Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lessons on Sauvies Island?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eddie

Since 18 Apr 2006
3 Posts

Kook

PostThu May 10, 07 2:20 pm    lessons Reply with quote

DO NOT learn from New Wind. Last time one of my friends got a lesson there, she was crying by the end of the lesson. they're not very nice in my opinion or my friends. Talk to the guys at Gorge Performance in Portland, Steve is way cool. or Kite The Gorge in Hood River, Carlos rocks.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu May 10, 07 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

My Fiance had a wonderful time learning from New Wind. TJ was her teacher and Jim and Cory were awesome as well. I would totally recommend New Wind to anyone.

Andy

KITEADDICT

Since 13 Apr 2006
117 Posts
PDX west side
Stoked

PostThu May 10, 07 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

I have never seen anyone being taught at Stevenson. The launch is not beginer freindly.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu May 10, 07 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

During the summer there's always people being getting lessons at Stevenson. Most of the time it's small kite wind, so I'd see peeps going out on 5m kites and getting a feel, then being picked up in the cemetery... I wouldn't want to learn that way. Definately felt safest at the HR sandbar and Sauvies when I first started.

job8brain

Since 08 May 2007
5 Posts
Beaverton
Kook

PostFri May 11, 07 6:43 am     Reply with quote

No, I dont work for a cellular store. I have a cell phone if that counts Smile

Actually, right now I am in a "transition" the company I worked for got bought and I am getting paid to do nothing right now.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostFri May 11, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

If you are in transition and getting paid to do nothing right now...

Get out of the NW to learn to kite! There are far better places to learn, much quicker, allowing you to come back after a week or 2 with skills that would take most of the summer, and many long swims to figure out here.

If it were me I'd book the next flight to Cape Hatteras and spend a couple days with any of the schools or instructors there, then hone it in with a few days on your own.

If not Cape Hatteras, SPI / Corpus TX is a good bet and still firing this time of year. Learn to ride warm, where you can stand and it will happen a lot easier.

Come back ready to rock the Gorge and coast all summer, rather than spend all summer figuring it out.

Don't get me wrong.. there are many great local options for learning to kite... but if you have the time and $ there are easier, quicker ways.

Just my $ .02

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun May 13, 07 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

Floras Lake is another great option with camping on the lake and great instruction. It's a 5 hour drive from PDX.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: