Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Reading Rooster Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:09 am    Reading Rooster Rock Reply with quote

One thing about Rooster Rock that I think some still haven't figured out, you have to count any easterly flow at Troutdale as meaning Rooster is NUKING. Usually its 10mph more than Stevenson or stronger.

If Stevenson is reading 20+ and Troutdale is reading 5+, then Rooster is nuking (like it is right now.)

They have a sensor there but I think its in the middle of the parking lot or something, no way near an accurate reading. The Corbett sensor is good, just add 10-15mph, or look at the gust reading as the average.

I'd say Rooster is low thirties right now. IWindsurf says wind won't taper off in the afternoon like usual, so if you can get there by 5 your probably good. I hear some beach is out there now too, so go hit it!

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Agree with PKH. Bring a small rig today. Should be enough sand the further east you go up past the nude beach area.

Have fun! Very Happy

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

no sand. Well, there was enough to rig right at the bottom of the stairs, but the beach that is out a ways (and through the VC jungle) was completely under water. Wind was pretty spotty, I bailed. Hope the downwinder rocked.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 26, 07 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

rich wrote:
no sand. Well, there was enough to rig right at the bottom of the stairs, but the beach that is out a ways (and through the VC jungle) was completely under water. Wind was pretty spotty, I bailed. Hope the downwinder rocked.

Downwinder wasn't good, wind died right when we set out. Damn IWindsurf for making me think easterlies would last longer than usual. Should have started at noon or earlier.

Surprised about there being no sand at RR, sometimes you can walk up the trails and find it on the east end...

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 26, 07 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

RR just hasn't been good this year yet for me either. That hike out to the midway launch sucks, and then to find no sand Evil or Very Mad .

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Damn IWindsurf for making me think easterlies would last longer than usual. Should have started at noon or earlier.

The only iwindsurf forecaster with better than average accuracy is George McClean. Life was cool a few years ago when he had his own site - and it was free.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostWed Jun 27, 07 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

shredjim wrote:
pkh wrote:
Damn IWindsurf for making me think easterlies would last longer than usual. Should have started at noon or earlier.

The only iwindsurf forecaster with better than average accuracy is George McClean. Life was cool a few years ago when he had his own site - and it was free.

Agreed for sure!! George was awesome on his own. It sucks he didn't get the support he needed to keep it going.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: