Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Solo landing with 5-line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 24, 06 7:35 pm    Solo landing with 5-line Reply with quote

I'm new to 5-line kites, and have encountered a problem when landing the kite by myself in strong winds. Around here its rare when someone's around to catch a kite.

Here's what happens: Let go of the bar, and the kite falls gently downwind, then floats upside down a few feet off the ground. I love how it does that, however, as I walk up the 5th line to the kite, it continues to pull so that I lose grip on the line and it pulls the line through my hand. Had this happen when I landed my Octane 8 in 35 knot winds the other day. Ended up having to get help from a passer-by, something I'd rather not do. Anyone have any solutions for this situation?? I've thought of sticking a glove in my wetsuit, or finding something to tie the leash onto, but, both of these options are kind of lame. Any way to flip the kite over on its nose after deploying the 5th line leash? Any other ideas?

Mahalo,

Steve

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Apr 24, 06 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Not such a problem when not in upper wind range. I usually only use 5 on 15 and up though unless on snow. Its tough when the hands are numbish to Shocked

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 24, 06 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

Yea Steve, I totally know what you're saying. I had my suicide leash attached to my 7's Oneline/pump leash attachment point on Saturday while we were walking upwind and it was insane. It's crazy just how much drag a little kite flipped over on its back can generate in high wind.

As far as your "problem," I haven't seen or heard anything different than the two methods you mentioned (walking in on the Oneline, or staking it).

I've seen kites depowered, sitting on their Oneline get flipped over (face down - the way you want), but only in the surf, or in unstable swirly winds. Never unpurpose though. I guess you could try getting it to flip via pulling slightly on one of side lines, but I don't know if it would work... Just make sure that Oneline stays locked out! Very Happy

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 24, 06 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

when walking up the 5th line hold onto both 5th line and line that attaches to front lines, once at the "Y" continue holding onto to all front lines until you are about 5 feet from kite then 5th line only. kite will stay upside down the entire time

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Apr 24, 06 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

i have done it in the soft sand by attaching my leash to my board (i weighed down the board with a log nearby but i think sand would work too.) after that you can just walk up to the kite.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 24, 06 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

yeah attaching it to the board was my idea, but only in normal winds, i usually just ball it up walk to the kite while reeling in the one line. kinda sketchy but i dont really know of anything else.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Apr 24, 06 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Move the stopper closer to the bar a little, then the kite will "fly" to the ground.

You want a smidge of tension on the rears, if they are too slack the kite will levitate. If you don't have a stopper you'll have to add one and experiment til you find the magic spot where your kite sits on the ground

Mike S

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Apr 25, 06 6:25 am    5 liner Reply with quote

my homemade 5 line set-up is nothing if not a tangle even in the snow ,I just take the leaders off when in the water.Sometimes my kites fly upside-down with the 5th line leash, mostly when too much wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: