Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wintler Park Is Awesome!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 19, 22 6:39 pm    Wintler Park Is Awesome!! Reply with quote

Wintler in Vancouver was awesome today!!! There were some kiters across the river at the PDX launch, but no one at Wintler. I launched after everyone at PDX landed, the wind was probably the best I've seen here. There's a huge beach here, and on winds with any south in them, Wintler is superior to PDX. I hate kiting alone in the winter, so come check out Wintler!!!

kitnasty

Since 14 Aug 2020
12 Posts

PostSat Nov 19, 22 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

This is just 17 min from my house! Didn't realize there was even a launch there with a possibility to kite so close to PDX. Definitely gonna check it out!

South winds you say...Is it better east or west?

https://www.kingwithoutacompass.com/

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 19, 22 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

kitnasty wrote:
This is just 17 min from my house! Didn't realize there was even a launch there with a possibility to kite so close to PDX. Definitely gonna check it out!

South winds you say...Is it better east or west?

If there's any North in the wind, the Wintler launch sucks. But if there's any South in the wind, you get a great fetch with nice steady wind at the water line. What's nice is that you can drop your kite into a total wind shadow that exists at the north side of the beach. Big beach, great parking. ESE to SE to SSE works great at Wintler. West winds that work are extremely rare. Check PDX for wind conditions, and Weather Underground for multiple wind sensors that show direction. If it's E to NE, use the PDX launch.

Rightcoast

Since 27 Mar 2019
33 Posts
ELI

PostSun Nov 20, 22 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Like the trax ,looks a lot like what I do

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Nov 21, 22 8:50 am    Wintler Reply with quote

Nak, I was out on a sailboat and was trying to get a photo of you with Hood in the background but you quickly went downwind of me so I missed the opportunity.

The wind was very steady for easterlies!! Was a great day on the water!!

(assume you were the one out on the SS Kite foiling)

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 21, 22 12:19 pm    Re: Wintler Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
Nak, I was out on a sailboat and was trying to get a photo of you with Hood in the background but you quickly went downwind of me so I missed the opportunity.

The wind was very steady for easterlies!! Was a great day on the water!!

(assume you were the one out on the SS Kite foiling)

Dang! I wish I would have noticed the camera! LOL. That would have been a great shot. Yeah, I was flying an Orange & Black UFo and wearing a Kokatat drysuit + a yellow Gath helmet.

The wind was probably the steadiest easterlies I've ridden, very nice! Usually it's more like riding a bucking bronco with the gusts there!

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostTue Nov 22, 22 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Try it on a southerly and you will quickly know FIGHT CLUB!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: