Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Professional Photographer advice
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostMon Jan 30, 06 11:03 pm    Stick with Canon glass Reply with quote

Good choices on the 20D and 70-200 (Are you getting the 70-200 2.8?). I would stick with the Canon glass. If you ever decide to re-sell or trade up, it will hold its value much better, and overall, it's just a better lens. I would also say the 16-35 would be an excellent wide angle zoom. A little pricey, but it's a lens I can't live without. Almost all of my work from the water is shot on this lens..it's nice and sharp all the way through the focal length.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jan 31, 06 2:10 pm    Re: Stick with Canon glass Reply with quote

tacksharp wrote:
Good choices on the 20D and 70-200 (Are you getting the 70-200 2.8?). I would stick with the Canon glass. If you ever decide to re-sell or trade up, it will hold its value much better, and overall, it's just a better lens. I would also say the 16-35 would be an excellent wide angle zoom. A little pricey, but it's a lens I can't live without. Almost all of my work from the water is shot on this lens..it's nice and sharp all the way through the focal length.

Yes I am going to go with the 70-200 F2.8
I have a buddy who is pushing me towards the 100-300 but it is F3.5?? I think. What do u think of that?

thanks again for the insight
Mark

www.naishkites.com

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Jan 31, 06 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a 20D(Mint) and grip(perfect) with 3 batteries that I think I'll be selling here soon. PM me if interested.

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostTue Jan 31, 06 8:48 pm    Highly recommend Reply with quote

Hey..Mark..I highly recommend getting a hold of Lance (Ion), is a terrific guy and a first rate photographer. Getting a local deal through him would be an excellent option..

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Feb 01, 06 4:59 pm    Re: Highly recommend Reply with quote

tacksharp wrote:
Hey..Mark..I highly recommend getting a hold of Lance (Ion), is a terrific guy and a first rate photographer. Getting a local deal through him would be an excellent option..

I have Pm'd Lance.

What do u think of the 100-300?
thanks for all your input.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostWed Feb 01, 06 5:14 pm    100-300 Reply with quote

Mark:
It really depends on what you primarily want to use the lens for. The 70-200 2.8 is truly an impressive piece of glass. Probably one of the best lenses made by Canon. The 100-300 is nice is well. First off, if it is a 'push-pull' lens (I'll look it up and PM you), then I definitely do NOT recommend it. I wish Canon would just dump that type of zoom. They all suck. Secondly, I'm not sure if it is an f3.5 at 100 and 300, the maximum f stop might change at the long end meaning it is an f3.5/4.5, or f/3.5 to 5.6 lens (I'll check that too), and if so, I don't recommend that. That is a pretty dark lens in reality. Shooting your sons football games would be twice as hard with such a small maximum aperture. Now, having said all of that, the 70-200 is not a very long lens. For grabbing action out in the water, it really won't get you far. You will get some magnification at the top end due to the 20D's smaller sensor, however, it still won't be that much. I guess my gut feeling would be to buy the 70-200 F2.8IS and get the 1.4x extender. I think it runs around $400, and it's wonderful. You won't notice any decrease in image quailty, and it will get you further than the 100-300, while still retaining a fast f-stop ability. Hope this makes sense. Just my two cents. Other shooters might disagree or have other advice. The main thing is that you are going with Canon. Nikon will never catch up, and just doesn't hold a candle. I once shot a Nikon side-by-side with my Canon - it wasn't even close. The depth in detail is by far better on the Canon, that is why you will see pure white lenses at any NFL, NBA or any other major sporting event. Canon Rules!!

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostWed Feb 01, 06 5:54 pm    Stick with 70-200 2.8 Reply with quote

Hey Mark:
I did a quick check, and indeed, the 100-300 is f4.5/5.6...a very slow lens .. LOL...in fact I owned this lens once with an older EOS Elan, and well, it's a piece of crap. It's cheap, and it's price reflects its quality. The zoom function is sticky, and overall, I think I used it once and promptly sold it on Ebay. Stick with the L70-200 2.8 IS and get the 1.4 extender. Really...Remember, your lens will stay with you long after upgrade bodies as digi technology grows. And the lens is where all great images start.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostThu Feb 02, 06 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I have also done quite abit of research on the net and think you are right on. I have decided the 70-200 with a 1.4 is the way I will go.

Have you been following the gossip on the upcoming show? Rumour has it there is a 30D-35D coming out. It may have a Active screen on the back like the point and shoot cameras. Olympus has already showen pics of their camera that does it. Sounds like there is alot of cool stuff coming down the line.

once again thanks for all the help. I have a cold frosty one for you guys!!

www.naishkites.com

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue Feb 21, 06 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your input.

Canon has announced the new line up for 06. They now have a 30D which will replace the 20D. Here is a link. Please let me know what you guys think of it.
thanks in advance.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022114canoneos30d.asp

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: