Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite and board lost at Jones beach 8/11 - FOUND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Aug 11, 07 10:28 pm    kite and board lost at Jones beach 8/11 - FOUND Reply with quote

lost this evening in the river at Jones - liquid force drop ltd 138 with green and black Go Joe so board will sail around 'til it reaches shore or is picked up. Partly rolled up Waroo 14 yellow and green/blue with bar and rolled up lines attached, inflated struts, blown leading. Floating in the channel between Jones and the island when a very large freighter caused the decision to abandon the gear and swim for it. Board and kite have my name and number on them but if you hear anything about them please pm or call me 360 903 8204

Thanks - Paul

ps would someone do me a favor and post this message on the Seattle forum? thanks

Last edited by pauls on Sun Aug 12, 07 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostSun Aug 12, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote posted it on the seattle forum.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSun Aug 12, 07 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

Got my kite back from a Jones local who saw it hung up on a wing dam down river from Jones, he had a boat moored on the slough and went and got it, found my number on the kite and called me. looks like the only damage is the blown out leading edge. Have a couple of messages that a kiter has my board so will hook up and get it back, he said they saw it because of the Go Joe which took it downwind to the kiters instead of down river with the current. Blown leading edge really screws up any chance of kite assisted self rescue and approaching freighter the size of an office block going with the tide and current motivated really fast swimming. I was too tired and worried about shipping to try swimming the island to Jones channel so i hiked over the island and swam across nuke alley to the WA shore found a windsurfer packing up who let me call the police to tell them not to search for me and gave me a ride into Longview. Phone numbers on board and kite really paid off, also glad i was wearing a full short sleeve wetsuit and not just board shorts. The river seems about a hundred times wider when you have to swim it pulling your gear rather than up and riding!!!

Paul

Bill D

Since 14 Jul 2007
11 Posts

PostSun Aug 12, 07 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, impressive story.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 12, 07 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Glad you got it back, very cool. Seems like everyone I know who puts their name on their board get them back at some point.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 12, 07 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Rather than swimming Nuke Alley, I've often wondered if I could walk west through the woods and onto Puget Island, and then over the bridge into Cathlamet. Anyone know that country?

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 13, 07 7:28 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Rather than swimming Nuke Alley, I've often wondered if I could walk west through the woods and onto Puget Island, and then over the bridge into Cathlamet. Anyone know that country?

Kip, i looked at that option but it is a really long walk - several miles. Best option would have been riding with a buddy, then i could have had him take kite ashore then come back and tow me and board at Jones it would be easy to walk your kite along the beach to get upwind of a kiter needing help and plenty of room to go downwind carrying a board or towing someone. At the end of the day though i think you have to be prepared to fend for yourself - wind might drop, other person has breakdown of their own or lacks the skill to safely do a rescue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: