Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Exercise for kiters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 03, 07 3:12 pm    Exercise for kiters Reply with quote

I know we're still in the heart of summer and wind but I was wondering what, if anything, people do to prepare for kiting (outside of kiting). Is there weight or endurance training? and or flexibility, like yoga?

i remember Forrest had a training bar at home setup to practice unhooked tricks. How's that going anyway?

anyone who has expertise (or experience for that matter) please feel free to PM me if you don't want to make a public post.

thanks,
ken

FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostSat Aug 04, 07 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

General strength and conditioning exercise will prevent many injuries and improve performance. I think that it also depends on one's age, general physical condition, and level of ability. Riding unhooked requires much greater upper body strength and flexibilty. The older or more unfit you are, the slower you should go.

Basic Program for Beginners

1) Squats without weights. Insure that your knees when in the fully flexed position are behind the tips of your big toes. Work up to 25-50 for basic strength. When this becomes too easy add dumbells with 5-25 lbs, starting with 8-12 reps, more weight if you are a monster.

2) Pulley rows. This is best accomplished with a weight machine. If you don't have one use dumbells, choosing the weight so you can do at least one set of 8-12 reps without failure. Upright rows, bent over rows, vertical rows.

3) Lat pull downs. This simulates pulling on the bar. Ensure that you have a slight backward tilt when you do this so you don't injure your rotator cuff by impingeing it. 1-2 sets of 8-12 reps.

4) Dumbell presses. Do this at multiple angles recognizing that the closer you are to military press , the greater the likelihood of shoulder impingement. I like doing them flat, then ~30-70 degrees (incline) with 1-2 sets with 8-12 reps/set. Can add decline as strength and conditioning improve.

5) Push ups. A mainstay for general strengthening. Do to tolerance 1-2 sets to failure. Doing them on the ball is a good intro.

6) Abdominal strengthening. There are many great methods. I like ball crunches, cherry picking (flat on the floor, feet at 90 degrees, reaching for the toes until abdominal muscle failure), Olympic sit-ups. Great to simulate jumping and leads to less soreness with a big jumping session. Inverted crunches are awesome but need an inversion device. Don't forget the obliques with the ball.

This is a really minimal strength program. For endurance and little impact, it is hard to beat biking (stationary or otherwise), elliptical machines, or treadmill running.

Maybe others with experience can chime in and improve these basic recommendations.

Rick

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSat Aug 04, 07 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

I think program over look pretty decent but lifting weights I am a big fan of free weights, however having the right lifting technique is alpha omega...if you don;t know how, don;t even try with out instruction...

I do karate, and try a little yoga / pilates...and some weights...but I am not consistent enough..though sparring is a lot of fun.

I think it is really important to think flexibility and a strong core...swimming is good too.

Though now it might sound like I am some sports freak, but I am really just another fat slob.

A.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 05, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

rock climbing, push-ups, dips, and crunches will keep you well rounded. I was petty pear shaped before all of this.

The bar I hung up with the bungies was pretty cool, but I was to inconsistent to make it work.

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 05, 07 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Snowboarding!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: