Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginners tale of humble pie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostSat Apr 22, 06 10:42 am    Beginners tale of humble pie. Reply with quote

I tell this tale to help save other beginners the same fate.

Sauvies seemed to be the place to go for my first water kite session since last year. Upon arrival kites were high in sky and boards ripping across water. It looked promising but shortly after that view I watched as all kites dropped to the water. It soon picked up again and I quickly moved to gear up and get out on water. After helping launch a few people it was my turn. Luckily my launch helper reminded me to where gloves, in retro spec I’m sure glad he did. The kite gently entered air space and the easy launch quickly cleared my feelings of butterflies. I did a little bit of body dragging with no incident and my feelings of control felt good. I grabbed the board and started working the kite to try and get up. About that time the wind seemed to shut down again and that’s when things started going bad. The kite dropped to the water leading edge down. With little wind and poor relaunch skills I struggled to get kite in launch position. After a short amount of time a gust blew through and kite inverted and then twisted to what looked to be a pretty ugly mess. At that point it was clear I wouldn’t be able to straighten the mess out in the water so I went into self rescue mode. Now let me be clear, I have practiced this procedure before. It didn’t seem difficult when standing in shallow water with an instructor close by. In reality, in deep 45 degree water with the kite in a twisted mess and the current pulling you down river it’s quite a struggle. Winding the lines on bar end to end is difficult to do with all the different forces pulling. What really made things bad was the fact I failed to notice one line was not being wound up with the rest. Before I realized what was going on I found that loose line wound up around my left ankle. Were not talking one or two times but so many that I was unable to get it loose. Due to the fact I was tangled in the lines, the kite was twisted up in a mess and the amount of time I had been in the water, I was feeling pretty helpless. Unable to position myself to body drag properly (because I was tied up in the lines) it was difficult to keep kite in position to pull me back to shore. Finally after trying different maneuvers I found wrapping leading edge lines around one hand and kicking very hard towards shore I was able to make slow but steady progress in the right direction. Finally things seemed to be going my way but it wasn’t over yet. I had been in the water for over an hour and I found myself feeling kind of spacey. I was quite warm from working so hard but without a hood the cold was slowing the thought process of my brain. To add insult to injury my right leg was cramping up. By now I was very close to shore but physically exhausted. With my leg cramp I didn’t know if I could continue kicking. After resting for awhile I did the final push to dry land. I was never so happy to be on tera firma before in my life! After laying on the ground for what seemed to be forever I took up the task of getting untangled. Even on dry land it was not easy to get free, it was tightly wrapped around my ankle at least a dozen times. Finally I had things straighten out enough where I could make the long walk back up river.

So what have I learned from this lesson:
1. Pay closer attention to the wind. If the wind dies and your out in the middle of the river your screwed.
2. Practice relaunch skills in shallow water to perfection before going in the deep stuff.
3. Make sure leading edge is pumped up hard. Don’t know if that’s why my kite twisted up but I’m sure it didn’t make it any easier.
4. In self rescue mode, when winding lines, make sure all lines are wound together. Don’t bother with winding lines bar end to end. Wind lines around center of bar, straighten things out once you get on shore.
5. Make sure kite has self rescue handles, it is very difficult to hold on to edge of kite with tired hands.
6. If you think there a chance you may be in the water for any length of time where a hood. Hypothermia messes with your mind.
7. Carry a hook knife and remember you have one. I have one built into my harness but didn’t think about it while on the water, lines are cheep your life is not.
8. Remember old sea salt kite experts make some of this stuff look easy. Your playing with your life if you don’t plan for and practice self rescue.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Apr 22, 06 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

welcome, I think I was there a few years back. What could have killed you will now make you really appreciate what you should do and make you more confident. Time passes fast when your paddlin around. Line maintenance goes a long way in this sport.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 22, 06 5:47 pm    add to it Reply with quote

I would also add that SI water is deep, and kinda scary for a beginner... i panicked a little when I stepped in, and all of a sudden was in water over my head with a big kite pulling on me. I might leave that spot to you guys for a while until I get more confident.

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostSat Apr 22, 06 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

I also had a bad experience where the wind died and I couldn't relaunch my crossbow. I didn't worry about the lines, just the amount of time I would be in the water (this was back in February or March and the outside temperature was likely in the 40's). My leg also cramped up.

To some degree Sauvies isn't a bad place for this to happen since the wind and water move in opposite directions. When you float down and finally make it to shore, there should still be beach. I was at Viento and the beach isn't very long. However the water is fairly shallow for a long ways. At some points I would guess the water may have been 7 or 8 feet deep. A coworker told me the average columbia river depth is around 8 feed (I think this is for the area near Portland). It's easy for boats and ships to hit the bottom unless they go in a narrow channel.

I learned to trust my instincts. That is if the wind is light and getting lighter, don't mess around, just come in.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I have had so much of that self rescue humble pie I can still taste it when I belch!

Here's my self rescue technique, which I have used probably over a dozen times now....

1) Deploy kite leash so kite depowers
2) Hook kite leash to board (use one of the straps not the handle)
3) Work your way up the leash line to the kite, when you pass the bar be careful not to get tangled
4) (Btw, I never wind my lines while doing this, just too much work and not worth it as you still risk getting tangled.)
5) Once you get to the kite use one of the lines to pull the tips together. If its a big kite thats inflated hard, let a little bit of air out of the LE, it will make it easier to fold.
6) Put kite into self rescue position, sit back and enjoy the ride. Try to find the best spot for the kite where it will pull hardest. If there is any kind of wind you will haul ass back to the beach, much faster than swimming.

Now if your board begins "bass plugging" (where it augurs below the water) just stop for a second and let it resurface, after its on the surface usually it will skim across. If it keeps diving underwater you have the choice of going back to it and adjusting where you attached the leash so that it won't augur so bad. Sometimes it just takes patience.

I have heard that some instructors are teaching this technique rather than the wind your lines up technique. Personally the couple times I tried winding my lines up I made a big mess and almost got tangled up in them.

With the lines hooked to board technique you get back to shore and you can usually sort your lines out in about 2 minutes. Just don't unhook them from the kite right away, try to get them as sorted as you can first. I have often done this where I drug in and my lines came out perfect and I just went back out when the wind came up.

YRMV!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 23, 06 7:58 am     Reply with quote

heya,

man, this is the coolest site, authentic baby!

yeah, self rescue. . .i remember the first time i realized that kiting was not another theme park ride and that the experience can and will eat your lunch if you are unwise, inexperienced or even just unlucky.

it seems to me that spring conditions bring another overlay of concern, that being cold water and fast currents- the rivers are rockin like freight trains right now and cold.

phil, regarding your very helpful notes on self rescue: when you say you attach the kite leash to the board, do you mean to say you are at that point you are completely disattached, free from the rig? man, do you worry about the kite powering up in this situation and flying off downwind without you?

and another thing: how do you swim to the kite in all those lines without getting mixed up like a meatball in your angel hair pasta? should you swim on the upriver/downwind side of the rig?

and phil thanks for the best forum going you lackey you! Smile

jimmi

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 8:35 am     Reply with quote

shastadogs2 wrote:
phil, regarding your very helpful notes on self rescue: when you say you attach the kite leash to the board, do you mean to say you are at that point you are completely disattached, free from the rig? man, do you worry about the kite powering up in this situation and flying off downwind without you?

and another thing: how do you swim to the kite in all those lines without getting mixed up like a meatball in your angel hair pasta? should you swim on the upriver/downwind side of the rig?

Yep, you are detached at that point. However since only the leash line is hooked to the board, the kite should not be able to fully power. Also the board will keep it from getting away fast if you let go at some point.

As far as keeping from not getting tangled.... I'd say the key is always be mindful of where the lines are. If you see them nearby, try to brush them away. If you see lines near your legs try not to kick, just paddle away slowly. Usually the first place lines get caught on me is my harness, so always keep an eye out for that too.

Once you are dragging in using the kite, the lines should all be trailing behind. This is another advantage of the "don't wind up your lines method," the lines all stay dragging behind the kite and not bunched up in a pile in front of you.

Again, I am not saying this method is best, it just works for me. I know that most instructors teach the wind up your lines method, but I have heard some have started to teach the attach to your board method. So obviously the jury is still out on which one is the safest/best.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Apr 23, 06 9:49 am     Reply with quote

extremely helpful...thanks Phil!

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 23, 06 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

i've been there more then once.

i think when you're learning it's very imporatnt to try and get "good" wind. i.e. if you see all the kites crash at once, it might not be such a good idea to throw your kite up 10 minutes later.

what you want to see is 9-13m kites crashing only when their owners are doing tricks. that is the best wind to learn on.

once you are better then push the envelope with gustier conditions.

just my two cents.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Apr 23, 06 1:16 pm    Re: Yeah, fun stuff Reply with quote

[quote="brucey"]
Thanks to the bro who came way upwind and checked on me...

Your welcome. . . "pay it forward" when someone else is in need.

Here are some other good words of advice for both newbiees and the seasoned:

Wind Slither:
"Beach Etiquette: Some of us have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get some water time. There is nothing more frustrating than riders who just plop there gear all over the beach. Be considerate when rigging and especially when landing.
-stack kites when not in use on the beach
-roll up lines if leaving them out will cause problems
-rig perpendicular to the wind to allow for more rigging space! (see graphic below)"

Graphic and other great knowledge about SI are in the SPOTS section of this site. The upside down boat is now located 30 + yds up steam of the nude volleyball court. FYI

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Apr 23, 06 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

Someone (wink wink) needs to pitch the remaining wood back into the river and make some more room at Sauvies.

If anyone is interested I would be willing to meet this week and help out.
~M

www.naishkites.com

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostMon Apr 24, 06 6:40 am     Reply with quote

All good stuff, thanks for the helpful advice!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Apr 24, 06 7:55 am    wow even tame conditions can be ???? Reply with quote

these tales bring back some distant memories,but spending my beginnings at South Padre was a big help,,standing room only,for sure a character builder

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Apr 24, 06 8:55 am     Reply with quote

I would also add, If your a beginner/Intermediate rider or for that matter a pro and your riding along. Be sure someone on the beach is at least aware of that fact so if you do get in trouble someone is there to make sure you make it back to the beach and can call in a boat if necessary.

come july august, its much more pleasant to just float down the river casually getting your self back to the beach.

another note: Dress for the water temperature not the air temperature. even on those spring days when is 80 out. the cold water will kill your energy fast.

We all need to keep an eye on our fellow kiters especially during the spring when the wind is a little messy and the water is cold and fast. sounds like everybody did sat.

cheers to those guys who were looking out for others Very Happy

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Apr 24, 06 11:13 am     Reply with quote

PKH excellent self rescue description. I'm not proud to say i have tried both techniques several times? Kite leash attached to board gets you heading to shore way sooner, trying to roll up your lines while the kite pulls you downwind is a major pain. And thanks for suggesting to let some air out of the LE in the stress of wanting to get back to shore I keep forgetting that's an option and end up wrestling with the kite trying to bring the tips of a 16m together. (in the videos they always seem to demo self rescue using an underinflated 7m kite)

paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: