Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wise Words from the Blowout Godfather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Aug 08, 07 10:15 am    Wise Words from the Blowout Godfather Reply with quote

Cory’s Blowout Guide 2007 rev 2.0
By Cory Roeseler

This year’s Blowout Organizer, Shay Ohrel, asked me to write a bit about what first timer’s can expect and how best to survive the challenges of the Blowout race. Here goes…

What is the Blowout?
The Blowout is an annual downwind sailing race through the windiest part of the Columbia River Gorge.

How did it begin?
The legendary tale of the Blowout’s origin begins with a small fleet of brave catamaran sailors, who decided to launch at Cascade Locks, and see who or what came out at the Hood River Marina. Windsurfers popularized the Blowout in the 1980s with Budweiser and other national brands sponsoring the race as a professional media event.

How did it evolve?
Kiters began entering the Blowout in the late ‘80s, and it quickly became evident that kites have a technical advantage through the wide range of conditions in that section of the Gorge. By 2000, the Gorge Games had attracted dozens of kiters to run with the windsurfers, and competition was fierce. The City of Stevenson embraced the competition, so the staging area was moved there. The Hood River Sandbar closed off easy access to the Marina, so the finish was moved to the Event Site. These changes effectively shortened the race from 20 miles to about 17.

How does it work?
Now don’t take this as a NOTICE of RACE, or any official instruction, but here’s how it’s typically run. On the day of the event, a skippers meeting is held in Stevenson, near where the starting line will go. A course description is laid out, and a start time is announced. People rig early and try to get launched (20-30 minutes before the start is good) without getting tangled in the crowd. After a rabbit start (a motorboat crosses the river, and the fleet races across its wake, which forms the starting line), it’s simply a drag race to the finish. Typically, there’s one safety checkpoint with an observer checking that you pass between the Oregon shoreline and a mark set just off the beach at Viento, approximately the halfway point.

If you’re exhausted or otherwise debilitated upon arrival at Viento, that’s a good place to pack it in, but watch out for sharp rocks and wind gusts. There’s a relatively calm cove just east of the Viento launch where you can dump your kite and swim in.

Part of the fun, challenge and mystery of the event (for me, at least) is the ever changing description of the finish line. PAY ATTENTION at the pre-race skippers meeting to see exactly how the organizers expect you to finish the race. Typically, it’s one or two buoys set off the Event Site, and you pass between them. Again, don’t take this as an official instruction.

The rest is simple. The first person in each category to successfully pass through the course wins.

What are the conditions like?
In a word: varied. Since the Blowout section of the river snakes through the meat of the Cascade Mountain Range, a wide range of wave and wind conditions exist. It typically starts off smooth and steady near the start, just to boost your confidence. The wind typically picks up around Home Valley, but just for a few miles. Then there’s what I call the “Death Zone”, in the wake of Wind Mountain. Pro windsurfers have described everything from “A million baby whitecaps” to “blasts of wind, scorching down from the heavens”. If you survive the next few miles, prepare for full power as you pass Viento. The 3rd quarter is definitely the windiest, and the swell can be over a meter in height. The home stretch to Hood River is a crap shoot in August. Sometimes it’s filled in completely, and sometimes people are swimming across the finish line, surrounded by a placid ripple of near glass.

What to bring:
Bring your favorite rig (kite, windsurfer or other), board(s) you are comfortable riding for hours, and most importantly a good attitude.

How big to rig:
This is always the most-asked question. Generally, I rig the largest kite I KNOW I can handle through the windiest sections (Before the race, you can scope it out at Swell City and along the HWY 14 tunnels). If you’re not sure, rig the size you’re most comfortable riding. Somewhere along the course, it’s bound to be PERFECT!

Do’s and Don’ts

Don’ts:
• Don’t change your equipment at the last minute and expect to be suddenly more competitive.
• Don’t get too worried about the start. If you’re on the water, somewhere in the pack when the start gun is fired, you’ve got as good a chance as anyone to finish at the front.
• Don’t seize up when the waves are steep and the gusts hit. Stalling out only makes it worse.
• Don’t bitch at the race committee for any reason whatsoever.
• Don’t assume recreational sailors, barges or other watercraft know, or even care, that there’s a race on. They have equal rights to the river, and a sailor racing downwind must yield.

Do’s:
• Do thank the event organizers and sponsors for putting on the event. They are not well paid (if at all) for doing this, and they are working hard to see that you have a good time.
• Do prepare yourself, physically and mentally, as an athlete for a competition. The Blowout is a fun race, but it is not to be taken lightly. For example: hydrate well, and wear a good wetsuit and a helmet.
• Do practice with the gear you’ll be riding in the race.
• Do check that all your gear is in good condition. Replace worn lines, tighten bindings, etc, BEFORE you are forced to self-rescue from the barge lane and walk miles barefoot on the hot railroad tracks (Yes, I’ve had to do this. It’s not much fun.)
• Do watch for trains if you break down and end up walking along a track for any distance. They can’t stop.
• Do try to keep your speed up through the tricky parts of the course. Rest, if you need to, when conditions allow smooth sailing.
• Do smile and be courteous to other competitors, who are mostly out to have a good time.
• Do help out another sailor in distress, either by towing them into shore or letting a member of the race committee know where they were spotted.
• Do arrive early and PAY ATTENTION at the pre-race Skippers Meeting.
• Do follow US Coast Guard navigational rules for safe operation of a water vessel.
• Do check in with the race committee at the finish, especially if you do not finish. Attempts will be made to locate all lost sailors.
• Do be a good sport, stay for the awards ceremony, BBQ, or whatever is planned.
• Do keep returning each year to improve your own performance and to keep the spirit of the Blowout alive.

Cory Roeseler is the Blowout course record holder (47 minutes). He has competed in the Blowout each year it has run since 1988.

Last edited by pacifichigh on Wed Aug 08, 07 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Aug 08, 07 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the great advice Cory Thumb's Up

Let me be the first to thank Shay for organizing the event, it should be a blast.

Also, I have a couple things to add for folks who haven't done downwinders. Some folks like to carry a pair of sandals or flip flops attached to the harness, just in case you ahve to do some walking. I ussually put a climbing carabiner on my harness and attach my flip flops with that.

Also, Cory makes a good point about the helmet and wetsuit. You don't know how long you may be floating out there if something happens and you are in a spot with no wind. I also recommend a floatation device if you can wear one that works with your harness, just in case.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 09, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

good luck Shay
I'm sure it will be fun
love the no bitching at the committee line
Shay is your man for PEACEFUL
solutions
how's the foot?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Aug 09, 07 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Cory Roeseler is the Blowout course record holder (47 minutes).

Okay, by no means am I trying to question the legend...but this is correct right???? That is crazy...If I remember correctly, last time we did Viento>HR I think it took us 2.5 hours ish...

Wow!!

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Aug 09, 07 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Of course ussually when folks to downwinders, they take there time, play in the swell, etc. This is just hang on for your life and blast downwind Shocked

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 09, 07 11:34 am     Reply with quote

Just for reference, the fastest time for a windsurfer has been about 1hr, give or take a couple of minutes.
BUT, this is from guys who have been doing this for years, probably running the complete Blowout at least 10-20 times.

Corey has been running this course since the beginning of time, so experience, ability level, and knowledge of the course count for a lot.

If you finish in under 2 hrs on your first run, you are totally kicking ass. Even if you finish, you are kicking ass.
At this year's windsurf blowout, I think that about a 20% of the fleet did not finish, with another 20% limping in their gear over an hour later than the middle of the pack.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 09, 07 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

for the ones that have done it before... can you share a little info so us virgins don't get stranded? Are there wind shadows/tunnels to look out for? I would guess you would want to stay out of the channel where the current was the strongest... but anything else?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 09, 07 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
Are there wind shadows/tunnels to look out for? I would guess you would want to stay out of the channel where the current was the strongest... but anything else?

Yes, and yes.

Stick with Corey's guidelines and you'll do fine.
Every word he wrote is spot on target and is the best advice possible. Anything more would make a rookie think too much or overevaluate their situation. KISS - Keep It Safe&Simple.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: