Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Very Interesting Post RE Spit Clean-up from iwindsurf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri May 18, 07 12:25 pm    Very Interesting Post RE Spit Clean-up from iwindsurf Reply with quote

Think HIGH AND DRY = Sandbar Clean up

Smart thinkers will NOT BURN sandbar wood!

These are the things responsible for delivering 30+ acres of new shoreline!

Like snow fences…Hall and position them way down wind constructing strands that will stabilize the sand.

Arrangement them across the wind and high water currents - in sets of parallel snow fences - offset distances should be reflective of large bays that will result.

Resultant wind blown lea side SAND DRIFTS will maintain a High and Dry paths (even when the water level is high).

Large warm shallow water bays will form

More SHORE LINE = MORE PLAY BAYS will be created.

BE WISE…Nature will work with you

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostFri May 18, 07 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

wtf? nonsense, we're burning it all!

we have to get rid of it and letting it drift down the river is not an option in my opinion because it might get stuck on the west end of wells island in the shallow water where i like to go play (usually alone) and i dont want that stuff up there, it could seriously kill me if i ever got impaled up there by myself. i know this reason is in and of itself selfish, but there are also lots of other reasons to not let it drift down river.

I also dont think just leaving all the wood & debris piled up somewhere on the sandbar is an option either, because it will eventually get moved by mother nature and/or taken down the river. so burn it all i say!

obviously they've missed our point of safety and removing all the dangerous things downwind of people launching kites.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostFri May 18, 07 12:49 pm    Burn the house down Reply with quote

There is too much crap in the river as it is.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri May 18, 07 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Why can't you just stack it somewhere ? Do you HAVE to burn it? Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more to pound beers and build a freaking huge fire but do remember two things.

1. The last thing the world need is more people burning wood
2. Will there be any public outcry from a huge fire and rolling smoke coming from the sandbar on a saturday?

I really wish I could be there but like most things fun, I'm not capable of it right now.

Sad

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostFri May 18, 07 1:52 pm    the sandbar has been on fire before Reply with quote

It won't be the first fire on the spit, the port has caught it on fire during 4th of July in the past.

Burning wood is bad? I guess us hicks in the hood are going to destroy the planet.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri May 18, 07 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

I think it would be nice to fortify the sand so it stays around for a long time, but today is a little late to discuss this.

We also don't have anyone with expertise in fortifying river deltas. Do we?

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 18, 07 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

These decisions were made months ago. We've been posting the same consistant message. The wood is going to be burned and we have ALL of the necessary permits and approvals. The various powers to be are expecting the calls and the answer is quite simple - we are doing this in the name of SAFETY! I think it is great that we have a huge day of productivity planned and supported by all groups!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: