Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot Turbo Diesel Rules!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostSun Oct 16, 05 8:48 pm    Slingshot Turbo Diesel Rules! Reply with quote

I got to try the 10m Turbo Diesel today at the spit. I should start by saying that I'm not a normal kiter by any means. I've been kiting since the days of the 2-line Wipika Classic, and used to kite almost every day and was way into powered kite loops two summers ago, but now I spend more time chasing my kids around at soccer, and don't kite so often. I also ride nothing but a skimboard from 10 knots up to 40 knots. I think that some expert level kiters will still prefer a "high performance" kite like the Octane, but for me, the Turbo was the most amazing kite I've ever ridden. I couldn't believe how much fun it was! For sure the Turbo is the ultimate kite for beginner and intermediates, and will also rule the surf for more advanced kiters. The 10m has AT LEAST as much range as the 9m, 11m & 13m Fuels. My friend was on a 15m 2006 Fuel with a twin tip, and when the wind was light I was planing much earlier and going way higher upwind on the 10m and skim. When the wind picked up and my friend rigged down to the 11m Fuel, I was still no where close to being overpowered on the 10m Turbo. Others were rigging down to 9m. It's hard to imagine what the upper limit will be for this kite. It was one of those cloudy gusty days, and definitely not a problem with the Turbo. I didn't pump it up too hard, and it was fully stable. In big gusts, I tried sheeting in and out violently while sending the kite through the power zone, and there was no indication of folding or distorting as has been reported with some other bow style kites. I also had a blast attempting some crazy off the wind speed runs. Obviously a strapless finless skim isn't the ideal speed machine, but it was amazingly controlable at super high speed since the kite has so much depower. Well, I don't know what else to write that won't sound like total hype, but I'm now a full convert to Turbo Diesels. My only complaint is that I was riding the Tubo at the spit today instead of riding it at Pistol! Can't wait to take this thing out at the coast!

Spencer

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Oct 16, 05 10:20 pm     Reply with quote

I saw you with your purple/black batman kite all over the river today...looked like a lot of fun on that skim board! The spit was AMAZING!! Easily the most consistant and steady wind I ever remember....my legs are killing me! It was good to see everyone enjoying it...just a bit sad that Phil wasn't with us. Sad

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Oct 16, 05 11:01 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff! Just out of curiousity how would you compare it to the Crossbows (assuming you've played with them too)? I'm still not a huge fan of these bow kites, at least from a looks standpoint (and I still haven't got to ride with one), but I'm all for Slingshot and their range sounds awesome. Definately can't afford one for now, so my Fuels will have to do, but possibly a little farther down the road. Thanks!

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostMon Oct 17, 05 8:51 am     Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Crossbows, so I don't have anything to compare to except my 05 Fuels. Kataku2k3, if you see me at the spit, you're welcome to take a few runs on the Turbo to see what you think.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 17, 05 9:20 am    Re: Slingshot Turbo Diesel Rules! Reply with quote

Quote:
I got to try the 10m Turbo Diesel today at the spit. I should start by saying that I'm not a normal kiter by any means.

Spencer

Very Happy

yeah, the setupe you rode during the last 2 blowout were anything but "normal"!

Very Happy

jp

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostMon Oct 17, 05 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

Spencer

How does the sheeting system work. Also do you need to unhook to completely in order to depower the kite, or does letting go of the bar kill the power?

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: