Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

beginner needing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hip in white salmon

Since 11 Jul 2007
149 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 11, 07 10:16 pm    beginner needing advice Reply with quote

Hey guys...I just finished my first two lessons with Carlos at Kite the Gorge. WHat a blast!!! Now time for the big gear investment. I want to get this right. He recommends 9M Slingshot Turbo 2's and a 146 Misfit board. Anyone willing to chime in? I have heard alot about Waroos and Boxers. What is this "ass out of stance" thing? Also looking for opinions on a good first board? thanks for helping me out.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 12, 07 6:03 am     Reply with quote

hell yes, i'll wade in. karma is karma. . .

ass out is ass out. breaking forward from the waist is a no-no. looks goofy, but more importantly it robs you of power on the board. watch your more experienced bretheren out there. the annointed have learned to bring their hips forward, shoulders back.

carlos didnt mention this?

stance is key. Cool

gear selection-nah, i got no advice.

ride a bunch of different stuff. decide for yourself.

jimmi

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Jul 12, 07 7:03 am     Reply with quote

9m t2 would be a good choice a 9m waroo would be cheaper and very similar. I would say the 147 sx would be a better board choice for a beginer than a misfit. Your weight is also important with gear choice.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostThu Jul 12, 07 8:26 am     Reply with quote

a kite is a kite it jsut depends on what you like. thats the nice thing about all the different brands and different kinds. you have the bests kites for waht ever you want all at your finger tips.
board/kite combo depends on your weight(you should post your wieght, it is not a wierd thing for others to know in the kiting community). i have a nice beginner liquid force 136 board. easy to cut up wind and has served me well. i might be willing to part for real cheap. pm if interested.

i am also glad to hear you took lessons. encourage everyone new to do so. It is Just safer. why get hurt or hurt others because you have not freaking clue what you are doing. the winds are fearce and very unforgiving.
see you out on the water

keats

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 12, 07 8:34 am     Reply with quote

T2 kites have been working well for beginners this year.
The 9m2 and 11m2 T2's have been our most successful kites for beginners this year, but the Misfit is likely not a great choice for a beginner.

The Misfit is a too stiff and the tip/tail are a bit too wide for proper beginning skills development(I'm actually kind of suprised Carlos would suggest this sort of board to you).
SX boards are all sold out for the season, but the Liquid Force Proof and Recoil boards are now becoming very popular with beginners to advanced intermediates.

If you need any help give us a shout at 2nd Wind (we also have demos of these boards so you can "try before you buy").

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 12, 07 9:16 am     Reply with quote

YO Hip. Any of the bow kites would be good for you. In fact,I think I just saw an 06' 9m crossbow on portland craigslist for around $500. It flies very uich like the t2 and they are a soildly constructed kite (I am biased as I have tried lots of kite and really love it)

Kraemer is passively trying to sell his 12 crossbow although it is a little tired.

In terms of boards, I have an old slinghsot doyle (I think it is a 141) that I would see you on the super cheap. Decent board, nothing special, but it would do you fine while your getting that butt sucked in Laughing

Have fun, be safe, and always bring cold beer!!

Laughing

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 12, 07 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Opinions are like.... You know how it goes.

The 07 9m Waroo is a sick kite. Only one I've ridden out of the three you've listed. Don't discount it based on price alone.

With the boards the width is the important thing. You want to make sure the board isn't to wide because you won't get enough leverage over the heal-side edge. 39-40cm is standard, anything wider would be considered for heavier people with big feet or for use in light wind when you don't have to edge against the kite as much. I wouldn't surpass 142cm in length as it seems like the longer the board the quicker you'll grow out of it.

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 12, 07 10:22 am     Reply with quote

From newbie to newbie, I would have to agree with the others on this! If you like the kites you used during your lessons, than why not stick with them! ...or hit up a few demo days and go from there.

From all the research I have done, I dont think there is anything you can go wrong with given the impressive lineup of SLE's this season!

If you are looking to bounce some ideas/experiences around with another newbie, send me a PM!

hip in white salmon

Since 11 Jul 2007
149 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 12, 07 11:27 am    advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. Sounds like any 07 will work. Would a 170 lbs person like myself get more flyin time/quality rides with a 7m or 9m here in the gorge? How do you find our wind range info?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 12, 07 11:55 am     Reply with quote

seems like with your wright a 7 and 12 bow kite quiver will keep you kiting like 90% of the time.

Almost any 07 kite will do you well but allot of the 06 bows will treat you (and your wallet) pretty damn good as well.

If that doesn't work, buy an 12M 2002 fuel off e-bay....and a helmet. LOL

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 12, 07 12:03 pm    Re: advice Reply with quote

hip in white salmon wrote:
Thanks for all your help. Sounds like any 07 will work. Would a 170 lbs person like myself get more flyin time/quality rides with a 7m or 9m here in the gorge? How do you find our wind range info?

Since I think you'll be riding mostly at the Sandbar, are you going to be riding after work on weekdays mostly?

-Forrest

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 12, 07 12:20 pm    Re: advice Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
hip in white salmon wrote:

Since I think you'll be riding mostly at the Sandbar, are you going to be riding after work on weekdays mostly?

-Forrest

cause you definately need the 9m bow for the after work sessions in the Gorge, but then a 7m bow would be super nice for your days off because the wind cranks the hardest during the daytime. 7m and 11m would probably work the best, because you could probably get away w/ using the 11m for the after work sessions.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 13, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Why you jumping ahead Magic? Razz

Actually my point was going to be if you're going to be riding after 5pm on the weekdays then the 7/11 combo would be good, but if you could pick when you want to ride you could get away with just a 9m.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Jul 13, 07 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I also like the butt-drop-reach-for-the-sky stance.

and..

rear lines so slack I can't steer the kite syndrome.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Jul 13, 07 10:55 am    Use a seat harness, or comparable leg strap harness to Reply with quote

improve stance. If you are on a waist harness you may want to look at waist harness with leg straps.

This helped me a ton when I was first starting out.

Good Luck! Very Happy

hip in white salmon

Since 11 Jul 2007
149 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 15, 07 11:32 am    help for beginner Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice on choosing a board.I found a used sx 136 2006 and I am looking forward to growing into it. I appreciate all your replies.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Jul 16, 07 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

just sent you a Private Message with my advice. I don't want to start a brand debate on a thread here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: