Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NEW SPOTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSun Sep 18, 05 6:23 pm    NEW SPOTS Reply with quote

All summer I have wanted to explore some area's closer to P-Land for riding, but I didn't want to give up a day on the water to do it. So, It didn't happen like I wanted it to. Two areas have intrigued me.

One is near the west end of the airport. There is a long stretch of Columbia that seems to get fairly consitant west winds and has a sandy beach. This area seems popular with sail boats, but I have not seen anyone with a kite in this area. It sure looks rideable, but the wind is lighter. Plenty of parking. Maybe some issues with the airport. This is only 15min. from town.

Second area is that nice stretch of riverfrontage from Multnomah falls area to the dam. There is potentially multiple spots here. Talking west windz. I checked the wind out at one spot on the OR side. It was a private riverside campground just west of Multnomah falls. I never knew it was there until I started exploring. I found a decent sand/cobblestone beach with consistant wind. Wind @Event reading 17 - this spot felt like a consistant 10-12. Sailboats seemed well powered. Many times this stretch of the river looks rideable when the main gorge is blown hard. 40min from NW PDX.

Anyone ride these areas? - or is it just not worth the effort.

Last edited by BrDRdR on Sun Sep 18, 05 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 18, 05 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

Be careful when riding near the airport. There is a phenomenon called a "Wake Vortex" that aircraft produce. Especially large aircraft. A wake vortex could pick you up and throw you into the dike, ruining your whole day... WV tend to move away from the AC's flightpath at 5 to 7 mph. A northerly wind component of more than 10 knots SHOULD keep WV clear of the river...

Nak

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 18, 05 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

Be careful when riding near the airport. There is a phenomenon called a "Wake Vortex" that aircraft produce. Especially large aircraft. A wake vortex could pick you up and throw you into the dike, ruining your whole day... WV tend to move away from the AC's flightpath at 5 to 7 mph. A northerly wind component of more than 10 knots SHOULD keep WV clear of the river...

Nak

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Sep 18, 05 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

riden the airport in east winds. Don't leave ANY extra gear in your car , or it most likely get stolen.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSun Sep 18, 05 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, and I've personally witnessed the effect of wake vortex on a kite out there on an E wind day. One minute the kite was above the guy's head, the next it was like someone took a sledge hammer to the top it....kite reverse taco'ed and fell to the beach. Damaged some bladders too. The thing that was really odd was the delay...the wake didn't hit until almost a full minute after the plane flew over

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostMon Sep 19, 05 6:53 am     Reply with quote

The second area is easily accessed from the Washington side at a park nameed Saint Cloud. We have had some great sessions there and the water is nice and smooth in the shallows.
Bandito

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 19, 05 7:08 am     Reply with quote

He was really lucky that his kite got hit by the back side of the vortex as it descended. Think of a wake vortex as a VERY strong dust devil laying on it's side. The wind will always rotate towards the aircraft on top. what probably happened is that the WV passed over the kite as it descended, hitting it with the downward component of wind. If it had descended a little faster, or if the kiter had been a bit further out, the kite would have been hit by the upward rotating wind...

Nak

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 19, 05 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Bandito,
How do you get to St. Cloud? Is there a sign off 14? Thanks!

Nak

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Sep 19, 05 7:36 am     Reply with quote

Bandito - how do you forecast st cloud? Stevenson at least ???? knots. It looks like a nice spot but is a bit of trek to check out. I don't feel like i have the skill for the launch and exit at Stevenson yet and St Cloud looks a lot more forgiving and usually no audience

A couple of parks on the WA side might get less of that wake vortex? If you decide to try please post a report. I've windsurfed from them in mid winter on strong south westerlies just for the hell of it and to get a fix.

Another spot might be on the river in front of Steigerwald wildlife refuge, park at the end of 32nd st in Washougal and walk along the dike, from 84 it often looks tempting, maybe a good easterly spot when rooster is completely nuts?

paul

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostMon Sep 19, 05 9:36 am     Reply with quote

St. Cloud works best if it's blowing around 20-25 at Stevenson and has a little SW cant to the wind. The days that are the best there seem to have a slightly hazzy look in that area. I'm not sure what that is, but those are the best days for sure. I've been out there on my 15M and 9M so it can get windy if conditions are right. We went there a couple of times in an East wind and it just doesn't fill in at all in that area of the river.
Bandito

tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostMon Sep 19, 05 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

Another spot I have seen is at the Sternwheeler Park in Cascade Locks, on the Oregon side about a 1/2 mile west of Stevenson. At the east end of the park is a mid-sized beach that seems to get wind in the morning and generally any time Stevenson is working, it also seems very flat, but I've never seen a kite launch from there - must be a reason I don't know about. On the weekends it seems to get small sailboat traffic, but the launch seems much less difficult than Stevenson.

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostMon Sep 19, 05 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all the good info. St. cloud sound like a nice spot to try. I think I'll leave the airport alone though. I don't like devil winds, and I definately don't like me gear stolen. Kite gear is so portable - and I love to explore and ride new spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: