Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hey, What's up with the slider?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
G-dog

Since 04 Jan 2007
61 Posts
Portland

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Deleterious Materials: The following conditions relating to control of hazardous, toxic and waste materials shall be observed:
a. Treated Wood: Ineligibility- Projects which propose installation of chemically treated wood that will contact surface or ground water or that will be placed over water where it will be exposed to abrasion require individual, site specific review and are, therefore, not certified by this 401 WQC.
b. Projects that require removal of chemically treated wood must:

I know nobody wants to read about this, but hey, it's fun for me. I talked to one of my contacts at DEQ and here's what he had to say:
the Federal Clean Water Act (Section 401) regulates placement of chemically treated wood in or over waters of the state (including
wetlands) when a removal/fill permit (Section 404 CWA) or navigable waterway (Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act) permit is required.
Typically, use of chemically treated wood in or over water is discouraged. Recommended alternatives (Nontoxic Alternatives:
Concrete or steel piles. Whenever lumber, wood, or other wood products will be used below ordinary high water, or as part of an in-water or over-water structure, and must be treated to assure effective performance against decay or other wood destroying organisms, the applicant should consider using regular lumber that has been (1) permanently sealed using a water-based silica product (e.g., Internal Wood Stabilizer, manufactured by Timber Pro UV in Portland, Oregon), or
(2) temporarily sealed using a nontoxic water repellant and wood sealer (e.g., SoyGuard Premium Water Repellent and Wood Sealer, manufactured by SoyClean in Brooklyn, Iowa). Similarly, recycled lumber should be considered for uses that do not require stress-graded products (e.g., Maxituf plastic lumber, manufactured by Resco Plastics in Coos Bay, Oregon - no sealing or maintenance required during the 50-year warranty period). or using WWPA "Certified" products and coating them with a non-toxic, water resistant sealant which must be maintained for the life of the structure (ok for overwater structures, not so good for immersed components), and providing abrasion protection (mattin, padding, floats, etc.).

The gist is that chemical components leach into water (particularly of concern are copper, zinc, arsenic, etc. which are the typical components to treat western wood species, and also PAHs from good old creosote) for months after initial placement and then again with each new exposure from abrasion, etc.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jun 12, 07 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

IT HASN'T HIT THE WATER YET AND ITS GETTING RAINED ON HERE ON THE FORUM. I would dump it at night and claim no responsibility. You never know it may float away Laughing Laughing Laughing

permits with the treated lumber may be a issue for sure. rediculous.

I would keep my C.C.B # out of any construction pics. last thing any one needs a claim against or anything. Defacing those poor salmon's habitat.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Damn that debris that floated down the river sure seems like it could make a good slider. way to recycle you guys. Wink

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostTue Jun 12, 07 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like if the PT lumber is sealed, it can be used? Did I miss something? Also, this thing floats... so the wood would actually be above the waterline.

I say seal it with approved method, treat it as recreational watersports gear. Ie-
-Stand up paddle barge- you know for cross training. Or put a mastrack in between the trex and make it a lightwind windsurfer.

or put a sail on it and register it as a homemade saliboat... have seen those moored at the sandbar in the summer.

Many options.

With all the shit in the river from barges, trains, boats, cars, trucks, tourists, fisherman,q kiteboarders, etc, etc, I don't think this is really bad for the water on the grand scale... and I think all involved are willing to do whatever it right to make it as environmental as possible.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 12, 07 10:56 pm     Reply with quote

As previously mentioned in another thread.
The permit will be a necessary fact of life.

Sherrif Mike did raise the question at 2 seperate Sandbar meetings regarding manmade craft located on the Columbia River or on the sandbar vicinity. He stated that as long as the manmade craft possessed a valid permit issued from the DSL(Dept of State Lands) he would leave them alone, but if it did not have a valid permit from DSL, he will be forced to remove it as soon as possible.

When asked about the kicker that was left last year, he commented that he let it slide temporarily (and even saved it from floating away once), but this year he would not be able to overlook any similar situations. As a result of all the hype around the Sandbar he likely was going to have to be extra cautious about any similar floating craft.

We've been given fair notice of the requirements needed to make it legit and also of the actions that the sheriff has to take if proper legal actions are not taken.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, just trying to make sure that whomever has financially and physically invested in this project does not see it get removed and destroyed without any fighting chance.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 12, 07 11:38 pm     Reply with quote

I was at the meeting where our cool sheriff Mike said the things Pepi posted. He is very supportive of productive kiteboarding activities, but he has to do his job. Talk to Mike or get the permit from DSL, they are friendly reasonable people. I just got the next "right of entry" permit from DSL in the mail today for our June 23rd sandbar cleanup. PM me if you guys need help getting the approvals/permits.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Jun 13, 07 10:32 am     Reply with quote

I think the simple way to get around the treated wood issue would be to remove any treated wood (rails/supports) and replace them with an alternative/composite material such as Trex.

(According to the manufacturer, Trex is made primarily from hardwood sawdust and recycled polyethylene plastic grocery sacks and plastic wrap.

Engineered lumber products have developed rapidly over the past few decades to the point that, in some ways, they are superior to wood. Engineered lumber is more moisture resistant and thus more stable. It expands and contracts less with changes in humidity and temperature and does not warp or twist).

When we went to the OBX last year I noticed that Real was using this type of material on thier sliders and water side decking. It totally makes sense, no harm to the enviroment and wont degrade, warp, splinter, and its a plastic base material (i.e. better as a slider).

If you launch the slider with the treated wood, its just a matter of time before "The Man" confiscates it. Why not do it right the first time and avoid all of the bull sh#@ that would follow with a deck that does not comply with state regs?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 13, 07 10:50 am     Reply with quote

It will have Trex as the sliding surface. I read it the same way as Tekko. We can just seal the wood.

BTW, it's not a slider it's a stage for performance arts and photography.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:32 am     Reply with quote

yeah good idea we will just take the thing apart and spend even more money to rebuild it with recycled material. In my opinion you all need to stop worrying about this and let the people putting all the time, and effort into building it, worry about it. You telling us that we cant get a permit because of treated wood really doesnt do sh*** for us. So unless one of you wants to help us try and get a permit, you should just close your mouths, unless asked to open them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Wow, dude, calm down! Jim just said to PM him for help.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:00 am     Reply with quote

PLACE THE CORDLESS DRILL ON THE GROUND AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY!!

We are not trying to piss on your parade or discourage you from putting a slider in the river. I would love to see a slider or cool kicker down there.

BUT, you must understand that this issue is a little bit bigger than the wants and needs of your friends and it is exactly why there are soo many rules about what can and can't be done in the river. I mean, what do you think the river would look like if everyone and anyone could build, place, drop or tie off anything they pleased in the water?? It would look like the beverly hillbillies is what it would look like.

You need permits for this kind of thing because it has the potential to do damage to the environment. I'm sorry that the fact that treated wood is hella toxic "doesn't do shit for you". If you think for a second that DEQ and all the other stakeholders took the time to write, review, and establish restrictions on treated wood just for the hell of it, your way way wrong.

I'm sorry that it is such a difficult process, I really am. the law wasn't written to regulate "sliders" but rather industrial, commercial, and substantial private projects. Everyone wants the salmon to come back and the rivers to be clean...until it effects them.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
yeah good idea we will just take the thing apart and spend even more money to rebuild it with recycled material. In my opinion you all need to stop worrying about this and let the people putting all the time, and effort into building it, worry about it. You telling us that we cant get a permit because of treated wood really doesnt do sh*** for us. So unless one of you wants to help us try and get a permit, you should just close your mouths, unless asked to open them.

I'll chime in since I am an investor on this project. I have been silent up until this point, but feel I should speak up. First off my intention to contribute financially was not so I could use the slider, I hardly kite at the sandbar. It was more for showing my support to the local kite community in Hood river. While I don't think it should be dismantled and built with the appropriate material, there should be options that can provide a solution for this current problem. Being someone with lack of experience with permit requirements and can't say I would have caught this as a problem intially, unless the permit explained it. I would think that if a permit was applied for, it would have been in our best interest to provide information to the permit office of our intentions of the design.
I appreciate the efforts put towards the construction and it looks like a very well constructed design. I just wish the process was communicated a little bit more detailed to at least those who supported it financially.
I can respect the frustration everyone is going through, just move on and try and resolve the issues so this can materialize soon.

stringy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:14 am     Reply with quote

Stringy,
nice post. I was also only trying to be helpfull in myown little sarcastic and self absorbed way.

The big thing with PT is abrasion. I would contact Jim since he is already working with DSL. Relationships are half the battle in the permit game.

You have to stress that it is temporary and that the PT wood will not be exposed to friction or other forces that would cause it to chip, crack or peel. You will probably want to show how it is going to be anchored, a simple deadman in the sand would likely work.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Next time build it out of aluminum. stronger, lighter, probably cheaper these days, doesn't float, and non toxic.

Smile

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:29 am     Reply with quote

I would be very hard to launch it on the sly with all the talk about it on a forum Wink

I hope all goes well. I can't wait to photograph you guys on it since I don't have the balls to hit it Shocked Shocked Shocked

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:36 am     Reply with quote

I think there's a polite/helpful way to go about making suggestions and a piss on the parade way. Please be considerate of the folks that are putting money and sweat equity into this project. You can use PM's and emails, everything doesn't need to be on the public forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: