Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hello, thanks, and a few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
natazoo

Since 08 May 2007
7 Posts
hood river
Kook

PostThu Jul 19, 07 7:06 pm    Hello, thanks, and a few questions Reply with quote

I'm sure I've met some of you at the Spit, Lyle, or elswhere. Just don't know your screen names. I've been reading everybody's posts for a few months now and wanted to thank you all for all of the advice that I've received.

Thanks to you, I've ditched the board leash, gotten plenty of practice at upwind body dragging, and gotten some other good tips. I got stoked this morning when I read a post describing "pop" & initiating moves, exaclty what I needed to read right now.

Was riding up between Wells and the Hatchery today and lost my board. I tried dragging back and forth up to it, but eventually lost it bobbing up and down in the swell. Sucked. What sucked even more was dragging back down to the spit after finally giving up hope. Maybe I could have taken out at the hook, but a rocky, windsurfer laden landing was not what I wanted for my new 13's maiden voyage. Thankfully I recovered my board after driving along Hwy 14.

QUESTION 1: Are there times (depending on current, wind, swell, etc.) when upwind body dragging just will not get you back to your board, no matter what? Or do I need to spend more hours perfecting my drag?

QUESTION 2: What is the best adhesive for re-sticking old footpads? One of my Liquid Force Deluxe pads (no adhesive) tore off when I got worked one day at Lyle. LF will replace them for me, but I need to send back what I have & would be out of bindings for about 1 1/2 weeks. Thats no good in the middle of the season, when I'm trying to get on the water every day. In the meantime, I'm using an old Slingshot pad that I took from another board. I tried contact cement, but that doesn't seem to be the best. Any ideas?

Whoa. Long post. Thanks for reading.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jul 19, 07 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

A. It's not the body dragging I have trouble with, its spotting the board.
Sometimes I send the kite to get a birds-eye view of where its at. Many a times I'm above the board, but way aside from it.

B. Gorilla Glue works great-- don't get it anywhere you don't want it! -- usually permanent.

Glad you found your board! Very Happy

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:47 pm     Reply with quote

Some one posted a suggestion last week about counting:
One onethosand, Two onethousand.......ect., when you are body-draging and looking for your board. I have been using it lately and seems to work much better than gussing.

But spotting your board imedately after getting "your boys" worked on a missed landing is the secound thing I think about. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jul 20, 07 12:00 am    Re: Hello, thanks, and a few questions Reply with quote

natazoo wrote:
QUESTION 1: Are there times (depending on current, wind, swell, etc.) when upwind body dragging just will not get you back to your board, no matter what? Or do I need to spend more hours perfecting my drag?

Absolutely! If the wind cranks up and you're on too big of a kite (way overpowered, tea-bagging conditions), even with a light current, you'll never get to your board. Happened to JP last year at Rufus. That's another reason why it's good to ride with cool peeps, or people you know. At least then you can just have them grab your shit! Surprised

Then, as far as reattaching pads... If you don't want to opt for such a permanent, glue solution, such as the one that Jeff mentioned, look into 3M double sided sticky tape. I've never used it for this purpose, but I'm fairly confident you could find something that would hold well.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Jul 20, 07 10:53 am     Reply with quote

I almost lost my board last week at Rock Creek. Tried a trick dropped the kite and the wind died. Luckily I got the kite up long enough to get close to my board then I had to swim for it while I was still attached to my kite. There was absolutely no wind for like 15 minutes so I was able to swim while still attached.

Andy

natazoo

Since 08 May 2007
7 Posts
hood river
Kook

PostFri Jul 20, 07 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

A couple thin beads of gorilla glue under the heel and toe are definately holding. In the water less than 2 hours from application and that foot pad is going nowhere. We'll see how well she comes off this winter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: