Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

RR is crazy - where else to launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Nov 17, 05 10:39 am    RR is crazy - where else to launch? Reply with quote

RR is going nuts, further west the wind moderates anyone figured out any spots to launch? It looks like repeat performances tomorrow and Saturday would like to keep working on my kite skills but may just have to jump on my windsurf gear instead.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 17, 05 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Hell yea it is... and this is just what iKitesurf is reading! Shocked

CorbettNov17.gif 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 17, 05 11:26 am     Reply with quote

There is no good (sandy) launches until you get to the Airport spot. But if you drive along Marine Dr. you will see there are plenty of spots to climb down the rocks.

Last year on a day like this a few of us did a downwinder from the houseboats on the east end of Marine Dr. to just below the I205 bridge. Yes we ducked the bridge. Shocked

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostThu Nov 17, 05 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Some days when it's too windy at Rooster, the downwinder from Home Valley to Stevenson can be really fun. You can get an idea of how windy it is there by checking: http://www.saw.net/scenic/image.jpg

If you're willing to make a drive, a lot of days when it's nukin at Rooster and Stevenson, it will be incredibly steady 12-16m kiting at Viento state park, with really smooth water. Some days it's too light there, and some days it shuts off in the afternoon, but many times it's really good. The launch is rocky, not sandy. On an east wind, the launch is a little bit sheltered, so I have done some drift launches there. It's pretty shallow way out. Watch out for the big channel marker.

Another note about Viento. If you ever kite there on WESTERLIES, watch out for the psycho northerly gusts when launching. I got a pretty scary hot launch there in 2000, and have seen a few others there since then. A friend of mine was launching another friend when the northerly devil wind hit. This resulted in a very hot launch that yarded him up into the trees. He was very lucky to walk away with serious bruises. This isn't a problem on easterlies.

Spencer

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Nov 17, 05 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Amazing that the airport can be reading Calm when Corbett is clocking 50.

The gradient just starting trending down, but it's still huge. Mad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Nov 17, 05 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

Woodland looked good today. White caps and coming out of the north northwest. 18-20 but alittle gusty.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostThu Nov 17, 05 5:08 pm    One other good spot Reply with quote

When Rooster is nuking a good spot is near Camas/Washougal. Sandy beach and good wind between washington side and island.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 17, 05 6:51 pm    Re: One other good spot Reply with quote

hbrico wrote:
When Rooster is nuking a good spot is near Camas/Washougal. Sandy beach and good wind between washington side and island.

Good to know. Thumb's Up

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 17, 05 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Drove to NSI in HR today to pick up some gear. The east wind was screaming through Rooster & was gusting close to 60mph at Dalton Point. Check out the smoking devil wind in the picture below (looking west toward RR)... Shocked I swear I saw a small twister form out on the water. Needless to say, my kites stayed in the car Mad ~D

Devil Wind.sm.JPG 

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Nov 18, 05 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Is the site in Camas cottonwood beach or somewhere further west? I checked out Cottonwood recently but it was calm in a huge wind shadow created by Reed island. Last week i walked all the way east along the trail that starts at Cottonwood but after about a mile you hit a private property marker before reaching access to the main river channel. If anyone knows the land owners just east of Steigerwald NWR and could get them to grant access that would probably be a lot mellower than RR. On a nuker i once windsurfed by the mouth of the Washougal river - it was terrible!! If their is another spot with cleaner wind would be great to know. Mark - I thought Woodland / Kalama was blowing in the afternoon yesterday. Friends were golfing at Kelso and complaining how windy it was........

paul

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Nov 18, 05 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Any of you long timers..... Where is the spot to be today? or Sat?
thanks in advance.

Yes Woodland and Kalama would have been great. Maybe thats the ticket today?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Nov 18, 05 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Looks like another east wind nuker tomorrow.

Troutdale.gif 

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Nov 18, 05 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Phil,
Do u find that enviro model to be about 10-12 mph less than whats really going on? IF so, today looks pretty good at RR.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Nov 18, 05 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Phil,
Do u find that enviro model to be about 10-12 mph less than whats really going on? IF so, today looks pretty good at RR.

Not sure, if Troutdale shows 10-20, Rooster always seems like its nuking so I just check the sensors in the morning and 10mph.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 18, 05 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

pkh, what's the "program" you're using for wind above? Looks pretty cool, and more organized than iKitesurf...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostFri Nov 18, 05 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
pkh, what's the "program" you're using for wind above? Looks pretty cool, and more organized than iKitesurf...

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KTTD&model=eta&state=OR&Submit=Change+Location

Mark

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 18, 05 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome... Thanks Mark! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: