Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Naish Sigma series....CULT
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Sep 14, 07 12:48 am     Reply with quote

saw it now Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
There's a lot of sizes for sure.... Smile

a.

thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostFri Sep 14, 07 5:15 am     Reply with quote

looks more like molokai

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 15, 07 9:06 am     Reply with quote

I just wanted to share my experiences and provide the forum with my perspective on this new kite.
I rode both the 9m and 12m during a recent trip to Maui. Prior to test riding the 12m CULT, I was riding a 07 REBEL 12M. The biggest difference once switching kites was the bar pressure. I'll have to admit that the CULT has significantly less pressure, but I also feel the REBEL is above average.
I have also flown the 14m HELIX in light wind in Seattle. At the time of flying the 14m it was extremely light so the kite flew extremely smooth. I contributed this experience due to the very light winds at the time. At that time, this was the smoothest kite I had ever flown.
When I rode the 12m CULT (which is very similiar to the HELIX) the conditions were more appropriate for testing the kite. This kite was still ultra smooth. It is a very nice turning kite as well as my REBEL. When I flew the 9m CULT, it was Maui gusty so I figured this would be good test to how the kite performs in the unstable winds of Kanaha. I will say that I was very impressed with how this kite eats gusts. My REBEL eats them too but it is a more noticable but still comfortable experience. Jumping was not efficient for me on this kite compared to mine, but I figured if I spent more time flying it I may become accustomed to how it jumps. Water relaunch is incredibly efficient as well. I recommend test riding the CULT to experience it. I enjoy riding the 07 REBEL, but it may be time to upgrade my high wind small kite to something such as this.

Not much to say in regards to disadvantages of a kite like this, except, maybe the fact that is has a substantial bridle. Bridles can be confusing to rig and also when rolling up your kite, pulleys can bind, etc. I probably feel that way on most bridled kites though. A small price to pay for the type of product you get in return. I'll admit I am not a bridle fan so I ride a REBEL. I do use a WAROO for my small kite though.

Naish does a good job integrating the cleat system into the chickenloop below the bar. The very effective pull-away chicken loop safety release system remains, however the look of the loop system and materials used is significantly different than last years' bar. The bar is very comfortable with the additional foam padding on the innerside of the finger area. The stopper system is a nice experience as this stopper can be pushed away by the rider at a moment's notice if you need to. Just push the bar away. Not sure where Naish recommends hooking up the leash to, but I used the end of the sheeter.

Thanks again Bam Bam for the demos and look forward to kiting with you again. Also tell your boss that that was mighty nice of him to donate kites to the KB4C!

I haven't flown many 08 kites, but if the rest of the industry is on par with Naish, it will indeed be an exciting year for us all.

stringy

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Sep 17, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Any plans to swap Felix in for a Cult? Hopefully the Cults will be hitting the retail shelves in the next few weeks.

Bam

Damien spearheading the new sport of Kitebody Dragging on the new 08 Cult.
 Damien spearheading the new sport of Kitebody Dragging on the new 08 Cult.  damien_cult_bodysurfing.jpg 

Last edited by bambam on Mon Sep 17, 07 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Sep 17, 07 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah thats the plan. The crew is at surf expo in Florida. Sounds like they have been working their A$$'s off. Once they get back I plan on trading to the cult.

Let the new round of Demo's Begin!

Ps Dont't tell Felix as he has become very happy!

www.naishkites.com

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Sep 18, 07 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Out riding yesterday in super wind conditions that looked more like a NW storm... Couple images fer ya all to check out.

Red 6m on 12m lines, Blue 7.5m on 20m lines.

Bam

Damien is the RIDER ON THE STORM...
 Damien is the RIDER ON THE STORM...  post1.jpg 
Dark nasty clouds rolling in.
 Dark nasty clouds rolling in.  post2.jpg 

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 18, 07 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

what are 12m lines like?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2576 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Sep 18, 07 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
what are 12m lines like?

And why test kites on super short lines?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Sep 18, 07 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Photoshoot specific... Allows the perspective and kite placement to be a lot easier to get rider and kite in the shot! Plus Damien is just nuts and loves the short lines for jumping and kitelooping. Think there is a Helix video out there on U-Tube with him going vertically nuts on 12m lines with the kite whipping all over the place.

I have a set of 15m lines, but personally tend to like the Cult on the standard 20m set.

Bams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: