Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 12, 07 12:57 pm    Lessons? Reply with quote

I am new to kiteboarding, done a bit of landboarding on a 5m, and decided last year to get into kiteboarding. I picked up a few kites late last year for cheap and an old board as well. I have asked a few people and they say to definately take a lesson but when I called one place they said with all the "new" technology of the bow kites and such that you could safely teach yourself. Is this the case? And if so is it worth trying to scrape up the money for a newer kite?

I am fairly good at controling the 5m but havent ever been behind a larger kite. Any recommendations on where to get a few lesson?

Thanks.

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

get lessons save your self from the pain and with bow kites/sle it is hard to tune them and some over fly alot others dont but if you are going to learn on your own use a 9m sle of a 7

skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

I was planning on trying to learn at sauvies so I currently have a 13 and a 17m, are these going to be a pain to learn on?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:05 pm    Re: Lessons? Reply with quote

skeet0230 wrote:
I called one place they said with all the "new" technology of the bow kites and such that you could safely teach yourself.

What place did you call?

skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

All Surf Industry

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I called one place they said with all the "new" technology of the bow kites and such that you could safely teach yourself.

Who ever told you that was dumb Evil or Very Mad Take lessons so you dont hurt your self or anyone else. They are worth the $$

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Sad Dude, if you value your life and the lives of people around you... Take lessons.

If is a money thing we can go on and on about how much money you'll save in broken gear and hospital bills if you take lessons.

skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks for the advice. Anyone have any recommendations on who to get them from?

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Check out this post for lessons

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4752.html

skeet0230

Since 12 Jun 2007
19 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Jun 12, 07 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

Great thanks!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 12, 07 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

I'd get the name of whoever from ASI told you that (about not needing lessons.) I'd say its part of the shop's responsibility to make sure kiters understand the dangers of kiteboarding and take lessons. There is no such thing as safe self instruction in this sport.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostTue Jun 12, 07 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I was told the same thing a couple of months ago from ASI. Luckily I didn't listen to them and went to Gorge Performance for a 2nd opinion and they were able to talk some sense into me. Dude - the lessons were worth every penny I paid. I went through Big Wind in HR, they were spendy but I would do it again in a second. Do the lessons and if you want to save some money, fly a trainer kite for some time to get those skills down first, you will most likely progress faster once you hit the water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: