Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gear talk on Industry forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Mar 04, 06 8:31 pm    Gear talk on Industry forum? Reply with quote

Hey all, what's the thoughts and feelings about moving gear related threads into their own forum? I was thinking about maybe the Industry forum.

I know that KiteForum lost a lot of its best posters when it switched to being all about gear (hell I have over 2000 posts there and I haven't been back in months.) People are very passionate about their gear and I have seen explosive arguments arise from otherwise quiet, reasonable individuals.

I really don't want to see that happen here... even if it means a lot less traffic and posts... I'd rather keep the small number of posts with good vibe than have kiteforum level of traffic and flame wars. Photos, session reports, spot and weather knowledge... those are the threads that everyone loves to read.

Then again, getting feedback on gear can be very valuable, and ultimately we'll see way more posts if we keep those subjects on the main forum. Maybe because we all pretty much know each other the threads will remain civil. Whereas on KiteForum when somebody is on the other side of the world who cares if you flame them.

Let me know what you all think!

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSat Mar 04, 06 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

Uh - good gear is cool and all - but it's just GEAR. Personal preferance. I don't personally mind threads on gear - and some can be quite helpfull. I think the Hatteras crew got it right when they said Kiteboarding isn't about tech-ing out - it's about throwin' down the sickest moves you can and ridin' hard. Anyways, if riders are pissed at each other because they prefer different gear - that's just lame.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 04, 06 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

i like the forum the way it is. personally im not usually to interested in gear posts, there are always mixed reviews, and i already have my gear dialed... i would say leave it alone!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Mar 05, 06 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Seems cool the way it is now to me too, but then again, maybe some of the 'problem' is me? Wink Do what you gotta do though, Phil. It won't really bother me either way. Thumb's Up

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 05, 06 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Just to be clear I don't think right now there is any problem whatsoever, we are all the good natured sort and everyone is downright civil and polite.

But if you go back in time 4 years that's what KiteForum used to be like too... I am just trying to peek into the crystal ball and see what's in store.

We are quite a bit different than Kiteforum though in that we are not international but rather centered around a local geography. So I think people would tend to avoid getting in flame wars with others who then might want to launch their kites some day.

Then again, take a peek over at oregonsurf.com's forums, there's a whole lotta flaming going on over there, and they are all local.... then again, surfers are pretty agro. Very Happy

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 05, 06 1:04 pm    gear posts Reply with quote

yeah phil, i'm with you, i too would like to keep the nwkite forum something that reflects this very cool pursuit. as we used to say in cycling, its not about the bike (lance stole that from me, lol.)

maybe we should remember another truism: kindness is the foundation of wisdom.

love, peace, kites

jimbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: