Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

where is kiting in the central states

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostThu Jul 19, 07 3:16 pm    where is kiting in the central states Reply with quote

I need some help on kite spots(if any) that are across the central plain states. i am driving from portland to washington DC (long drive i know) and i have a few days to stop and kite at my leasure but i dont know were to go.

so if there is any sweet lakes where it always blows, or a little pond off the highway that i can get my fix on while taking this dreaded drive, let me know. as far as the highways i will take... that really depends where the winds are. if it is windy and there is a lake i will drive there. ther roads are jsut a way to get me from kite spot to kite spot.

thanks,
Keats

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostFri Jul 20, 07 8:58 am    seriously Reply with quote

no one travels huh? kiting in the gorge is just too alureing help me out

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jul 20, 07 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Well, I know you can kite here at Lake Machonahey, Nebraska http://www.kiteboardingcolorado.com/

not sure which route you are taking, but if you take 80 through Wyo, there are a bunch of little lakes or res that you can just stop and kite....It's always windy in Wyoming...I have kited a bunch of smaller lakes around Laramie, WY....google maps it, and you will see a bunch of water pretty close to the HWY. It will be gusty, but so is the gorge right?/ Very Happy

then, keep on through NEb and kite that huge lake MAc

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jul 20, 07 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Dude unless you head south & hit up the redneck riviera or up to the great lakes I think the kiting on the water will be pretty lackluster, especially compared to the PNW.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostFri Jul 20, 07 9:10 am     Reply with quote

honestly nothing will compare to the kiting i have gotten in here. but the route that i will take is where the lakes are going to be with wind. i know the great lakes were a good start but taht is a long ways away. i need something to look forward to.

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 20, 07 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Pick up a copy of The Kiteboarder. We just highlighted 11 riding spots in North America. It might help:-)

Marina
The Kiteboarder Magazine

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostSun Jul 22, 07 1:01 am    more info the better Reply with quote

marina,
thanks for the info that is what i needed. even better i have been looking for write up on the pismo expo. good artical and pics. thanks again

if any one has a favorite spot that would be nice to know aswell.

keats

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Jul 23, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

hefner lake in oklahoma city, possibly. dont know about hte spot, just read in a classifieds ad that people kite there.

kiteboardok

Since 23 Jul 2007
5 Posts
Edmond, Oklahoma
Kook

PostTue Jul 24, 07 8:41 am     Reply with quote

lots of kiteboarders at hefner in oklahoma city, ok. easy access. take brittan road exit off lake hefner parkway. lake hefner parkway is right off of I-44.

http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=nl

good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: