Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Now That's gusty - Sunday at the Spit...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jeffreyc

Since 23 Aug 2006
43 Posts

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:13 pm    Now That's gusty - Sunday at the Spit... Reply with quote

Sunday around 2:50p a comfortable 16mph breeze went insane with gusts near 40mph. I was out on a 14m Torch when all hell broke loose. After multiple lofts and a couple of nasty drags, I pulled the release on at my chicken loop. It was the !st time I ever used it and I'm glad it worked.

The moral to this story: Practice your releases so you know they work, keep you eye upwind at that incoming storm and stash a $20 bill in your harness for the fisherman that pulls you sorry ass out of the drink.

Anybody else get tooled??

big gust.jpg 

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Same thing happened over at Secret Spot. Janet was out on the 7m and basically got lofted off her board. I was on the 9 m and it was quite an interesting experience.

We almost lost Janets board because she couldn't body-drag up wind in the gusts, and by the time I got up there I couldn't find it. Luckily we went out and saw it on the jetski. I was quite impressed though, Janet actually managed to self land in the cove

Gman was trying to launch Rollo when the gust hit. He was flying his 5m and holding Rollo's 9m. He basically got dragged out to the water and had to let go of the 9m before Rollo was hooked in. Kite took off, and the chicken loop smacked Tom's finger good, looked broken or dislocated. Hopefully he is ok.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

Identical at LYLE..

It was nice 9m 12m stuff in the morning....then after noon
we were on 7-12m( I think?) and the devil winds hit.

-My 9m was on the beach after being super-juiced....and dude on 9m waroo comes in to land cause too hot...so we all go for him to help, ......and then a 12m laying on the beach with a board, log, and sand on it somehow shot down the beach taking 2 other kites with it!!! My 9m, 12m and another 9m did the tri-fecta spiral down the beach as we ran after them... finallycaught them all.... At least one broken line per kite....but no other injuries.

Then the wind went back to 7-9m stuff..

That's crazy though, that we all got that!

Here are couple shots shots of Jon before the gnaar.. there will be more later..

john raley.JPG 

Last edited by chanson on Sun Jun 24, 07 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

I thought this thread would come up. When I saw the river and all the wind sensors peak out all in a row....Stevenson, Swell City, Event, Rowena, and Dougs--I thought oh...man. I hope everybody's alright. Whew!

Picture 2.jpg 

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 24, 07 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

Thats when you just hang on and hauck it huge!!!! Very Happy

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostSun Jun 24, 07 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats when you just hang on and hauck it huge!!!!

Does this count?

john uhook.JPG 

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostSun Jun 24, 07 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

wow, thats some crazy shizzzzz............

tom, hope yer finger is okay??

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 07 5:51 am     Reply with quote

heya,

man i am glad not to be reading injury/fatality reports this morning, or worse yet, listening to the talking heads with their ersatz concerns. props to nw pilots. Cool

but the question that begs asking is how to prepare for such she!t?

and what would have happened if one of our "younger" bros or sistas had been jumping on the sand, foolin around, or jumping near the beach when the gusts rolled through? makes ya think. Shocked

jimmi

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostMon Jun 25, 07 6:32 am     Reply with quote

From the Event Site I watched a group of kiters by the White Salmon with their kites at noon position just hanging in there. I saw a green kite get ejected, my friends on the beach counted three. Cudos to those who hung in there, but even more to those who used their emergency releases. It must take a lot to let your kite loose, but its not worth your LIFE.

In terms of "how do you prepare", before the big wind hit I noticed there was a storm right over Viento. It was a gray vail that came all the way down to the water, not just dark clouds over-head. When there are storms like that in the area, be ready for anything. Hope everyone got their gear back ok, great that no one hurt.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 25, 07 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Kudos to a guy named Kevin (I think) on a blue RRD. You Rock!!

This guy raised the bar for anybody who wants to be considered a "Good Kiter". He not only stayed out through the whole "Yank-and-Spank-Blast", but then, cleaned up the floating remains of the "Yardsale", by sweeping the area between the hook and the spit, like a janitor, and one-handedly, retrieving, carrying and depositing the victim's boards back on the spit.

Never seen anything like it...just hope he's around when I mess up.

jeffreyc

Since 23 Aug 2006
43 Posts

PostMon Jun 25, 07 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Kitezilla, I hear you saved a few yourself on the beach. Some newbies on 2m trainers were given a taste of the 'real kiting experience' as they were dragged across the beach.

Huge thanks to the gang that cleaned the beach. It's now a safer placed to get dragged.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: