Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

shark encounter maui

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marybear

Since 06 Aug 2007
75 Posts
thehood

PostMon Sep 03, 07 10:53 am    shark encounter maui Reply with quote

hi its marybeth from the gorge kiting in maui
downwinder from paia beach, shark came up to my board like a submarine
just before it surfaced it submerged. the water was so clear i could see how massive it was,im thinking 12foot tiger 5feet away
i called off the downwinder for myself, but a crew from hood river continued
at the airport you have to go a mile out there was no way after seeing that i was going to venture a mile out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostMon Sep 03, 07 11:41 am    sharks Reply with quote

They are always there. It is not uncommon to see sharks while kiting in maui. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we see them everyday. But don't
think because you didn't see it rise up next to you that it's not there. Rocks and coral should be feared over those big pearly white teeth.

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 03, 07 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Grease down the base of your board with a banana, it works to keep fish away, maybe it would work for sharks too?

Snowy

Since 30 Jun 2007
93 Posts
Ocean

PostMon Sep 03, 07 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

Whoooaaaaah!

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Sep 03, 07 4:38 pm    Holy Cow!! Reply with quote

I would have cancelled too! I lived in Maui for a year and sailed at Hookipa. There was a guy there who spearfished and had a really long line to put his catch on. I asked him why so long and he told me about the 15 foot tiger shark that would from time to time take his string.

Crazy to think that sharks could just munch you no problem.

Scary stuff! Very Happy

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Sep 03, 07 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

No big kids... I would say I see one about every month... In June I kited right over a 13 footer in about six feet of water about a 1/4 mile off Kite Beach. Went back over him again to just make sure.

So yup, there are here... and even bigger ones on the Oregon Coast. Just don't think about it and enjoy the good kiting is how I deal.

Bam

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 04, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

pretty crazy if it was a tiger... i'd say good move getting out... they'll come and taste for the heck of it....good thing you didn't need to body drag back to your board!

Shocked

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 04, 07 8:21 am     Reply with quote

After lots of dives with sharks around. I'm not very afraid. In fact, I am usually swimming after them trying to get a good photo. They seem much more afraid of me than I am of them.
I would think the risk of being drug accross coral heads would be the big worry.

www.naishkites.com

marybear

Since 06 Aug 2007
75 Posts
thehood

PostTue Sep 04, 07 10:38 am     Reply with quote

apparently there was a man down on the shark down winder,
Jim S something swam for about 30 minutes on a scale of 1 to 10
his threshhold for freakout was a 12! he claimed his kite pretzeled while battling through the washer machine spot! standby mb

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 04, 07 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

Vending Machines kill more people than Sharks

Watch out Homer!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/005445.htm

Unless you kite in Maui, where Sharks kill more people than vending machines (your experience may vary)
Windsurfers taste better than Kiters:

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2000/shark_attacks_man_off_maui.html

More scary shit:

http://www.moolelo.com/shark-attack.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 05, 07 3:18 am     Reply with quote

You are far more likely to die on the way to the beach than get hit by a shark. I swam in from the break at kite beach in Maui a few years ago. I lost the kite (leash broke) and my board. Took over an hour but at least it was warm Smile There was a young surfer girl who lost her arm to a tiger a few days before I made that swim. If you take it easy and don't panic (thrash around) they'll usually leave you alone. It's still scary as hell though when you see one. Still haven't spotted whitey on our coast for five years of 100+ day riding. Razz I do hear that you probably won't see a g. white because they come straight up at you. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Sep 05, 07 3:57 am    Sendability Reply with quote

Way to dominate and liven up this lackluster, noncontroversial, sensitively edited forum MB. I had a scary encounter with a Tiger myself in '97. I was surfing 3-4 foot Turtlebay(next bay east of Ho'okipa) and saw a sizable tiger(6-8'). He or she circled me 2 or 3 times in about 30 seconds. I ended up paddling into shore over dry reef. My heart nearly constricted my 16 year old throat. The scrapes and cuts were minor compared to the bullshit called by the 4 other surfers who didn't see the striped resident:) Maui is a paradoxical paradise, all the goods are equal to the evils(or equalizers) lurking below. I hope the rock at Lobos is equally formidable. According to my best source it is. Smack a lip for me MB Irie Rustigness Wink.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 06, 07 11:55 am     Reply with quote

marybear wrote:
apparently there was a man down on the shark down winder,
Jim S something swam for about 30 minutes on a scale of 1 to 10
his threshhold for freakout was a 12! he claimed his kite pretzeled while battling through the washer machine spot! standby mb

yes I was practicing my self rescue skills out in the deep blue. Not to worry, no sharks witnessed and was able to self rescue to a private beach, re-rig and join the downwinder again.

maui has been fun all week. Sad to leave tomorrow...fun to meet new people, run into old friends, and kite with everyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: