Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner quandary - can I learn on 4 line stuff???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hiker1

Since 01 Jul 2007
124 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jul 05, 07 11:34 am    Beginner quandary - can I learn on 4 line stuff??? Reply with quote

First off, for who ever reads this --- this board rocks! As a beginner kiter, I've already posted a couple of questions and rather than getting brushed off with, "been there done that" - I've gotten lots of great advice! Very Happy
Thanks!!!!!

Damn, the old saying ya don't know what ya don't know applies here - and to this question now that I've been shopping around for gear.

I got a Jarvis 157 to learn on ---.weigh 190. For starting this gig, I'm finding semi-affordable sails 03 - 05ish (already got a Naish x2 10M w/bar). Yet I keep hearing it is far easier to re-launch a downed kite with a 5 string set up. Finding even used 5 string kites are TONS more expensive as most don't go back latter than 05 to 06. Of course, better safety systems - ease of flight etc. If I was a millionaire, who gives a shit about cost. Gotta work for a living - so I can play hard. But the financial realities of kiting are just sinking in... Shocked

As a total beginner (at the body drag stage) am I OK getting less expensive 4 line set ups to learn on, then switch to 5 line when my new obsession forces me to spend $$$??? --- or is it a total hassle/waste of time to learn on 4 lines?

Can I wait on the 5 line stuff at this point?

Thanks y'all for more great advice Smile

Last edited by hiker1 on Thu Jul 05, 07 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Jul 05, 07 11:41 am     Reply with quote

For "C" kites, 5 lines makes all the difference in the world for relaunching. Having the link at the very center of the kite allows you to get the kite on its back, instantly, instead of having to swim at it. Yes, it's possible to relaunch on 4 lines, but it'll definately take longer.

Then take into consideration that you'll for surely be putting your kite in at one time or another... I think it'd be a good idea. It also doubles as a way to safety kill the kite if anything goes wrong. When you get into bows/hybrids, the 5th isn't so important.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 05, 07 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Ok, we are only going to say this once (or at least I am).

I know that your a beginner at that money is tight, etc. BUT, you are going to find that in general, the newer the kite that you are going to be able afford, the easier it is going to be for you to learn.

That said, there is a whole lot more to kite selection than 4 or 5 lines. A 5 line fuel will probably scare you jsut as much as a 4 line fuel would. We don't like gear wars here at all (PKH forbids them anyways) but I would really really really steer towards a bow kite for your first kite....like big time.

If you can't afford a 06' waroo you have to ask yourself, do I have enough money for this sport.

Smile

NOOB

Since 21 Jun 2007
24 Posts

PostThu Jul 05, 07 11:58 am     Reply with quote

I pondered the same question for a while and actually posted the exact same question about a week ago.

The cheaper old C kites sure had me drawn in, but you can find good deals on the 06 Waroos. Check ikitesurf, it had tonnes of stuff on it. Got my waroo shipped complete for 5 bills. Its upgraded to the 07 stuff and I think i got a fair deal. Picked up a brand new LF harness of ebay for 50 bucks and a used RRD board from skypilot for 2 bills. And yes after a 300 dollar lesson, it sure does start to add up. BUT Im an extreme mountain snowmobiler and guide and this sport is the only one that SCARES me..., bigtime respect for the wind after hooking into a bigboy kite and the ease of the depower with the waroo for a extra hundy or so, it was an easy choice.

EDIT Id imagine resale on these is going to be easy as more and more people are joining the sport

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Without any question, a bow kite is by far the better kite to learn on....I would recommend a waroo any day....For the money, it's really a good choice...

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

About buying cheap stuff first, its always more expensive than buying the right stuff right away. I bought a beginner board first (big, kinda heavy, round rails) good to learn on but grew out of it kinda quick, so I bought a second board, a light, short sharp railed one, by now ive spent over 800 dollars on boards, I could have gotten one really sweet one for that kind of money. Same goes for kites. Get a decent one right away. bluae99 is apparently selling his 9m turbo II (http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-5029.html), a sweet kite if you ask me, ive got 2 of em now. Plus you'll like being able to relaunch your kite quickly, saves you a LOT of time as a beginner. The first couple times I still spent more time in the water than on my board cause I had to relaunch so often. I couldn't imagine having to do that with a C kite. I won't even go into safety, I'm sure you are aware of the differences there. so all in all would you rather buy a C kite and a 5 line or just a five line?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Not to mention newer kites have more depower than the older C kites.

If you can't afford an 06 right now, take another few weeks/months to save up. You'll save so much time/money in the long run, the money you spend on gas will be worth more because you'll have better sessions, you'll progress faster, and you'll have the gear to take things to the next level when you get there.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

PMB - gear wars are okay as long as its not brand related.

hiker - you could go 5 line C kite but really I think C kites are not as good for beginners as a flat/hybrid/bow/sle kite (inflatable kites with bridles.) They just have more usable range than the C kites, though C kites can be a lot of fun.

If you just buy one kite, get a 9m or 11m. Then you can make yourself a big homemade plywood board for the lightwind days and you will still have a Gorge kite.

You can usually find good used kites for $300-$450. If that sounds like too much money then it might be time to find a different sport honestly because that's really nothing when you start talking about a full quiver, a new board, replacement lines, gas, etc..

I think this sport costs too much, but if you get hooked you will pay anything to get the fix. Very Happy

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with PKH Phill, bow style is the way to go.....C kite - only if you got a 5th line....

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I think this sport costs too much, but if you get hooked you will pay anything to get the fix. Very Happy

thats for sure

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I think this sport costs too much, but if you get hooked you will pay anything to get the fix. Very Happy[/quote]

"A pair of Sandals for girlfriend on her birthday - 20 bucks"
"A new kite for me w/ board - 1000 bucks..."

just a thought....... Wink

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 05, 07 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

Never impulse buy your kite gear. Bare in mind that you can upgrade to a 5 line bar if 4 line relaunch doesn't work for you.
Try iwindsurf.com for deals on used gear.

ansarha

Since 01 Jul 2006
112 Posts
Redmond Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Jul 05, 07 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

I learned on a 4 line older (naish ar5) last year and i thought this sport was getting to me in the way it seemed like i was alwasy fighting the kite then i upgaded to the Waroo WOW what a difference just in the depower and i feel like i get to kite and have fun without the fight of the c kites

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 05, 07 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

If your super confused it is a safe bet to get nothing older than 06. Seriously, I think it should be against the law to sell some of those old fuels and stuff on feebay. Some poor douche bag going to learn on an 02 fuel. ouchie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: