Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

KID Cluster at the Spit today! Just a vent.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boarderchick

Since 10 Aug 2007
196 Posts
Wherever there's wind:-)
Stoked

PostThu Jul 03, 08 9:32 am     Reply with quote

My whole thing was about safety. The fact that kids were grabbing kiters, purposely crossing in front of them, and then blocking them was my concern. If there were a way we could figure this out that would be great. I was surprised that the Corp of Engineers didn't lower the water level for this week, and especially this weekend.

Anyhow, I typically woudn't vent, but there were about 30 kids there, and they were everywhere. Noone seemed to be watching them. There was one adult that actually asked one of the girls what she was looking for and requested that she stop kicking the kite lines everywhere, and be careful when people were launching and landing, as they'd stand in the way and right in front of the kiters. Then the dogs off-leash or even on-leash getting stuck in lines as kites are being launched.

I love the Gorge and love riding here. We have other places to kite, and we typically just get up and get out of there and go to Wells. Just so happened to be in HR yesterday during the day so went to the Spit.

Anyway, would love to hear any recommendations that we could all give to the CGKA to see how we could help keep things safe;-)

Happy Riding, it's a great day out........

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu Jul 03, 08 9:41 am    At 3pm when the class started the wind was light. Reply with quote

At 3:30ish the guy who puts quarters in the machine that creates the wind inserted a fistfull of fury!

The wind jumped, and I mean major hops, into the 15 to 20 range. The spit at this point only had 2 guys rigging 13 meter kites.

Within 30min. est. the kiting hoards had arrived and the classes of kids were out and about.

Crazy conditions make for crazy results. I don't think that it is fair to just blame it all on the guys trying to teach kiting at the spit.

Let's keep it in perspective: the conditions were unexpected to say for sure. People were having to rerig thier 10's to 7's ect. This made for some very interesting situations.

On top of this the gusty conditions caused many, and I mean experts, to dump their kites.

Let's hope the guy who puts quarters in the machine had a cam on the spit and posts the vids a U tube.

Ron Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 03, 08 10:15 am     Reply with quote

2005-2006 seasons I think I only went to the sandbar 4 or 5 times each year. That's back when it was tiny and it was a huge cluster fuck riding around. Then it got big and now I go 4 times a week on average.

Its fun going there because it’s a social center and it has a nice combo of flat water and swell riding, but crowds annoy me... Might have to switch back to old style.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostThu Jul 03, 08 10:24 am     Reply with quote

i just avoid HR all together, unless its seriously off-hours.
thankfully the tricky launch at stevenson keeps people away.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 03, 08 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Ah, the coast.........

Never kited the spit
Never kited Stevenson
Never kited the Gorge
Scares me to death

10 people on a mile of wide sandy beach is a crowd here
You guys just have more consistency

(Note I'm trying out Blowhard's style of posting)

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostThu Jul 03, 08 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
Ah, the coast.........

(Note I'm trying out Blowhard's style of posting)

You forgot to mention the sharks and hazardous swell......I love it when they post that.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 03, 08 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

I love these posts not long ago I remember some of you being the kooks..

and before the kooks asking the annual questions on this forum you were probably in the way of some ripper too... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

saftey first but maybe carry some of said fliers in your kite bags and let them read them when your walking out to set up, prior to trying to launch trough them.

I wouldn't give them the flier it would probaly be just trash in no time, just let them read it. Wink

never ridden at the spit theres plenty other good spots when the zoo is going off.

you really don't want to get to pissy on the tourists that are bringing the cash to town ....

you may want them to come back with more cash sometime in the future. Idea

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Jul 03, 08 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

I am the tourist bringing cash into town. Be nice to me plz Wink

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 03, 08 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Fuck the little kids... Throw rocks at them!

LOL, Little One

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 03, 08 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

You should probably go back and re-read the entire post, cause you sound like you've missed the point. You can pretend this is about better riders wanting all the room for themselves, but you have little insight into the problem cause like you said, you've never ridden here. You really are missing out, it's a pretty magical spot.

Sure, cash coming into town is priority number one, I'm not dense. I just see how this town's recreation industry is failing at the hands of the Port. So, how does a kiteboard instruction industry in Hood River expect to grow with such congestion?

registered wrote:
never ridden at the spit theres plenty other good spots when the zoo is going off.

you really don't want to get to pissy on the tourists that are bringing the cash to town ....

you may want them to come back with more cash sometime in the future. Idea

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 03, 08 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

nothing against you forrest, your always pretty positive with regards to the sport and the scene ect.

just throwing ideas out there.

to much writing in many posts definitely gets skimmed( balue) Twisted Evil

its about the instant .... brief well stated points to keep the a.d.d in the NOW when reading posts. Wink

guess what ther will be more people at every launch in most summer areas for the rest of the summer people...

make some new friends and enjoy it....

Ive been to the gorge plenty , its very magical everyone should go there Twisted Evil

happy 4th ...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jul 03, 08 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

I like people - some of my best friends are people - more people = better people watching - feel sorta jipped I missed the whole lord of the flies scene

kids with trainer kites boo hoo

crowds 4th of July - no way

the solitude of the coast is fine

but some times you need to jump in the mosh pit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 04, 08 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Ahhhh Yes! Right on the $$ Gman!!

"But I can't throw my legit moves with all these "People" in the way...."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: