Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Vancouver lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Apr 13, 05 3:30 pm    Vancouver lake Reply with quote

Anybody ever kite Vancouver lake? Possible spot on southerlies?

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 14, 05 9:49 am     Reply with quote

hey karl,

i have a friend who has gone out in southerlies but, i myself have not. he says that it is good. not great but, good enough for getting out and in the water.

kt

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 14, 05 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

Back in the early 90's i took some windsurf lessons there. We got out onto the lake etc . . . The launch was on the SW end and it was sand. It not very clean water with little flush and I would liken it to oaks bottom (oaks amusement park bog area, or Swam Island area, only with more water in it.) Muddy with logs and sticks.

If you want to try some south winds try Broughton Park/Airport (just east of Salty's) on Marine Dr over to Wintler park in Vacounver, directly North or downwind. There is also the shipyard to land into but many more hidden haz. and lots of current. Wintler park has current but one of the best landing spots/sandy beaches anywhere. These two areas I speak of are adjacent to each other.

Take a taxi back.

Off season is a bear on the nerves. South winds are better at the coast.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostThu Apr 14, 05 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree, the SW's at Nehalem are fun. I think we'll go there today. Had a good day at Lyle yesterday. Thought I lost my board there til it washed up on the sandbar 20 minutes later. Just the 3 of us out and tasty wind. Cool

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Apr 15, 05 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Nice grab at Lyle! We thought about going a little further East, but the SB looked like it was shaping up, and it did for about an hour and a half. What'd you rig? I was on my 20M which was a little unnerving in the Gorge with the cloudline moving around.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat Apr 16, 05 2:49 am     Reply with quote

I was on my 16 at Lyle. A bit overpowered at times cause the IW sensor for Dougs was reading gusts to 24 at times but it was fun. We're gonna have to have a stump bashing party there sometime when the water gets low and take those evil things out though. A few beers and axes, who's up fer it?

ECmike

Since 29 Mar 2005
23 Posts
Beaverton, OR

PostSat Apr 16, 05 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Count me in. Thats a great spot and to not be crowded PLUS being safer, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! Wouldn't take too much time either. You know that we all sit on the beach at some point waiting for that wind that looks like its gonna make it, ya know, right before the shunk! Or maybe thats just my luck! I'll probably be with ya anyway Karl.

PostSun Apr 17, 05 7:13 am    stump removal Reply with quote

I'm all for a safer envir. to go kiting in/around, but think about this. What makes us safer (no stumps) is less habitat for fish etc. . . They need shelter as well, espeacially where there is stream and or creek water entering the mighty Columbia. These areas are "rest stops" for their respective trips up and down the river.

That being said, if u do go out to cut up some stumps, try it when no tree huggers and enviro people are watching.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Apr 17, 05 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Good point. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: