Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newport and Lincoln City "report" for today (Nov.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 04, 05 9:46 pm    Newport and Lincoln City "report" for today (Nov. Reply with quote

So, JP and I got to Siletz around noon, in the middle of a complete downpour and probably the most wind I've EVER been in. iKitesurf said it peaked out at 25 gusting to 35 right about then (in the bay it felt like a solid 30-35 with gusts easily over 40), but who knows where their sensor is located. Around 12:15 I launched JP on his Fuel 9, but before he could get on his board some lovely gusts helped him boost four or five 20ft skips (kite in neutral, overhead) into the middle of the bay. After that I decided to not put up my 7m, and just packed up my stuff. We then drove north to Safeway, got some chips a few donuts, fed seagulls at Roads End again, and chilled until the sun/blue sky started to burn through. Headed back south to Mo's where we were just thrilled to find next to no wind, and decided to try South Jetty, Newport since we had decent luck last time. Got there around 2:00, put up my 7m and JP's 9m (sky looked pretty sketchy-stormy offshore), but had to switch to the 11m/13m after only a few minutes. Rode for a couple hours, then decided to call it quits right as the wind began to shut off. Packed up all of our shit in a torrential downpour (again the craziest rain I've ever had to roll a sandy kite up in) and luckily managed to get it all into the back of JP's S2K. The drive back to Corvallis was going normal till we got a few miles out of Philomath, when traffic just stopped. JP's tank was on 'E' and we were making exellent progress... In the first 30 minutes we moved roughly 200 feet, but after an hour and a half we were rolling again. Turns out that a few miles up the road there was what looked to be a pretty bad accident. First big truck had a smashed front, second car was destroyed front and rear (like no engine, no trunk), and the last big truck looked like the paint had been burnt? So all in all our normal 45 minute drive ended up taking around two and a half hours, but we never ran out of gas either! Very Happy

P.S. - Sorry I rambled on for sooooo long.

Oh and yea, can anyone else not stand coast/saltwater? I seriously have some getting used to, because even the smallest amount on my lips makes me gag... Sad It's not like good ol' east Columbia water!

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Tue Nov 08, 05 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Nov 04, 05 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

Can you post some info about siletz? Where to launch, wind directions, kiteable tide states, currents, any hidden hazards? How big was the swell and wind chop at Newport?

Thanks

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 04, 05 11:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'm probably not the best person to get info from as we really just started kiting there, but hopefully this will help ya out a bit. Heading north on 101 from Newport (heading south on 101, it's probably around a mile after Mo's) we turn on a side street just before this little art muesum with lots of metal pieces/wind chimes outside (not a great description, but I'm not quite sure on the name). Anywho, from there you head straight back into the neighborhood which is still on the east side of the bay. Most of the side streets to the right (bay side) are dead ends and one of the first ones has a "beach access" path. There's ONE parking spot infront of the little bathroom. From there it's a 200ft walk to the water.

Setup can be a pain in the ass, especially on a day like today when the tide's considerably high (today was about 7 feet positive) as there's not a whole lot of beach, but it's just more work. We had, I'd say 5 feet at max of beach today, but again it all depends on the tide height. When the tide is equal, or even negative, you can have an easy 50-100 feet of beach.

The wind now (as winter approaches) seems to be generally south to south/southwest. I've only kited there once on a north day, and that was a couple months back. For the S to SSW wind we're always looking for the tide to be rising (opposing the wind) and vise versa on a N 'day'.

Again, I'm sure there's other stuff to watch out for, but the main and obvious thing would be the massive stumps, logs, and driftwood fixed and floating in the bay. On an average tide height day, most of the bay is waste deep, (excluding the channel) so it's pretty easy to see the fixed pieces of wood that don't really ever move.

The swell at Newport wasn't too bad as we were riding within the jetty, but the biggest we saw was probably around 5-6 feet, and there wasn't much wind chop at all.

I'm just typing quick so I know this may not be the clearest, but I'll get a satellite pic of the bay which will at least give you a more visual picture.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 04, 05 11:50 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a satellite pic that I drew on a bit! A couple things that I forgot to mention are, the farther "in" (east on the map) you launch, the more of a wind shadow there is, and as you can see in the pic, a lot of the bay looks like land. I'm pretty sure that the picture was just taken on a low tide day, because we couldn't touch out there yesterday. Not a biggie though.

Siletz.jpg 

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Sat Nov 05, 05 11:01 am; edited 5 times in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Nov 05, 05 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Awesome report man... keep em coming.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Nov 05, 05 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Thanks - it's great to have some coast locations in mind that aren't actually in the ocean trying to deal with huge winter swell. Coast stays way warmer than the Gorge especially January / February and a lot less crowded than meadows on a weekend. I've windsurfed Nehalem bay, it seems to be the favourite winter south westerly storm destination for windsurfers. Launch from boat ramp in Nehalem bay state park. Can get pretty good, i think it needs a SSW or SW wind. Watch out for stuff in the water, one of the windsurfers had to sail round a dead cow floating by............. Very Happy

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 05, 05 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

My buddy Mike saw kites up at South Beach so that must have been you guys. Wind was about straight west as far as I could tell. That must've been a little wierd. Gotta tip my hat to you for preservering and getting out there!

Siletz Bay is about the only good south wind bay kiting, although on just the right days Alsea Bay or Yaquina Bay under the bridge could be epic. Just much more tricky launching and landing. Of course with rainstorms and super high tides, logs and junk in the water can really be a problem. I've seen Siletz Bay where it was completely out of the question because of all the "alligators" in the water.

Right now its blowing about 40 with rain hitting the window like a fire hose.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Nov 05, 05 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

thats crazy
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Nov 05, 05 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Yea it was pretty much straight onshore, but with a little north in it too (probably WNW) so we could at least play on the waves when riding out! Definately is kinda weird riding parallel to the beach though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: