Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oh Port, are you listening????

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 7:40 am    Oh Port, are you listening???? Reply with quote

I'd like to hear how the Port plans to address this lawlessness of leash-less Dogs on their property???????????????????

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I see a classic set up for a payout of fat stacks after the next dog bit occurs on port property for the litigious type...

I wonder if the Port will wait to get sued before they wake up & do something to control this issue on their property.

If you're the litigious type, well come & get it Wink

Oh, yeah, please remind us again what you're doing with our daily launch fees.

Thanks!!!

John

Last edited by J.P. on Wed Jun 27, 07 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:05 am     Reply with quote

There is no value in this discussion, especially over the internet

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 27, 07 8:24 am     Reply with quote

it didnt take long for you to become the biggest tool on the board yet again... ( for the 2nd year running I believe or was that 2 years ago)? much like the good old days of the shredbarbie posts YOU ARE A WEINER!!!!! Congrats!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
it didnt take long for you to become the biggest tool on the board yet again... ( for the 2nd year running I believe or was that 2 years ago)? much like the good old days of the shredbarbie posts YOU ARE A WEINER!!!!! Congrats!

Reality check... we live in a sue happy society.

Jack, name calling, that's big of you... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You can sleep well knowing no is taking the "biggest tool award" away from you. Razz

I'm a tool because i point the leverage point to fix the problem???
Tool?!? like the USA isn't the sue happiest country on the planet....
seeszzeee....
Come out of your cave and look around! Laughing
Fact of the matter is it's the Port's responsibility to control their property.

We pay the Port for the 'privilege' to launch and ride from the bar and we receive what in return for our $3.00????

You want to fix the problem, it's EASY, the individual that got bite should file a suit.
My crystal ball says <(btw) it's more accurate the D.T.G.'s eight ball> the problem will be quickly resolved. Cool

Sheri, do you care to comment on the Ports behalf???

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 11:55 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
There is no value in this discussion, especially over the internet

That's one perspective.
Sounds like your the type that sweeps his problems under a rug, no?!? Laughing
Others would argue the public domain is the ideal place to work the issue and therefore PRICELESS! Cool

Last edited by J.P. on Wed Jun 27, 07 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 27, 07 12:06 pm    I wonder if the Port will wait to get sued before they wake Reply with quote

So what are you saying I can sue the port if I get hit by a drunk driver? What a bunch of crap you guys are turning this into! Well some of you!!!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 12:15 pm    Re: I wonder if the Port will wait to get sued before they w Reply with quote

Bonetti wrote:
So what are you saying I can sue the port if I get hit by a drunk driver?

Um... please put down the bong..

i never wrote or suggested that.

I'm suggesting there's a high likelihood the port will DO SOMETHING after it's brought to their attention through a law suit, for example having their security personal 'police' and enforce the leash issue.

Until the Port's motivated, nothing will happen.

Money is a powerful motivator. get it?

Last edited by J.P. on Wed Jun 27, 07 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I hate what he is saying but he is right. After a public debate about people getting bit and a bad collision with a dog. if it happens agin the person who is injured would be in a position to go after the land owner manager(their is no way they could claim they did not know about the problem) of course the dog owner would be mostly at fault.

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 27, 07 12:40 pm    "I see a classic set up for a payout of fat stacks" Reply with quote

No bong here guy! Your the one that can't remember what you wrote?

"I see a classic set up for a payout of fat stacks after the next dog bit occurs on port property for the litigious type... "

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 12:51 pm    Re: "I see a classic set up for a payout of fat stacks& Reply with quote

Bonetti wrote:
No bong here guy! Your the one that can't remember what you wrote?

??????

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
19 Posts

PostWed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 pm I wonder if the Port will wait to get sued before they wake Reply with quote
So what are you saying I can sue the port if I get hit by a drunk driver? What a bunch of crap you guys are turning this into! Well some of you!!!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 27, 07 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

tstansbury wrote:
if it happens agin the person who is injured would be in a position to go after the land owner manager(their is no way they could claim they did not know about the problem) of course the dog owner would be mostly at fault.

Bingo!
Keep in mind the Port has DEEP pockets. Wink

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 27, 07 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

if something is against the established rules, but not creating a problem or hurting anyone (rigging slightly inside the magic 600ft border), it seems to be okay.

if something is clearly creating problems and hurting people (idiots or beginners doing their thing) but not against any rules, it seems to be okay.

if something is both against the rules and seriously hurting people and damaging property (dogs), you would think it would actually be enforced. if not, then i look forward reveling in this anarchy by flying my kite low and aggressively at the event site, taking out masts and all the people rigging on the spit. they will just have to deal with it. need to stretch my legs and have fun on the weekends.

actually, i bet that if kiters’ dogs were harassing windsurfers, this would be enforced seriously. kiters hurting kiters? no one cares. we’re like kids from the ghetto. no one cares if we go around killing each other. but if we start attacking people in the nice parts of the city or suburbs, big problem for the authorities…

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostWed Jun 27, 07 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

J.P.-

I don't have a clue who you are but that's the second time I saw you tell someone to put down the bong in two different threads. What are you on a crusade against pot smokers too? You sound like one uptight dude.

Next thing your your gonna say is they should make pot illegal.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Jun 27, 07 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Oh Wow!!! Do you think I'm crazy enough to "step in" this subject just because I'm an elected official? Did someone tatoo "stupid" on my forehead while I was away on my kiteboard vacation? Oh well...you asked and I will comply. PLEASE "flame" gently.

I can't answer for the port because I'm just one commissioner but.....
Dogs in general, dogs on port property, dog poop, dogs destroying equipment (kite and windsurfing), mean dogs, dog bites and everything else you could think of regarding dogs is an on going "problem" that we - the commission have tried to set policy for. I'm inviting anyone and everyone who would like to express their opinion on this - or any other port issue - to attend our meetings. We meet the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month @ 5:30 in the Port Board Room. There is a sign-up sheet available for public comment. We don't usually get into discussions but we are always listen and then may decide to add it to the next aganda. Meeting agandas are posted on the port's website.

There are laws/rules in place to protect the average person but it takes enforcement --- think Animal Control Officer. For more information check out http://www.dogbitelaw.com And/or the Hood River County leash law, City of Hood River leash law and the port's rules regarding dogs. But...many have said that we all bend the rules, break the rules and that some think that rules are made to be broken......so it boils down to the ability to enforce the rules should someone choose to.

Being a dog owner/lover I am very conflicted. I personally believe in holding the owner responsible for his or her dog's actions and that they should be under supervision at ALL times but.... AGAIN that's just my PERSONAL OPINION. I love seeing dogs have a good time. I don't take my dog kiting, windsurfing, and/or surfing. I do take her hiking and for a romp in the water on a hot, windless day.

Please also keep in mind that the sandbar is part port property and part DSL - Division of State Lands. It's current use is happening because of a signed agreement between DSL, Port of Hood River, CGWA & CGKA.

Lastly....the $3 access fee goes towards road maintenance, port a potties and liability insurance just to name a few things that I can think of.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: