Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Does/Can the SS Machine JUMP?!?!
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 30, 05 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Alrighty guys lets keep it civil, after all it's all about kiting.

If the guest posting thing becomes a way to flame without revealing yourself, then I can make it so you have to login first.

As far as the machine goes, I am sure its a great kite, but as usual take hype claims with a grain of salt. I think the days of drastic improvement are over, and now we just see steady refinement. That's just my opinion though...

If you really want the ultimate light wind weapon, get a skimboard. You'll be planning and upwind while others are just standing around, the challenge of riding it will keep things interesting in the lightest winds, and it only costs a couple hundred bucks!

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 30, 05 1:56 pm    Fight!!! Reply with quote

Ah Dax... No fun man... Let'em at each other like dogs... Plus, I am busted up, bored at work, and need some good entertainment...

Bammer... out!

Plus, here is a better weapon of choice!!!

post.jpg 

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 05 2:44 pm    Re: Fight!!! Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
Ah Dax... No fun man... Let'em at each other like dogs... Plus, I am busted up, bored at work, and need some good entertainment...

Bammer... out!

Plus, here is a better weapon of choice!!!

Whatever!

It looks like I'll be looking down on you on my r5 18m! Razz

When are you getting a big Raven?

jp

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 05 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Ooops yeah... meant subjective... Forgot my coffee before that cross-eyed definition flub. Ha, right... not about to enough to spend that much money on something to "mow grass" when I should be out mountain biking or kayaking...

Still JP... You should know that people asking for subjective bullshit on the "other" Forums rarely get real informative answers and it just leads to brand bashing. You thinking about "wasting" all that money on a kite... No wait, Seattle/Urban Surf rumor has it your a North guy now, so why are you even bothering?

1) What a wonderful tactic you employ, call one out while you hide. Nice!

2) So Doyle’s comments should be considered as subjective bullshit?

3) What I chose to ride isn't relevant to the question at hand and further as I’ve recently displayed, I’m willing to change brands for PREFORMANCE and could see myself doing the same thing in the future should North lose their edge however, I don’t see that happening future.

The question, who’s intent is to draw out some 411 out on it’s the Machines jumping ability, plain and simple, no more, no less.

I thoroughly understand how those near a high wind Mecca could careless about big kite, light wind riding, however, speaking for those who live outside that unique area, the rest of the WORLD has a lot of opportunity on a regular basis to ride in the 10-15 mph range. Performance, such as, but not limited to upwind planning, jumping etc. is near and dear to our passion for the sport.

While this MAY seem completely unbelievable be to those of you who consider 12m to be big kite, it’s the reality for larger percentage of the kiting community and for the health growth of the sport on a whole

So, how about you get over yourself and take the question at face value.

Does it excel at:
1) wake style jumps
2) Old school “pull the trigger”
3) None of the above

Cheers,

jp

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 30, 05 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

Hey JP,

I gotta 16m Raven on order (mid-April... fingers crossed), but unfortunately I think the knee is going to be the limiting factor... Yeah, probably Ravens in the larger sizes and Torchs for lit up wave ripping... Oooh, also just got the new 132cm 05 Thorn... Badass looking board and has true concave/and channels with a laminate construction. Very very expensive and I don't think Northsports is planning on bringing a ton of them into the States. Sounds like Ben Meyer is in love and plans to marry his 05 Thorn.

Keeping dreaming man, unless you have shrunk your frame... or I go porky pig, which ain't gonna happen... the only way your gonna sky on me is if you happen to kite with me in the next 2 months while I am forced to mow some grass due to the knee...

See you soon out kiting man, Bam... out!

Last edited by bambam on Wed Mar 30, 05 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 05 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
Hey JP,

Keeping dreaming man, unless you have lost lots of weight... or I go porky pig, which ain't gonna happen... the only way your gonna sky on me is if you happen to kite with me in the next 2 months while I am forced to mow some grass due to the knee...

See you soon out kiting man, Bam... out!

Yo Bammer,

You’re not suggesting a Torch is going to jump as high as R5?????????????????????
Bammer, are you abusing your post surgery medication?

I have nothing but positive credit to give Naish for actually representing their’s kites performance and based on their description the Torch is not optimized for jumping.

So yes, if you're on your big Torch and I'm on my big r5 my fat ass will be flying over you!! Razz

“unless you have lost lots of weight...”
Come now, play nicely besides being 200 lbs is hardly that heavy and further jumping big is about the performance of the kite, their board and a riders technique not their weight.

Have you forgotten to 40-50 footers Shannon B, another heavy weight, was throwing down at the gorge game?

cheers,

jp

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 30, 05 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

Raven man... Raven in the larger sizes... Technique being the same... small dude wins... Weight is the wrong word... I changed it to "frame" since your definitely not over-weight, just one larger than me dude!

But yeah, I flew that R5 in Baja! Such a nooiiicceeee kite!

Like to see that your working about as hard as I am today. Hey Dax, thanks for the fun on-line toy!

Bam, bam bam

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 30, 05 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

bam that board sounds pretty sweet, are you allowed to post pictures of it?

PostWed Mar 30, 05 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the days of drastic improvement are over, and now we just see steady refinement.

Just wait then,
There are some things coming down the pipe that will be totally different.
From what I hear, you'll be riding a 12m instead of a 16 in a year, and it won't look like what we;re flying now.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 30, 05 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
I think the days of drastic improvement are over, and now we just see steady refinement.

Just wait then,
There are some things coming down the pipe that will be totally different.
From what I hear, you'll be riding a 12m instead of a 16 in a year, and it won't look like what we;re flying now.

Well that would be something, but its also been said before. I'm always hopeful for new breakthroughs, but I also won't hold my breath until I've seen proof with my own eyes.

My guess is there will always be tradeoffs... right now we are headed towards bridles with 5th lines and what not, but more lines means more complexity. Maybe new breakthroughs can be made with materials and building techniques, but that might mean more cost.

Hopefully they can figure it out though, I'd love to be powered in sub 10mph winds. Thumb's Up

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 31, 05 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Hopefully they can figure it out though, I'd love to be powered in sub 10mph winds. Thumb's Up

As long as we're wishing, I'd love to be boosting big in 10mph!

Thumb's Up

jp

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Apr 01, 05 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmmm, must kite soon...

post.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: