Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wetsuits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Dec 21, 05 9:04 pm    Wetsuits Reply with quote

I get to exchange gifts early with my girlfriend because we go back to Alabama for Christmas. Being the wonderful girlfriend she is she gave me a Rip Curl 4/3 Fireskin GB aqaban steamer. Being from Alabama I am not used to wetsuits for extremely cold water so I am wondering if this will do for the entire year in the Columbia River and Pacific. She also got me 3m booties and the wetsuit does not have a hoodie but it looks like you can buy one seperately. Does this sound like I will be warm even in the winter? Also would it be worth exchanging it for a wetsuit with a built in hoodie or will a seperate one be just fine.

My last question is how tight should it fit? I only have a limited time that I can do an exchange so I want to go ahead and make sure it fits properly before I go home for christmas. I have heard the streamers are supposed to fit very tight so that you do not get flushing. How tight is tight? Tight but not cutting off my circulation?

Happy Hollidays to you all,
Scribble

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Dec 21, 05 10:30 pm     Reply with quote

might be all you need, I have never gone thicker than 4/3 steamer, though I don't venture out these days now that its really cold. Having the sealed seams makes a huge difference. Also hoods, booties, gloves make all the difference in the winter/early spring. You will probably want a shorty for the summer months, they can be found realtively cheap though ($75-$125.)

As far as fitting, I'd say if you can put it on comfortably its too big... it should take some effort, but not be impossible. I'm 5'10 / 170lbs and mediums in both ripcurl and oneill usually fit me just perfect.

Last edited by pkh on Wed Dec 21, 05 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 21, 05 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

when in doubt about water temp and whether you will be safe, get in the water and stay there for a few minutes. if you are immediately (2 minutes) cold, you are not going to be safe. do not dress for surfing around on top of the water, instead dress to swim back to shore in the event you have a problem.

not sure what the water temps are in 'winter' as you say, but i'm guessing a 4/3 will not be enough. question is, do you really want to be out there in the winter or just later into fall and earlier in the spring. 4/3 will get you an extended season for sure.

apparently to test a good fit, you grab the lower back area. everything should be tight, but the lower back area should have some room to at least grab some suit. if you can grab some suit in the lower back, try on a smaller size and see if you can still grab some suit, repeat until you can't grab suit in the lower back and get the next larger size.

Smile

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostThu Dec 22, 05 5:08 am     Reply with quote

4/3 should cover most of the season around here. Having the seams blindstitched and glued makes a big difference. The suit should be tight and also make sure the legs and arms are the appropriate length, or you will start to get water pooling up in your suit.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Dec 22, 05 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

The suit is tight, real tight, but I can get it on barely. I can grab a little suit in my back. All the lengths seem fine but it is uncomfortably tight. So much it seems like its choking me and the arms seem too tight. I'm thinking I probably need one size larger.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostThu Dec 22, 05 10:58 pm    Size Chart Reply with quote

http://www.promotionwetsuits.com/web/men_sizing.cfm

Size Chart

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Dec 23, 05 8:26 am     Reply with quote

It might stretch a bit, but you don't want it so tight that its cutting off circulation. Mine is a bit tight on my neck...

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Dec 23, 05 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Well I exchanged it and got one size larger. Still fits tight but I think I will be able to have it on for an extended session without breaking any blood vessels in my neck. I also went ahead and got a 5/3 because it was only 20 more dollars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: