Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Couer d Alene Kitboarding Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostMon Aug 13, 07 12:19 pm    Couer d Alene Kitboarding Info Reply with quote

I will be in Couer d Alene this weekend and need to get the 411 on the sits there. I will be at arrow point. Where are the launches. Where is the windy part of the lake? What do you use for forecasting the wind?

climberusa

Since 14 May 2007
47 Posts
Spokane, WA

PostMon Aug 13, 07 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

cdakiter lives in Couer d Alene and kites the lake often from what I've heard. I'm in Spokane and have been trying all summer to coordinate something with him but it's never worked out. I'm hoping to get out of town this weekend but if it doesn't happen I'd be happy to meet you over there and give it a shot. I've only heard of him launching from tubs hill but I bet there's more places that would work.

Jeff

bjnacc

Since 28 Feb 2007
16 Posts

PostMon Aug 13, 07 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

the only feasable launch on the lake is at tubbs hill located next to the main resort....everything else is private or loaded with people and boats....check the forecast at wunderground...CDA does not blow above ten knots that often....I think your time would be better spent at bayview on lake Pend Orielle about a half hour to the north....much stronger winds and fewer people

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 13, 07 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

what about hope?

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostMon Aug 13, 07 9:23 pm    cda Reply with quote

So my plan is to launch off a private doc just south of arrow point if the wind blows. The forecast shows wind in the 6mph zone. May have to go for a beer swilling sesh at the beach instead. I thinking about bringing my jetski and patrol the southern zone in search of wind. But given the poor forecast and the pain in the ass of hauling a jetski hundreds of miles I'm reluctant.

I was in CDA last year and I thought I saw two kiteboarders at Wolf Lodge bay??

bjnacc

Since 28 Feb 2007
16 Posts

PostMon Aug 13, 07 10:26 pm     Reply with quote

wolf lodge bay is a realy protected area with little or no wind....You probably saw Scott (Cdakiter) just messing around in the water...he is about the only person I know who kites that lake consistantly...do a search on the forum under spokane kiters and you will find some threads where he explains his routine from tubbs hill...

I have heard that Hope (north end of Pend Orielle) has as much wind as bayview...never have been there though....bayview has a nice sandy point for laying out lines etc...that may be tough to find in Hope

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Aug 13, 07 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

I'm from Spokane/CDA so glad to see there is a growing crew there but I had more sucess on snow than aqua. The long bridge by Pend Orielle is steady. You can launch on the north end towards Sandpoint on either side. A few years back there was actually a kiteboard shop there for awhile. Long story short I bought a rental in the Gorge to get in the game. PM me and you guys can crash anytime. Bring beer. Smile

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 07 6:28 am     Reply with quote

Arrow point has a launchable area. More of a bluff launch, but not bad.
Rarely over 10k? Not quite, you need to come over more! I was well to overpowered the other morning on my 16m caution answer, and wunderground was reading 6-8 mph at the airport!
I take off from either Tubbs or Sanders beach. When I'm kiting off these launches, arrow is a dark blue and frothing. You should have fun there.
Wolf lodge is hit and miss, but can take west winds sometimes. Don't try launching from the resort area. The winds in the summer just don't get in there like you think and you'll most likely just get frustrated and blown back to shore.
If you're staying at Arrow, it's the best wind on the lake, so the only chasing you should have to do is heading north for east winds. Sometimes you can have wind south of arrow while arrow doesen't blow, but it's rare.

Morning thermals are the best, so be willing to wake up and kite. Wunderground or noaa are the forcast sites, and if you come and the winds are e-ne, hit farragut. Not on southern winds though, as the gusts and lulls are miserable.
Give a shout if you want company.
Scott

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostTue Aug 14, 07 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Yup as a few have stated here, cda kiter is the pioneer of the cda lake. He defenitly knows his stuff, but its not real ideal anywhere. Way overun with too much money to buy up beaches and homesites. Also Pend'oreille would be better, down by hope and clark fork there is a nice sandbar accesed by jet ski from the Johnson Creek area. Usually this time of year, a steady wind picks up in the afternoon daily. However, both Bayview and Sandpoint beaches are on the way and a much shorter drive. Either way, this is sweet, another thread dedicated to us inlanders, I just want it to snow.

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 07 12:25 pm    frontal systems Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Do you guys try to ride any of the frontal systems passing through? I imagine that could get a bit sketch if the only high wind is generated by convective weather (gusty) and you have the possibility of lightning.

Sounds like I'll be lucky to get my 12m and 151cm board going. I'll need at least 10mph preferably 12mph.

Last time I was at arrow point I saw the wind line begin about a mile south. Must have been one of those rare days to taunt me. I'm pretty close to the point.

Per standard operating proceedure I'm bringing all my shit. Never know when you need it. I ended up riding my 7m at Sauvies a few weeks ago.

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostTue Aug 14, 07 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, Ive got a free weekend and am thinking of hitting it somewhere, whatever looks best. If you wanna try and hook up I could drive since I know where Im going, somewhat, if nothing else, a beer swilling partner. Pm me if interested. Also the other option talked about is Sprague lake out on the other side of Spokane, if your driving, you'll see it on the south side of I-90 bout half hr short of Spokane. (Jeff, Scott?) You too maybe? wait to go south till the 25th!! If you can

climberusa

Since 14 May 2007
47 Posts
Spokane, WA

PostTue Aug 14, 07 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

I may be up for some riding on saturday. pm me if you are going and let me know for sure. On the 25th I'll be in the great AK for some frigid water riding!

Donny Baker

Since 13 Jul 2006
80 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

How bout windy bay on the south end of the lake? (Couer d Alene) I went there and it was windy. Just didn't find a launch. Wind comes off the Palouse wheat fields and through this bay. I'll further investigate when I get time.

LOOP

Since 08 Feb 2007
107 Posts

Ore-Ida

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, windy bay, Scott and I were down there a few weeks ago, I was still in body drag mode but Scott got some good turns in.......barely, low wind, but it was windier than most of the other spots down there for sure. Like you said tho, no launch really unless your lucky enough to be launching off a boat. On a side note, on the way home, heading east out of Harrison I pass thru some seemingly high farming fields just before connecting with Hiway 3, might be good for winter too. Defenitly has the space Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: