Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

foil boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 20, 07 3:35 pm    foil boards Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these things? They always looked hella interesting to me.

http://www.neilprydemaui.com/items.php?id=483

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 20, 07 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

FlyingElvis - rides them

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 20, 07 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

FlyingElvis has one, we've been meaning to get out and ride it!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jun 20, 07 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

it looks like fun, in addition to looking really dangerous.

Imagine riding that thing at Lyle. Hey look at me buzzing through the shallow water! .....SLAM.....

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 20, 07 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

is that how he go hurt Question

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 20, 07 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

EdG wrote:

nope!... well, not directly... my shoulder went from snowboarding... but it had plenty of rope/boat time on it already.

I have the foilboard, and I'll let anyone try it out. I think it's best to have 2 people which kind of makes it a pain, but it's tough to fly the kite AND get into the board at the same time.

I'm gone this weekend, but any other time, and you can check it out. You'll need some snowboard boots unless you can wear a size 8.

Just PM me sometime, and I'll help you get on it.

or.... on those glassy days, we might be able to talk Rollo into some boat time on it!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 21, 07 9:46 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
EdG wrote:

nope!... well, not directly... my shoulder went from snowboarding... but it had plenty of rope/boat time on it already.

I have the foilboard, and I'll let anyone try it out. I think it's best to have 2 people which kind of makes it a pain, but it's tough to fly the kite AND get into the board at the same time.

I'm gone this weekend, but any other time, and you can check it out. You'll need some snowboard boots unless you can wear a size 8.

Just PM me sometime, and I'll help you get on it.

or.... on those glassy days, we might be able to talk Rollo into some boat time on it!

So how do you get going on a foil board?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 21, 07 9:56 am     Reply with quote

send it! Smile

same as a kiteboard... you need to shoot downwind for a second to get going, it's easier than trying to cut across the wind right away...

after that, you have a one board fits all conditions setup... it'll fly at around 8mph, though it's much more fun in the 20's.

the wings are designed for performance. performance meaning flight through the water, and generating lift quickly (which in turn creates jumps).

i haven't found the perfect spot for it in the gorge yet, but I suppose stevenson would be great for it once you get deep enough. The river seems really deep there.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 21, 07 10:16 am     Reply with quote

I mean getting the thing on - do you have swim out tread water - get in the boots and then someone hands you the kite? or can you put it on and drag to deeper water?

Sounds like it would be killer at Stevenson for cutting through the chop - just don't find one of the few lurking rocks.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jun 21, 07 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't even think about getting the thing on although the thought of drowning with it attached to my feet did cross my mind.

The big question..how does it feel when your on it? is it crazy smooth like warm butter? Is it spooky floating above the water like that?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 21, 07 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

hey monkeyman.... the foilboard actually floats better than you do! Smile

it's a crazy feeling... there's no resistance, so it's kind of like you're levitating or something. Waves and chop become perfectly flat water.

to get on it, i usually put the snowboard boots on, then walk out with the ski into chest deep water. Then I need someone to bring me the kite....

i've just about got it figured out how to do it myself...take the ski out first and float it in the water (preferrably not in current), walk out with the kite in the boots, and then slide the boots into the bindings.

I'm interested in the new Slingy wakeboard boots. I think I could leave them mounted to the board, and then jam my feet in. I like them because you can adjust the canter of the feet while your feet are in the boots if needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: