Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

self launch technique for waroo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostSat Jun 23, 07 7:40 am    self launch technique for waroo Reply with quote

I went kitesurfing at Stevenson yesterday and was the first one there. Luckily I got an assisted launch because my buddy showed up.

1) However, if you show up and no one is there for an assisted launch how do you guys do a self launch with a waroo at Stevenson?

2) How do you self launch a waroo from a beach location like Sauvie?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Jun 23, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

I've never really done it at Stevenson, and it would depend on the water level, but if you can get down to the rocks below with your lines semi organized, then that's a start. I'd just drift the kite out, then once everything is good, water relaunch it. Only thing you have to be careful of is the wind shadow around the bend. Don't get too far in it, or you're going to be swimming!

Aside from that, the only other option I'd really think about is launching from the parking lot. I'd be sketch on a really windy day though...

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Stevenson would be a tricky spot to self laungh. This is how I ussually self launch my waroo. I bring a piece of nylon webbing or strong rope and a climbing carabiner with me. Then I tie the rope around something that won't move, and hook the biner into the chicken loop. Then I just take the kite and set it on the edge of the wind window, with the lines depowered and the kite basically flies itself. This is best if the kite is actually sitting on the water, but I did this yesterday at lyle on the beach. This could work at Stevenson if you could put the kite on the downwind sside of the large rock, but I can't remember if there is anything to tie off to for the chicken loop.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Jun 23, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

i self launched there a few times this winter with a link when there was nobody around. pretty much did it exactly as adam described, setting up, wrapping my lines, drifting the kite out, relaunch like normal. it helped alot to walk it over to the point past the big rock so there wasnt any danger of being stuck in the shadow and when it hot launched i just got drug in the water.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 10:51 am     Reply with quote

I attempeted a self launch at Stevenson about two weeks ago.
I brought myself a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet and laid it down on the rocky beach. I weighted the wingtip and started to go out in the water while unwrapping my lines......only one problem while I was unwrapping my lines about half way, the weight on the wing tip pushed off (approximately 8-10 psi in leading edge) and SHIT hit the fan!
I got hot launched towards the bearly submerged rock and started to get blowen down wind.

The funny part is, just as I was getting ready to self launch Brenden showed up and asked if I needed a launch. I replied, no thanks I want to try self launching down on the rocky beach.

Note to self, if someone asks if you would like a launch, take it. If nobody is around go down and ask one of the sling shot crew to launch you, I sure they would love to assist espically if you are flying a slingy.

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostSat Jun 23, 07 11:15 am    drift details Reply with quote

How do you drift the kite out? Leading edge down or kite upside down leading edge facing wind?? I assume you do not hook in while unwinding lines? I assume you wind up an extra 10ft of center line to help avoid a hot launch while unwinding lines? Any techniques to avoid hot launch while unwinding the lines?

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Jun 23, 07 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

I've self launched my waroos at Stevenson. Setup everything as normal then carefully wind lines back on bar. Carry everything down to beach. Set kite down on the rocks with board on it. uwind lines in repeated S away from kite on beach toward big rock. Pull depower in all the way. Clip in go back and put kite leading edge down in water and feed it out holding one of the back lines. Then just steer it out towards the river and do a water relaunch. Drift launching and trying to unwind lines at the same time has not been succesful for me, can't get the lines unwound fast enough. I've tried the tethering chicken loop thing worked when wind was steady, in a gusty spot was very exciting!! tried a couple of times with similar results. kite rolled downwind in lulls then in gust self launched and shot straight up then crashed itself, repeated this pattern a few times. clear. Have seen the videos of thiis technique working well but i'm a bit wary now in the Gorge

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

When you drift launch make sure you put the kite in the water like you'd put it down on the beach. That way it won't be real juiced and you will have time to unwind your lines. Once your lines are out, just pull on one side line to flip it around.

Drift launching at Stevenson, you just want to make sure that there is enough wind to launch the kite from the water. Also be ready to flag the kite out quick if something isn't hooked up right... I have only drift launched a few times, and every time it feels a bit sketch. Don't do this unless you really feel like you are ready.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostSun Jun 24, 07 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

This is an "expert only" self launching a BOW or SLE method!!!

1 lay out your lines so they are down wind of your bar
2 connect to kite
3 stand kite up on "Trailing Edge"
4 grab front lines and walk back to bar
5 check lines and hook in chicken loop
6 take a deep breath
7 reach up the front lines as far as you can and pull hard
8 don't let go of the lines until the kite is almost above you
9 exhale
10 release front lines and walk to the water and enjoy

I used this all weekend at Roosevelt at the lower launch and it worked great.

Bandito

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostSun Jun 24, 07 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

I drift my kites 90% of the time up here and If it's got bridals or 5th line it's super easy. I used to lay the lines out and drift that way, but I found it safer and easier to keep the lines on the bar. Also great way to boatlaunch. Here's how I do it.
Set kite LE down and into the wind and attach lines upwind of kite. Then wind in front lines (or 5th) maybe 4-5 times,(different with different kites, 5th line wrap 'till the stopper ball)) essentially so fronts are taught, and the rear lines are slack. Then proceed to wrap all lines up until you reach your LE. Grab your kite, careful not to put the bar through the bridal, etc, and set it in the water LE down and into the wind. It should drift casually away, since all tension is on the front or fifth line. As far as pauls' comment on not being able to drift it fast enough, this stops that scenario. In fact, I often stop the kite mid-drift because I'm slipping around, messing with my board, rechecking things, etc. Relax, get your sh*t together and continue drifting kite.
With bridals, if the kite starts spinning around to catch wind before it's unwound from the bar, just reach out and pull the appropriate front line to center things again. Same with 5th line but not as easy to keep from spinning around prematurely, but still a fairly basic procedure.
When the kite's fully drifted, hook in, grab rear line and spin the kite around, do one last check for crossed or messed up lines and launch. I like to leash to an outside line, so if anything is wrong I hit my safety and flag the kite out.
Sometimes the chop has almost let wind under the LE as it drifts, and that could get ugly, but so far it hasn't. I found in that scenario, you can dunk your LE under water, so the kite's canopy will have water (weight) on top of it. It'll drain away fairly quick,(depending on kite) so I'm not sure it's as effective as I want to believe it to be.
Anyway, that's what I do. Probably got a couple hundred launches down with VERY few abortions. If I do abort, it is always because of my careless line setup. Never anything else, so far.....
Just pay attention, be careful, and enjoy!
Scott
P.S. I used to use the "ghost launch" method described by Kodiak, but one downfall can be if there is a lull or wind shift, the kite can move aound, fall from it's wingtip stance onto it's leading edge, then swing back into the center of the window. Not horrible if it's on water, but I saw a 2' tear on a leading edge from a kite doing this and sliding over something sharp on the beach. Ouch!

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostWed Jun 27, 07 1:40 pm    video of sand bag self launch and land method Reply with quote

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?option=com_videos&task=download&id=974&Itemid=31

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: