Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Naish Boxer Stripped of Octopus System
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fridayguy

Since 18 Apr 2009
16 Posts
Hillsboro

PostMon May 11, 09 10:48 pm    Naish Boxer Stripped of Octopus System Reply with quote

So I got a used 07 naish boxer but it no longer has the octopus one pump system installed. Does anybody know how to reinstall this kind of one pump system?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 12, 09 5:34 am     Reply with quote

I think the Naish octopus system is built into the bladders and the strut bladders connect insdie the sleeves.

There's no way to retro fit it unless they changed something...

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue May 12, 09 6:07 am     Reply with quote

It was removed for a reason: OctoPOS

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 12, 09 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
It was removed for a reason: OctoPOS

LMFAO Laughing

fridayguy

Since 18 Apr 2009
16 Posts
Hillsboro

PostTue May 12, 09 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Was this system problematic or something? It seems like it would have been better than pumping the struts one by one.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 12, 09 11:25 am     Reply with quote

fridayguy wrote:
Was this system problematic or something? It seems like it would have been better than pumping the struts one by one.

but that builds character...

they are WAAAAY problematic if you have to do a bladder repair. the internal systems are uber gay. i ahd to fix a leak in a bularoo once. I had to take every single bladder out to find the leak.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostTue May 12, 09 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Having the one pump is nice, but if your strut blows or springs a leak, your leading edge is going to deflate with it. That could suck.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostTue May 12, 09 11:48 am     Reply with quote

i can see why an internal one would suck: hard to repair/trouble shoot with a leak.
but, you could install an external one, maybe, with plastic tubes/connectors from a hardware store... but that's a lot of extra weight and work. and, it may not stay in place.
I saw a kite set up custom like that once back in the day.
anyway. if its hard to inflate the struts now (cause there's no stopper balls, now, right?). you could order a bunch of new nipples from airtime, and cut out the old ones and replace them with easier-to-inflate ones? might be too much $ and effort to really be worth it.

alien

Since 01 Aug 2006
114 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue May 12, 09 11:55 am     Reply with quote

mschulz wrote:
Having the one pump is nice, but if your strut blows or springs a leak, your leading edge is going to deflate with it. That could suck.

My kites have a one-pump for inflation, but then there are clips to pinch off the individual struts. I like the system because it's a mix of the best from both worlds-- less hassle with the one-pump inflation, but with the clips it's still easy to isolate bladder leaks and if one strut blows the other bladders will still stay inflated.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 12, 09 12:35 pm    Re: Naish Boxer Stripped of Octopus System Reply with quote

fridayguy wrote:
So I got a used 07 naish boxer but it no longer has the octopus one pump system installed. Does anybody know how to reinstall this kind of one pump system?

How was the system removed? There are only two practical ways to do this as far as I can tell. They might have replaced all of the bladders with Airtime orange bladders, or they could have filled the internal valves with some kind of sealant. If they merely replaced the bladders with regular bladders, you're risking a blow-out every time you pump up your kite.

There's a hole between the LE and the struts; that's where the Octopus valves go. Airtime orange bladders are strong enough not to burst when inflated unsupported, other bladders are not. I suppose they might have glued a piece of material over the hole... If so, I'd worry about how long those patches will stay in place reliably. Question

To get the Octopus back, first you need to see how the original owner de-activated it. If he/she filled the valves with sealant, you'll need a new LE bladder. If all of the bladders have been replaced, you'll need to remove any patch on the valve holes and replace all of the bladders. Is it worth the effort? You'll have to decide that for yourself.

BTW, use the yellow teflon tape on the valves, NOT the white teflon tape. Yellow teflon tape is designed for gas, white for liquid. Yellow tape makes the whole process of installing a bladder WAY easier.

Installing an external one pump system on a kite is cost-prohibitive. The big problem is making the holes for the nipples on the LE. If you can do that, the rest is a piece of cake...

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostTue May 12, 09 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

hey there are advantages and disavantages to any approach. I've ridden octopus system for quite some time, and never had a problem..I've had to change one bladder.

Most people that find it had have never really tried working with the system. I've had to change a bladder and it took about well I don't know..maybe 5-15 mins more..and that was because I didn't know how the system worked. I am sure it would take less time now if I had to do it again.

The only way to get an octopus system would be to buy all new bladders....I am not sure if I would bother if the current system works.

Compared to a all pump system, you would get uniform pressure in your kite and struts, and if you smack the kite down, the air has a place to escape to, this is very nice if your kite wrap in waves...I mean if I choose between a one pump system or a pump all your bladders and make sure they have enough pressure, then I'd choose the one pump system any day of the week...however it would not be the most important trait of the kite...

Smile
a.

fridayguy

Since 18 Apr 2009
16 Posts
Hillsboro

PostWed May 13, 09 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Yeah it sounds like waaay too much work to install a new one pump system. I might look into getting some new nipples with stopper balls, since most of the air shoots out of the smaller struts before I can get them plugged. Thanks for the advise guys.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 13, 09 2:10 pm    octo Reply with quote

had my first experience w the octo, did a leading edge blowout repair, so dissasembled the struts. theres a plastic retainer clip you remove thru the strut zipper, reach in, grab the strut bladder and pull. Takes quite a pull cause its teflon taped male,female conn.

Didnt try to put it together, but I like Nak's advice on the yellow teflon.

Not a bad system, lean and simple, exept to work on. But to be fair, not much different than anyone elses 1pump.

Marc
KiteRx

shmls adv:NEED KITE REPAIR?? CALL MARC 713 992 2690

Thio

Since 29 Sep 2008
98 Posts
Portland

PostWed May 13, 09 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

"I might look into getting some new nipples with stopper balls"
Confused
Now there's a phrase you don't hear everyday. Classic! Laughing

windyway

Since 20 Jul 2007
3 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostMon May 18, 09 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Someone may have removed the one way ball in the valves, so they could deflate the kite without opening the strut valves. Or maybe they installed generic bladders. The Slingshot external type system can't be retrofitted to the Boxer because there is no way to connect to the main bladder, even if you could put a hose on the strut valve.

BUT the real question is, WHY do you want to fly a Boxer anyway????
If it was free, the price was too high. Laughing WW

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 24, 20 7:04 pm    Re: octo Reply with quote

You may already know this (resurrecting an old post after a search), but I read about using a tool like this, which I've found makes removal significantly easier:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5QSQFQ

dangler wrote:
had my first experience w the octo, did a leading edge blowout repair, so dissasembled the struts. theres a plastic retainer clip you remove thru the strut zipper, reach in, grab the strut bladder and pull. Takes quite a pull cause its teflon taped male,female conn.

Didnt try to put it together, but I like Nak's advice on the yellow teflon.

Not a bad system, lean and simple, exept to work on. But to be fair, not much different than anyone elses 1pump.

Marc
KiteRx

shmls adv:NEED KITE REPAIR?? CALL MARC 713 992 2690

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Oct 25, 20 6:13 am     Reply with quote

I’ve dissected the Naish octopus system.

When it works, (and I had five seasons on my Parks before the first issue) it’s fine.

Once the leaks start, it’s over.

The connector on the strut bladder is glued inside the bladder, before the bladder is sealed. No way to repair it, you just buy a whole new strut bladder from airtime, about $60.

Just for shits and giggles, I took my 2011 6m park apart and played around with fixing it on the cheap. As I messed around with it, connection valves fell off or peeled off with the slightest pull. Every single one.

I put a $15 Airtime valve on the leading edge for an inflate. Patched over all the connection points on the strut bladders, leading edge, and the deflate.

Now I can pump the struts individually, as long as I have needle nose to pinch the nipples. And I can pump the leading edge, but need something to poke in the Airtime valve to deflate. So, yeah, it pumps up and holds air for hours.

Problem is, when it’s blowing 6 meter, do I really want to roll the dice on my repairs handling a crash? So far, the answer has been “nope!” I might, one day when it’s nice and warm, take it out with the foil, but more likely, I’ll toss it. There’s thrifty and clever, and there’s stupid. It’s a fine line.

If you want that boxer back to stock, Airtime can set you up with a whole new leading edge and struts, but that’s probably more than another decent used kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: