Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What choice for toasty titties?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shstadogs2

PostMon Feb 27, 06 7:07 am    What choice for toasty titties? Reply with quote

Heya,

What do you guys/gals wear against the cold in the NW? I have been wearing a full suit in 3mm, actually an old waterski setup that works fine in the Spring/Summer @ HR, but I am going to try to get in the water earlier and also take the Pacific Plunge this year.

So. . .what do you guys wear? Is a dry suit the way to go? Oceon Rodeo looks like a killer drysuit for a gazillion dollars. If not, what size wetsuit in the waves? Hoods? Booties? Gloves?

Thanks ahead,

jimbo

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Feb 27, 06 8:07 am     Reply with quote

4/3 all year in the ocean observing the 50/ 50 rule.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 27, 06 8:58 am     Reply with quote

I haven't used anything warmer than a 4/3 either since I started kiting. Last year I got a Oneill 4/3 steamer (glued seams), which is quite a bit warmer than my old regular 4/3.

Gloves, booties, hood... those seem to matter a lot more than an extra mm of rubber. I do like how the 5 mil suits usually have a built in hood. My old ripcurl had a snap in hood that would replace the neck gasket, that was pretty nice.

Figure you are going to want a 4/3 90% of the cold days... on the other days if you really want to be warm and comfy, probably a drysuit is best.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 27, 06 8:58 am     Reply with quote

same here, 4/3 full no booties or hood. I ride all year in the pacific and keep plenty warm in this setup.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 27, 06 9:21 am     Reply with quote

I hate the cold and to be cold so I wear my 4/3 full suit a lot of the time. When it is warm enough, i'll put on my 2mm shortie and when I really want to be warm I wear my 2mm shortie then put on my 4/3 full suit over it. If I need more I pull out the hood, 1.5 mm gloves and 3mm booties. Yeah my mobility is encumbered a little. I may be purchasing a 5/4 for the extra cold waters this yr.

I'd say half the time i'm in the ocean I wear the 4.3 w/ the 2 mm shortie and no gloves, boots or hood and I believe I sailed in the ocean about 20+ times last season.

The thing about the ocean, one can cool down rather quickly if one is in the water for any amount of time. Especially down at Lincoln City and Manz. where the cold up-whelling ocean waters are extra CHILLY.

my 2 cents. . . Rolling Eyes

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 27, 06 9:34 am     Reply with quote

With all that fur Sasquatch, I wouldn’t think you would need anything more than a harness & a thong!!! Wink

Sasquatch Thong.jpg 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Feb 27, 06 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
With all that fur Sasquatch, I wouldn’t think you would need anything more than a harness & a thong!!! Wink

Sasquatch in his 6/5 getup (obviously not a windy day, alternate hunting activities).

quatch.jpg 

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Feb 27, 06 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:

Assquatch. Wink

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Feb 27, 06 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Getting in the Ocean is different then the Columbia. Come spring time the Columbia will be around 40 degree. 5/3 or 4/3 is a minimum with booties and hood. Gloves are optional.

I have been windsurfing and now kiting in the ocean for 10 years and a good 4/3 is all you need. Some wear booties, some wear a hood just depends on the person and the day and person.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Feb 27, 06 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

I can get away with a 3/2 down here at Newport/Lincoln City, but most definately not up north where the water temp drops 5-10 degrees (around the Columbia's mouth). As everyone said, I'm sure you'll be fine with a 4/3, or something close. My roommate, JP, had his kite in the water for 20-30 mins at South Jetty a couple weeks back, and he said he was never once cold in his 5/4/3 with booties.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 27, 06 10:19 pm     Reply with quote

5/4 Ripcurl Super Elasto for the cold days in the winter and spring, and for surfing year-round, otherwise a Hotline 4/3 hoodless fly-zip for typical summer kiting here on the coast. I never wear booties (hate-em!). Better to be warmer than necessary in the ocean, and not get hypothermic when the inevitable breakdown comes.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Feb 28, 06 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

my 5/4/3 bodyglove matix
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Feb 28, 06 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

yea i second that my body glove matrix is sooo nice.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 01, 06 9:44 am    diversity Reply with quote

4-3.

If still cold,
Add hood.

If still cold,
Add booties.

If still cold,
Replace hood with hooded vest (keeps core warm)

If still cold,
Add Polypro

If still cold, then its time to invest in airfare to South Padre Island or The Baja.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Mar 03, 06 1:02 pm    this weekend wind... Reply with quote

I haven't been out to the gorge this spring yet, and wondering where to go....depending on the wind, is Rooster ridable..? Anyone have plans for tomm. ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: