Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hmm....11 or 13?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

JB,
You shouldn't have to make any line adjustments between the two kites. If the 9 seems a little to twitchy with the big bar then just hold it a little towards the center. I almost always error on the side of the bigger bar.

You probably want to grab it in the center when you first start learning to jump, backroll, frontroll. etc so you don't quickly send the kite in the wrong direction.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Jul 10, 07 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:
Hey jpeskin, that is a good callout! I was planning on using the 45cm bar for both and I hadnt really thought about using the 55cm. In doing this, did you have to make any adjustments in going from 9 to 13 or 13 to 9 ( back line knots, etc)?

When I tried the 9m with 55cm bar, I was on another guy's gear he let me try. He didn't mention any mods, so I'm guessing not. I haven't been able to test the 13m with the 55cm, but that's what Best recommends.

One thing you might consider is that when the 2007 waroos first came out, they were selling them with 23m lines. Apparently this confused people too much since the 2006's came with 25m lines, so they went back to selling 25 as standard. You might talk to some people at Best and elsewhere about 23m lines. There's a thread on here about people discussing the benefits of shorter lines. I got the 23m, but it will be a while before I have a feel for the difference. Also, i'm trying to depower the kite a bit so I can ride 13 when gf is on the 9 and me on the 9 when she's on 7.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I am the exact opposite as far as bar size goes. I prefer to use the smaller bar with all of my kites. ALthough the 12m 2006 waroo is my biggest kite. I like the feel of the smaller bar, of course I almost always ride with my hands in the center of the bar. The waroo is also a fairly responsive kite, so I don't think you need as much leverage to get it to turn fast.

I did modify my 7m and 9m 2007 kites though. I took off the pulleys on teh back line and relaced them with the Waroo pro direct bridle. I much prefer a direct feel and turn input on the waroo.

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Since I am still very new, I think it might be best to go with the shorter bar as it will probably be a little more forgiving! The last thing I need is to get a little off balance, grab the end of a 55cm bar on a 9m kite and send it tearing through the sky in the opposite way I'm riding! Shocked

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 10, 07 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:
However, this does bring up another question. Why would a manufacturer switch from odd numbered kite sizes to even in the upper end?

simple- in lighter winds the amount of size between each kite needed can be much greater. Perfect example would be my last years quiver
6m, 8m, 11m, 15m, 20.5m

The lighter the wind gets, the bigger the differential is in kite size because you need more precision while riding in higher winds, which means smaller differential between kite sizes for kites < 11m or whatever your preference may be. The T2 sizing is very similiar, 2m differential on the smaller kites and 3m differential between 11m and 14m. I wonder whatever happened to the 17m T2?

I remember last year, they use to pitch to me the 7m,11m,15m quiver, but i never went for this, i think 4m inbetween kites for higher wind is waaayyy to much. it should be 2m size difference between kites you're going to use in high winds and 3-5m difference between kites in lighter winds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: