Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bridge of the Gods Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
G.Reed

Since 30 Jul 2006
51 Posts

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:42 am    Bridge of the Gods Results Reply with quote

Here are the official results from the 2007 Bridge of the Gods Festival.

As you've probably heard, Renee has decided not to run the Festival in the future but Dave Smith, Steve Fisher and I will be taking on the project. We've already been brainstorming on new ideas. If you have any input, send me a message or post it up.

I'm looking to collect pictures and video from this years and past years events so please send me a personal message and let me know if you have anything.

Thanks for everyones help and positive vibrations. It's always fun to see all the old friends and meet new ones.

So here's the results....

Masters Division

1st Steve Sibborn
2nd Wally the Gator

Junior's Division

1st Josh Brady
2nd Sam Bolstad

Women's Division

1st Shannon Gormley
2nd Britney Todd
3rd Tonia Farman
4th Marybeth Zingarelli

Men's Open

1st Reed Brady
2nd Jon Van Malsen
3rd Tucker Sherman
4th Dillan Thompson
5th Stefano Rista
6th Paul Porter
[/b]

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jul 24, 07 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Good stuff. You can have any of my shitty pics that you want. What's the best way to get them to ya? I can load them up on my Oregon State FTP, then send you the link. Kind of sucks because you have to download them one by one.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 24, 07 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Once again congratulations to the winners of the event, even though I think everybody was a winner on Sunday. A very good event and I look forward to more good times next year. I have full confidence the three of you will put on a great event so nothing to be worried about there!

You are welcome to my images as well. I have some from this year as well as last year. I was on the water with the yellow kayak so I have some video footage as well. It may take me a while to edit it but I will post it up when it is completed.

I did put a small image slideshow together from last year. I posted it to www.youkiteboard.com, but will upload to youtube.com as well.

http://www.youkiteboard.com/view_video.php?viewkey=f202f26c1a174c735758

feel free to add me to your list of helpers for the upcoming event.

stringy

if you would like, send me an email at

jim at livewireprototyping dot com

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 24, 07 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Hi All, Smile

Congratulations to all the winners and great job to all participants. Thanks to Dave, Gary and all those that have been working behind the scenes at BOTG for years. And, a huge SHOUT OUT to Renee Hanks for stoking the event for so long.

Here is my 2 cents for a future event.

I thought that Dave’s Stapless “Collective” was phenomenal. What I saw happen was that it inspired people to come out and participate by going strapless, rather than having people sit on the sidelines and watch the good guys. Maybe calling it a Collective had something to do with it. They incorporated clinics and demos. The schedule was: hey let’s all go and ride at the bridge this evening; in the morning the hatch; later in the pond; and then a FUN race. The point is it got lots of people participating.

On this past Sunday, I heard reports that there were over 200 kites on the water between Viento and the HR Bridge. That is a huge day for kiting in The Gorge.

I think that with the transition with the BOTG there is a great opportunity to come up with a whole new type of event. Yes, there are those of us that are competitive and like to perform, be judged, win, and hang out. Yeah, I am one of them. But I see a growing lack of interest in kitesurfing competitions (how many of us can name the top American on the PKRA tour). Can you imagine 200 plus kiters coming together to ride and share the stoke.

Look at these other sports. Fishing. Millions do it. How many compete? There are all different aspects: from a boat, on-shore, surf-casting, fly-fishing, hanging out.
Motorcycle riding: Millions do it. Again different aspects. Dirt, trials, motocross, Harleys. Hey, look at the Sturgis event. They have thousands of participants coming to ride, party, hang out, and have little fun competitions.

Here is my idea: put on a similar event. Keep Renee’s grassroots feel and grow it into a gathering of hundreds of kiters from all disciplines. A collective. A fly-in. It would be an event that included clinics, demos, parties, and continuous riding. It would be a gathering of kiters that everyone will want to participate in. Here is a sample schedule: morning freeriding; followed by freestyle tricks; then the next day everybody ride some swells including a for-fun mass downwinder; then on the third day we all go strapless ending with wakestyle.

I personally want to try on some boots. Hey Dylan, what size feet do you have?

Ken

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 24, 07 11:56 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the results! and thanks so much for everyone's work in putting on this event! I'd love to help in the future, maybe by having nwkite.com play a more official role as a place for BOTG photos / announcements / etc..

One thing that I hope never changes about BOTG is the spirit of it being an amatuer based comp. Some folks are real serious about winning, and I think that's awesome because the level of riding out there the other day was so good you'd think it was a pro event. Its also cool seeing folks fly-in from all over to compete, really ups the ante!

But I think having a few hacks out there like me who will throw a boost with a cheesie tindy is okay too, and we can still impress a few grannies on the hill. Having the mix of super technical tricks along with fun old school stuff is great. Its too bad there wasn't enough time this year to do the planned Best Trick / Retro / Kiteloop comps... last year the Kiteloop comp was awesome! I'm definitely going to try to nail a deadman next year too if there's a retro comp.

"Kiteboarding Festival" is a great title for it and I hope next year more people enter in the name of fun... its a great event, just a non-stop party start to end.

Thanks for listening. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: