reply with quote

no, octanes are like porches compared to fuels (more like a nice sedan). I've only flown the 10m and 16m octane but the 10m was really quick with a lot of punch.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 07, 06 8:25 am     Reply with quote

dcrowe, which '06 Fuels have you flown??

Agree that the Octane is a bit quicker than the Fuel and designed for competition style riding (big air, kite looping, etc.) The splitflex on the Octane allows for more trimming of the kite by sheeting in/out with the bar in combination with trimming the nose line (Oneline).

The Fuel can be significantly de-powered by trimming in the nose line as well, but doesn’t have the split flex (flaps) like Octanes & Machines.

Fules are a built beefier to handle the surf & have a bit more low end grunt. The ’06 Fules are slightly higher aspect than previous years and the wing tips are significantly wider. I have 9m & 13m Fuels & a 17.5 Machine. I rode a 12m Octane.

Selecting a kite depends on what type of riding (big air, wakestyle, surf, etc.) you prefer, where you ride mostly (Gorge, Coast, Lakes, etc.) & the wind & water conditions (gusty wind, strong currents, DOH waves, flat water, etc.) you will most often encounter. You can mix & match your quiver with Fuels & Octanes depending on the above factors.

You can also call Slingshot tech support & they can help walk you through the best kite combination for you.

The Turbo Diesel is also a great kite, so check it out as well. My wife has a 6m & 10m TD. I rode the 10m in Maui & fell in love with it for wave riding & gusty wind conditions.

Here are some links to other Octane vs. Fuel threads on kiteforum: (Use the search feature)

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2325069&highlight=fuel++octane

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2325339&highlight=fuel++octane

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2325213&highlight=fuel++octane

Good luck & let us know what you decide, Dano

http://www.sskiteboarding.com/index.htm

Last edited by Onad on Fri Apr 07, 06 9:39 am; edited 3 times in total

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 8:50 am     Reply with quote

9m, 13m, & 15m. My buddy rides for slingy so I get to mooch rides on his kites. The 06 15m is the crappiest fuel I have ever ridden. We compare the 05 and 06 on the same day and the 06 15m had the power of an 05 13m. That's why I'm going with the 16m octane for this season. Oherwise the 9 & 13 were a little snappier than the 05 models.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 07, 06 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

Dan - What the fwack is your avatar all about?

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Apr 07, 06 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

so it sounds like a 9/13m fuel and a 16m octance are the way to go. that would cover the gorge necessities and the sauvies light wind.

i'm equally as torn and trying to figure out the best quiver. any other fellas out there with input or gnarledge?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 08, 06 7:57 am     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
so it sounds like a 9/13m fuel and a 16m octance are the way to go.

The problem with that quiver is the Octane 16 is more like a 15 & they don't make a 17m. I was going to get that quiver, but after talking with the SS rep, I went with the 17.5 Machine. Initially I didn’t like the Machine, but after numerous days on it in La Ventana, I love it!!

What’s yours all about PH??
pacifichigh wrote:
Dan - What the fwack is your avatar all about?

My avatar is all about the extreme beauty of my 13m ’06 Fuel in action on a quintessential NW Fall day at Rooster Rock...

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 08, 06 11:27 am     Reply with quote

you like that shit? It's Hannah morphed into a cat. Got it done at Disney World over break. Shay, my dad felt really bad about not being able to look at that boat. He said if you find any more to give him a call and he'll go check them out for you. I think he really wants an excuse to hit you up for rides when he comes out. Call me if you see anything and I'll have him give you a call.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 08, 06 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

nice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: