Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What is Lyle like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 13, 07 10:50 am    What is Lyle like? Reply with quote

I've driven by Lyle plenty of days during my WSing days, and always wondered. Seems like a mostly kiting place. Is it also known as Kicktat speed run?

It looks like a bit of a hike down there from the freeway. do you bring all your stuff down or can you leave some of it in the car. Is there a dry spot down there to put your stuff? Is space a premium like stevenson? Are there a lot of scary underwater obstructions?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun May 13, 07 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

I've had really good kiting times at Lyle. The road heading down is for railfoad access. Maybe 2 o3 3 small cars can park on the South side of the road on top but we don't really want parking congestion to cause an issue so I park across the street in the parking lot.

I've never had problems with my car...but then again my kite is worth more. Overall it's a pretty quiet area. Walk on down to the launch and you might have a small sandy beach, or acres to set up. It depends on the water level so space can be a premium at times.

A few key buried landmines are out there but you'll quickly learn where they are. Tie on a milk carton and you'll be king for the day. I keep forgetting but there's an empty in my car so next time.

Overall, very nice cool crowd will be there during the weekdays and another fairly close option if the Spit or Stevenson are mellow.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon May 14, 07 1:25 am     Reply with quote

Lyle is a great spot, just don't park on the railroad access road, make sure you park on the north side of the highway.

Watch out for tree stumps, they're pretty narly.

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon May 14, 07 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Here's Lyle back on July 30 last summer. I'm guessing the place looks a little different today?

Ethan

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 14, 07 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far!

is it a decent beginner spot too?
It seems shallow, but I've not heard of Lyle as a beginner spot before.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon May 14, 07 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

IMO it is one of the best beginner spots because you can walk upwind above the sandbar and work on your water starts and the worse that will happen is you get pushed back into the sandbar, well, ok i guess the worse that could happen is you get lofted and/or tea bagged onto some log or stump then end up on the sandbar, but not if you're using hte right size kite, which more times than not is going to be smaller than what you'd use at the sandspit (altho not always). oh ya, and it is nowhere near as crowded as the sand spit in the summer time, at least in my experience.

I remember when i was first learning, i got below the lyle sandbar trying to water start, crashed my kite, couldn't relaunch it and got pulled across the mouth of hte klickitat and ended up having to walk back on the tracks which is really only about 100 - 150? yards. Teh climb up the hill on the rocks barefoot is what sucked and hurt the most, but it wasn't that bad. i did pull in about 100 pounds of kelp on my lines and decided to cut them because i didn't want to deal with the mess, but after that i found out how much new lines cost Rolling Eyes of coures i dont htink there is very much seaweed below the sandbar this year. ahhh the n00b days, sure dont miss those one bit, but despite my kitemare story, it is really beginner friendly, just stay upwind of the sandbar and watch out for stumps/logs.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 14, 07 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

if you go to lyle as a beginner...please... (I'm saying please)...

Do NOT walk out shoulder deep to start... that's where we are all riding. Stay in shallow (not too shallow where if you crash your kite you hit someone on the beach).

also...

There are a LOT of logs/trees and sticks under the water at lyle... if you're getting drug, or out of control...you'll probably be impaled. Shocked

the sandbar at HR is a lot better for beginners. IMO.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 14, 07 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

does anyone else think that big attractive area couple hundred yards upwind of the sandbar on the washington side is actually in a huge back eddy? i think it sucks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: