Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Question about lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostWed Apr 06, 05 6:26 pm    Question about lessons Reply with quote

Neccessary??? ....right

I don't want to be that newbie that get's another beach banned but I'm finding it tuff to set aside money on lessons rather than equipment.

Does anyone know of a shop that credits an equipment purchase with what you spent on lessons? I know of one in San Fran.

Is there anyone that provides lessons but not the equipment (saving on the equipment rental)?

I only have so much money and I can't afford to take lessons somewhere and have it be a waste of time. I have spoken with some who felt that certain instructors just wasted their time and money.

I have flown a trainer kite for almost a year and have the Complete Kiteboarding guide and Boost I & II memorized.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most effective way to get started?

I know it takes some folks longer than others, no one's coordination is the same, but can anyone tell me on average how many hours of lessons it takes before one becomes proficient enough to leave the nest..so to say?

- Craig

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 06, 05 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Craig -
Thanks for being a responsible kiter!

Your best bet for instruction is to find someone who does open water instruction with a Jet Ski... I know there are a few schools that do this, but the one I'd recommend is at Floras Lake in Southern Oregon:

http://www.floraslake.com/kite.htm

Will is a great instructor and always seems give a fair deal on lessons. Just give him a call and pick a good weekend to go down there. With good trainer kite experience and commitment, I'm sure you'd be good enough to go out on your own after a weekend.

Another good thing that can help if you can arrange it is wakeboarding. Kiteboarding is esentially wakeboarding while flying a kite, so if you can get both down (practice with the trainer) you will be way ahead of the game when you start your lessons.

As for gear, I'd say when your starting its best to go with used gear. Your first kite you are bound to slam around and do things that in a couple years you will cringe at. Go with a used kite and board so you won't hate yourself later. There are some good deals on used gear in the Classifieds section, or you can check IWindsurf.com.

Good luck! Wave

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 06, 05 10:58 pm    Floras Lake, Sand Bar in HR or Seaside Reply with quote

Craig: Three options I can suggest: Floras Lake, Sand Bar, seaside (I'm pretty sure Gorge Preformance in PDX sets up lessons with a B&B down there).

The thing about learning this awesome sport is that it takes some conditioning with respect to certain muscles that ones doesn't typically use unless they are kiteboarding ie abs and core, forearms, shoulders and some hip muscles (walking back up wind) and if you are learning you will be walking. That being said, if you want to get on the fast track, lessons with a jet ski will save you lots of energy and preserve your coordination for time on the water riding and flying your kite instead of flogging in the water trying to relaunch your kite and or walking back up wind to your launch site. When learning, one typically gets blown downwind due to lack of skill/tech etc. . .That is just the way it is.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Apr 07, 05 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Craig, I am prabably one of the few who will say that taking a lesson "from a certified instructor" is not necessarily necessary. You have the most important first ingredient...common sense. The mags and the inet are full of all the facts and info you need to stay safe. Just use good judgement and be patient. I did a lot of flying on land before I even tried to go out on the water. The coast is best for this. Check out www.summerinseaside.com. Tony can hook you up with lessons, or just good advice and direction. As for gear...buy my X2's please! Smile See classified section.

See ya out there..

PostThu Apr 07, 05 7:31 am     Reply with quote

One more local option that is water based...

http://www.kiteboardoregon.com/

PostThu Apr 07, 05 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks allot for the replies and advice. I will try to get in touch with the folks down at Floras Lake. I was planning on going there towards the end of summer but I don't think I want to wait that long.

Does anyone know what the best time/season for consistant winds at Floras? It would be an awful long drive to end up getting skunked.

Thanks,

Craig

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Apr 07, 05 8:30 am     Reply with quote

For South OR coast you probably going to get wind May-Aug, however, getting "reverse-skunked" is a distict possibility. I mean getting nuked by 40knots-plus. That's why I recommend Seaside...shorter drive, gentler winds.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 07, 05 9:31 am     Reply with quote

It is a long drive to Flora's but well worth it. Will is a great instructor, give him a call. Very Happy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 07, 05 9:40 am    Go for used gear Reply with quote

The one thing I wish I had done when learning was purchased a quiver of kites instead of piece-mealing purchases throughout a summer season. This cost me a summer of little to no riding because I only had 1 12m kite. Nothing worse than driving a long time, getting to the launch site and watching others on the h20 because u are either under powdered or over powered. Ask yourself what your time is worth.

Wind Slither is selling a quiver of kites that are all the same, complete (bar, lines, bags and pump) for a great price. Nice thing about having all one make of kite is that their tendancies flying, rigging etc will all be similar. Also, the sizes are perfect for this region and Naish has the best customer service in the industry. There is another brand out there that is flooding the market because they use no regional retailers and Fed ex everything. Well this great when the stuff works, but lots of down time when it doesn't.

I own an 8, 12, 16 and 19m kites, and with two sets of bar and lines (27m and 20m) I can kite pretty much ride anywhere. Any winds below my 8m, I really don't care to ride. general school of thought is that 3 meters of line equates to 1 m of kite size. And shorter lines are better in some situations like riding waves where one wants faster reaction time from the kite.

There also is a GTO board for sale for $250 in the classifieds. This is a great board size because its not too big or too small. And an awesome price. Don't worry about the dings unless you plan on posing on the beach and care about what your board looks like (function over form/presentation). Sometimes beginners purchase monster boards (175 to 185), but quickly grow out of them due to acquired skills etc . . .

Basics of board size: smaller the board, more edge control but ones gives up buoyancy. The reverse is true for bigger boards. Smaller boards are better/easier to ride in stronger winds and the reverse is true for bigger boards.

I own this very same board, but its called the ONO and its has a sliight off stance and alittle different fin configuration with 2 extra mid-fins. Its design is more for wave riding. I love it.

Good luck with your decisions.

Smile

PostThu Apr 07, 05 11:17 am     Reply with quote

May-Sep the forecasts on iwindsurf are pretty good for southern oregon coast. the iwindsurf summer forecasts come in three flavors

--> anything other then NW = skunk

--> NW but light = good kiting in the afternoon (really best forecast)

--> NW and moderate or strong = reverse skunk in the afternoon, but probably good riding earlier in day

skunking is pretty avoidable with proper study and planning. but if you " lock in" your trip far in advance you are rolling the dice. the dirty secret of the coast is that it doesn't blow as many days in the summer as the gorge (sad but true fact, just check out iwindsurf's archives)

oregon coast is a great place to kite, providing you are flexible enough to decide at the last minute whether or not to go.

floras is a pretty amazing place, you should go there at some point, but i'd hate to see your kiting life postponed until you can make such a long trip when there is after work kiting right near home.

PostThu Apr 07, 05 11:47 am     Reply with quote

those best kites work great, if they sell you a blem (unlikely) they'll replace it no questions asked. you can buy em at bigwinds in the gorge if you have a fedex allergy. 3 kites and a bar covers 90% of fun wind, eventually you may get 4 kites but not really rqd.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostFri Apr 08, 05 9:29 am    Re: Question about lessons Reply with quote

CraigMc wrote:
Neccessary??? ....right

I only have so much money and I can't afford to take lessons somewhere and have it be a waste of time. I have spoken with some who felt that certain instructors just wasted their time and money.

I have flown a trainer kite for almost a year and have the Complete Kiteboarding guide and Boost I & II memorized.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the most effective way to get started?

- Craig

Take lessons first, that way you can use/trash their lesson gear, figure out if you really really want to do this sport (which I'm sure you will if you've gone this far), and get an idea what gear you like.

In hind sight if lessons were an option when I started kiting in 2000 I would have saved a ton of $$ that I wasted on gear figuring what worked for me. I self taught, watched How to Rip a dozen times, spent almost $2000 on a AR3.5 and a F1 directional, split my kite in half the 4th time I used it, then realized the gear I bought wasn't what I wanted (OK there weren't alot of choices back then), sold all that stuff for a fraction of what I spent on it, bought some other kites (foils that I could trash), figured out how to kite, then realized I still didn't have the kites I wanted, sold my kites again taking a big $$ hit, bought X2's and thought F#ck Yea this is what it's about!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Apr 08, 05 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Whoa...Mike...you and I have been on the same path. Except for the foils, we pretty much were in tandem right down to the How to Rip Video.

I just got Torches this year after 2 seasons on the X2s. Interesting change and I love them so far.

Go Naish.

PostSat Apr 09, 05 7:11 am     Reply with quote

If you have the boost videos memorized and are flying a trainer for a year maybe you should be giving lessons. Go to floras lake.Buy use 04 or 05 gear or go best or windwing new. for the same price.

PostSat Apr 09, 05 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

those windwings might be the call, since they have a built in relaunch system. best kites are spot on if you don't mind the old school relaunch or fifth line.

buy used if you like how kites look after they've spent a summer (or two) inflated and flapping on the beach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: