Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

San Diego kiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Nov 08, 05 1:56 pm    San Diego kiting? Reply with quote

Have a business trip down South next week and was considering taking an extra day to play in the surf...should I bring my kite this time of year, and if so what size if you could only pack one size? Heard Coronado may be worth a look...

mapperv2.jpg 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Nov 08, 05 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

SD can be ok in the fall/winter - bring your biggest kite and board. You have a better chance of good surf but the standout spots to kite are Silver Strand beach, just South of Coronado where the "20" is on your graphic. There's a good shop there in Coronado that will demo a big board and a helpful crew. Other good spot is way North at Tourmaline park. This is the Northern most point of Pacific Beach.

Have fun.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Nov 08, 05 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Holy guacamole! 20mph is like nuclear there.

Those guys must be stoked!

Everytime I have been it blew consistently 11mph pretty much all day, peaked around noon at 12-13mph. Never gotten enough wind to really do it, but I didn't have a Glide or Skim with me either so you may have better luck Colby.

Silver Strand is a beautiful beach even just to sit on though. Saw a bunch of dolphins only 200 ft offshore when I was there, pretty sweet. Supposedly you can get a bit more wind at some of the other spots in town, but I never tried.

Good luck!

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 08, 05 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

San Diego's my home town, Del Mar actually. - Dano and I kite there a couple of times a year and always bring our biggest kites and boards. You will be lucky to see the wind go over 12 knots, but it's always steady.

We've found the most success at the Silver Strand and Sail Bay at Mission Bay. We checked out Tourmaline surf beach in La Jolla, but it was packed with surfers like sardines, and it's a pretty small spot. We also rode near the rivermouth at Del Mar beach and it was pretty nice. There are lots of rideable spots along the coast if you can find wind . - Very Happy Tonski

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Nov 08, 05 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the quick responses on this...very helpful! Now I know which area to look for a hotel as well....

thanks again,

Colby

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Nov 08, 05 5:22 pm    S.D> Reply with quote

I was at Tourmline in June and saw a kiter get in a fight with a bunch of surfers. Lots of dudes bobbing for waves + fluky light wind+ tons of people on the beach = bad news.

This place is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Silver Strand is nice when it works

wheels

Since 14 May 2005
29 Posts

PostSun Nov 13, 05 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in San Clemente right now, just about 45 min north of San Diego. There isn't much riding here (although a local friend of mine does downwinders if it sets up right), but another 45 min north of here, in the Long Beach area, there are several spots to kite: Seal Beach, Hunington Beach, Belmont....etc. I'd fill you in on the details of how riding is there, but I didn't bring any gear with me... just visiting family this time.

There are a few local shops there, who could fill you in on what their season is like right now. Sorry, but I forgot the names of the shops, maybe check in the back of The Kiteboarder magazine for their list, if you're interested.

Brian Wheeler

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Nov 13, 05 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Brian for the info...I'm bringing my 20M, 12M flat kite, my Glide board and crossing my fingers.

I also found some decent info off the kiteforum 'beaches' website for the San Diego area: http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/viewspot.php?id=866

The worst thing possible is I'm sitting on a beach reading a book in the sun...as they say a San Diego weatherman has the easiest job on the planet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: