Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

light wind kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 05, 05 7:44 am    light wind kite Reply with quote

i have been an avid reader of all the talk re: the bow kite phenom, and i think i will wait for the second or third generation of these things until i bite. i would like to get better at flying conventional lei's before making such a dramatic change. so, my question is this:

what do you guys recommend, short of a bow, for a solid light-wind kite. this time of year there are a plethora of kites for sale, and my biggest kite now is a 15m ss. i am 75 kg, sort of solid beginner, staying uwind but no tricks yet Crying or Very sad
heading for spi the end of october, would lke to cover all the bases down there.
thanks
jimbo

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 05, 05 7:52 am     Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to stick with your 15m SS and get a good lightwind board. The performance of a 15m + a good lightwind board like a Glide will absolutely destroy the performance any large kite with a smaller board in light conditions.

Keep both boards on the beach and when the wind comes up switch back to your small board without ever putting down your kite, it works great!

For SPI I am taking my skimboard and my 13m as my biggest kite. 13m is pretty damn small, but its worked for me all summer in Oregon (especially once I got the skim) so I figure if there is any rideable wind in SPI I should be able to tackle it.

The only person who I know will likely have me beat for lightwind in SPI is this old guy who's always down there with a 26m Flysurfer foil and some big boards, that guy is on the water in 7-8mph wind all the time. It drives the kiters left on the beach crazy!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 05, 05 9:07 am    Re: light wind kite Reply with quote

My r5 18m is for sale and listed in classified.
Having been an owner of 03 & 04 slingshots, I can tell you first hand that the r518m beats 05, 04, 03 etc. slingers hands down in ALL categories.

cheers
John

johnpenxa@hotmail.com

shastadogs2 wrote:
i have been an avid reader of all the talk re: the bow kite phenom, and i think i will wait for the second or third generation of these things until i bite. i would like to get better at flying conventional lei's before making such a dramatic change. so, my question is this:

what do you guys recommend, short of a bow, for a solid light-wind kite. this time of year there are a plethora of kites for sale, and my biggest kite now is a 15m ss. i am 75 kg, sort of solid beginner, staying uwind but no tricks yet Crying or Very sad
heading for spi the end of october, would lke to cover all the bases down there.
thanks
jimbo

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Oct 05, 05 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

And my Nemesis 21M is listed in the classified section for $400 with bar/lines/bag/electric pump. Good condition.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 06, 05 8:58 am    light wind board Reply with quote

thanks for the input, i may test the waters with my wife, re:"What in world do you need ANOTHER kiteboard for?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: