Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thailand/Vietnam Kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Nov 08, 05 3:49 pm    Thailand/Vietnam Kiting Reply with quote

If anybody knows someone who has kited Thailand or Vietnam, please let me know. I'll be over there for 2.5 months February through April. It would be helpful to know which size(s) to bring, if I bring equipment at all.
Thanks.

Jim

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostTue Nov 08, 05 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I know that Doug Sax (the guy who lives in Rufus) has taught kiteboarding lessons in Vietnam. Sounded pretty good over there. I don't know his phone number or e-mail, but Mel & Rex are very good friends with Sax, so if you run into them, they should know how to get in touch.

Haven't kited with you in a while. Sure has been miserable weather. Hoping for sunny easterlies tomorrow!

Spencer

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostTue Nov 08, 05 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I just remembered that Rutger Engbersen has kited in Thailand. He was there for a family wedding, and got some good steady wind, too. He's listed in the HR phone book, so you might try calling him.

Spencer

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostWed Nov 09, 05 7:19 am     Reply with quote

thailand kiting is light and unreliable. the beaches are awesome, the entertainment fullfilling, and food is hot. that's about it.

vietnam is the place to go. there is no sense in going anywhere else. look for a place on the map called Phan Thiet, it's about a 3 hour drive NE from HCMC. Mui Nei bay is a couple kilo's north of that town and is the is where the wind and beach are located. winds start around 10am and go till around 4:30-5. the afternoons get an added thermal thrust of about 5knots from the sand dunes behind the bay. i spent 10 days there during lunar new year last year and rode my 9m and 13m every day but spent the majority of the time on my 9. Dec to April is the north monsoon so it is likely to be this way every freaking day during your tenure. if i could i would get myself a bungalow on the beach and simply reside there until i perish, it's that awesome.

PM me and i can give you the full low down, i've got a buddy that has a school there, a shop, and works with slingy so he's a valuable asset. i'm likely to be coming through there this lunar new year as well so we

btw, the full moon parties are NOT to be missed!

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Nov 11, 05 9:21 am     Reply with quote

here's a link for one of the more reliable spots on the beach in vietnam. he's been there for a few years and knows the place inside and out. it's a great starting point...

http://www.airwaveskitesurfing.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: