Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

just starting out - gorge or sauvie island?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bobg

PostThu Dec 15, 05 2:52 pm    just starting out - gorge or sauvie island? Reply with quote

I'm a long term Gorge windsurfer that is interested in branching out into kiting this summer. Where is the best place around Portland to learn? I see plenty of people out at the sand spit in Hood River, but I've also heard that Sauvie Island is a good spot (though it seems not windy enough). Also, who are the best shops for lessons/rentals?
thanks,
bobg

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Dec 15, 05 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Sauvies is a good spot, but I'm not sure that it's the "BEST" for learning, only because the water gets deep decently fast. It's just nice to be able to touch when you're first starting out (can't really use the board for floatation as you can with a windsurfing board). From a wind standpoint, it will never be as good as the Gorge. Most days out at Sauvies during the summer I'm either solid or slightly underpowered on my 11m (I weigh ~140lbs). Out in the Gorge (mostly at Lyle), I'm just about always on my 7m, solid to overpowered at times. If you're looking for a shop to get lessons/rentals from around Portland, check out All Surf Industry. They should be able to help ya out. Good luck!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Dec 16, 05 6:20 am     Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

Everything Kataku said plus don't dismiss the Coast. Those light steady winds that may have frustrated you as a windsurfer are really nice for kiting. The wide open spaces you find there are not usually available at Sauvies or the Gorge. Some of the river inlets offer shallow flat water that's perfect. www.summerinseaside.com is putting togther some packages and kite camps for this summer. Stay tuned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: