Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North interested in Naish's geotech?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:20 pm    North interested in Naish's geotech? Reply with quote

Check out this pic I took. Is North copying Naish's Geotech?

North_Copying_Naish.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jul 20, 07 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks for the images! Yeah, I noticed this funny kite when I was just in Hood River as well. Chased Steve (Yardsale) down on it at Stevenson for a closer look. Veeeeerrrrryyyyy interesting...

Bams

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 20, 07 11:27 am     Reply with quote

looks like they're running it as a 5th line instead of bridles.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 20, 07 11:30 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:

That's what they do with their current models.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 20, 07 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

Found this picture from undisclosed tropical location......Naish's super secret next kite after the Helix.....Ken better get to work on a new proto if he's gonna keep up....... Very Happy Very Happy

sma-p-6.gif 

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Jul 20, 07 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
FlyinElvis wrote:

That's what they do with their current models.

I think this is actually a good discussion...might need its own thread though. Some people prefer 5thline (which now splits into two attachment points for many brands), an many prefer the bridles, since that is only 4 lines. I must say that personally I like 4 lines for the surf since there is less of a chance to rip your kite that way.

I haven't had too many problems with worn out bridles, but I keep on checking them. With a 5th line you don't have to do that. I think overall though, that although a bridle and a 5th line partially does that same job ( I guess the bridle also makes the front attachment point even further forward), they have different strengths and weaknesses in terms of the qualities they bring to the kite.

For instance loosing your bar after having done a lot of kiteloops with a 5th line sucks a$$. But I think a 5th line make the kite fly a lot better than without.
The bridled kites so far has not been as good for powered kiteloops as the very evolved C-kite (this is my opinion, I know that others have their own and that is fine too). Still the SLE seems to work very well for kiteloops, just not as good.

I don't know what the hell I prefer, there are so many advantages and disadvantages to either approach.

I do know that after havig a go on the Helix, I do believe in the concept..if it can do all I want it to remains to be seen...the taste I got was promising though... Smile

oh, and I still want those big air pics Smile

A.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostSat Jul 21, 07 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

I know there's got to be a thread on this, but what's special about this design besides reduced radar signature?

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSun Jul 22, 07 1:33 am     Reply with quote

Reaper356 wrote:
I know there's got to be a thread on this, but what's special about this design besides reduced radar signature?

LOL, okay here's how I understand it..info gathered from forums, the beach and the helix minisite;

The geotech (whatever that means) is having segmented struts go straight between the struts making the canopy flat and under tension all the time instead of going wrinkly, and flapping in the wind. The reduces drag, and make the kite more efficient.

The Sigma shape is pulling the leading edge more backwards to get the center of weight in the middle of center of effort..this increases turning speed and reduces the chance of over flying...I saw a guy explaining it as what happens when ice skaters do pirouettes, and they pull in their arms...the pirouettes go way faster because the center of weight is more towards the center of effort.
It also makes the kite easier to relaunch because of the shape of the leading edge Smile

Combined the goetech and the sigma shape has some dynamicies that makes the shape better also...I think these are only a few of the things as far as I remember...

a.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 23, 07 5:43 am    Ugly Reply with quote

Other comments deleted

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Jul 23, 07 8:27 am     Reply with quote

i think it is all just a marketing gimmick Shocked

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostMon Jul 23, 07 8:49 am    Re: Ugly Reply with quote

Thought it was some dude using a hella old design. those colors make it look like it came straight out of the 70's. If you want to get people intersted, that's not the way to go.

pappas

Since 10 Jun 2007
58 Posts

PostTue Jul 24, 07 11:09 am     Reply with quote

How long you been kiting again?

"I was an agent in this bureau when your mommy was still wiping your shinny pink ass"... Pappas

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 24, 07 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Saw this kite in action the other day, dude was boosting huge with super soft landings. He also self landed this kite by attaching the fifth line to his board buried in some sand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: