Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Essential Snowkite gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Oct 24, 22 6:02 pm    Essential Snowkite gear Reply with quote

Older dog. new trick: Snow kiting on skis.

Got some Ozone Sub Zero Kites, bars and their harness.
Have a couple size skis with touring bindings.
All wheel drive van with heat.

What other essential gear do I need?

Thanks,
Hein

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Oct 24, 22 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

the hardest thing to find around here is a spot to go with flat-ish ground, steady-ish winds and a sufficient snowpack.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Oct 24, 22 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

Plan is to drive east to ID or some other place with more reliable conditions.

All the best,
Hein

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
260 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 26, 22 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you're pretty dialed in. I used a climbing harness last year rather than a waist harness and it was infinitely more comfortable. Ski jackets are usually pretty slippery. Climbing harness fit over my ski clothes too. An over sized seat harness would work better probably. Looking at your post again, it sounds like maybe you have the Ozone Snowkite harness, in which case, even better.

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 26, 22 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Glove warmers. Get a 10x pack. Place them on the top of your inner glove to give you the heat you need when you grip it for 6 hours of riding.

SnowShoes. Helps when you need to rig up. Be the one that walks on water while others sink...

Easy to reach hot food and drink.

Goggle Lens for all occasions

Sunscreen for both face and lips.

Firewood if you want a nice warming pit while you wait for wind.

Two pairs of everything. One is drying the other is riding.

Cold WAX or Warm Wax but wax that shit up!

Check webcams in the area to see what's the real world looks like.

Snowkiting is like a big wave event. You just have to be patience and we have 3 flags. RED/YELLOW/GREEN to sound the horn. Green is 24hr departure anyone not ready in that amount of time misses the bus! Drunk

See you out on the wind lip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFENwsZ4H9I

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Oct 27, 22 7:31 am     Reply with quote

shymac wrote:
Glove warmers. Get a 10x pack. Place them on the top of your inner glove to give you the heat you need when you grip it for 6 hours of riding.

SnowShoes. Helps when you need to rig up. Be the one that walks on water while others sink...

Easy to reach hot food and drink.

Goggle Lens for all occasions

Sunscreen for both face and lips.

Firewood if you want a nice warming pit while you wait for wind.

Two pairs of everything. One is drying the other is riding.

Cold WAX or Warm Wax but wax that shit up!

Check webcams in the area to see what's the real world looks like.

Snowkiting is like a big wave event. You just have to be patience and we have 3 flags. RED/YELLOW/GREEN to sound the horn. Green is 24hr departure anyone not ready in that amount of time misses the bus! Drunk

See you out on the wind lip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFENwsZ4H9I

AWESOME POST and advice!!!

So perhaps from genetics or decades of skiing, or both, but I get really cold hands. I've only had the chance to snowkite a handful of times. When it is snowing (especially when it is close to 32*) my hands get compromised. They get compromised really anytime I have then out of my gloves. But when rigging up, I have to take my gloves off to rig the lines. Wet snow is the worst because my hands get wet and cold and I then have to put the gloves back on. Cumbersome, but I've come up with a workaround. . .have a thermoflask (big one) full of very hot water. I also have a rubber hot or cold pack/bottle. I fill the rubber hot pack and warm my hands up. It works great!!! I came up with this idea during the 2nd ski season during CV-19 as one had to go to the car to eat or warmup during the day when skiing or snowboarding. When finished with the hot water rubber bottle, I place it between my folded Pendleton wool blanket to retain its heat. If too cool, I dump out the cool water and replace with boiling water. This would work well with any of you cold water enthusiasts who like to ride out at Rooster, Stevie, or Viento on the east winds or any other cold spot.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Oct 27, 22 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the great posts and ideas.

I have been skiing in recent years but
may need to get back on a snowboard.

Looks like I will have to get down to see
Pepi to finish the gear up process.

All the best,
Hein

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 27, 22 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

I messaged Hein but probably should have just posted here.

This summer a friend arranged a private surf camp from Jennie Milton. In addition to being an all around rad person, Jennnie does a bunch of snow kiting in Island Park Idaho near Big Sky. She would be the perfect person to reach out to for possible snow kite camps or instruction. She was really fun, safe, and knowledgeable. She travels between Oregon, Montana, Alaska, and Australia for every flavor of kiting.

Jennie Milton

jen
@
adrenajen.com
(Posted weird just in case it stops some bot from harvesting her email.)

Here is a link to an Instagram post. I can’t figure out how to link a whole profile but you can look through her whole feed/profile - Adrenajen. https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce88VFeLxzD/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 28, 22 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

+1 for coaching from Jennie.
It literally take 10 seconds to learn to snowkite if you already know how to kite and ski...
I spent a few hours with Jen in Island Park to learn how to self launch and land the Ozone foil kites. Lots of good tips and tricks.

IWantToFly wrote:
I messaged Hein but probably should have just posted here.

This summer a friend arranged a private surf camp from Jennie Milton. In addition to being an all around rad person, Jennnie does a bunch of snow kiting in Island Park Idaho near Big Sky. She would be the perfect person to reach out to for possible snow kite camps or instruction. She was really fun, safe, and knowledgeable. She travels between Oregon, Montana, Alaska, and Australia for every flavor of kiting.

Jennie Milton

jen
@
adrenajen.com
(Posted weird just in case it stops some bot from harvesting her email.)

Here is a link to an Instagram post. I can’t figure out how to link a whole profile but you can look through her whole feed/profile - Adrenajen. https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce88VFeLxzD/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Oct 28, 22 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

skins for your skis if the wind dies far from home...

snow shoes to set up if you go snowboard route

helmet and thin pullover liner

a plan to keep your phone warm and charged - in case you need it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 29, 22 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

hey hein, I spent a few years chasing wind up at MSH and simcoes. I used a timbersled to get to the fields. in addition to a toolkit for my sled, I packed some emergency items like waterproof matches, leatherman with saw, shovel, probe and transponder.
these were essential for backcountry but for just snowkiting, I always carried my Garmin inReach and also my garmin rino with walkie talkie capability.
A one piece snow suit is bomber for keeping you warm and dry.
I liked a full face helmet with goggles.
I used the ozone snow kite harness which is very similiar to a climbing harness.
for gloves, I found the glacier gloves to work best. I use them for winter water kiting and they work real good for snow kiting as well. pepi has these in his shop.
if you're on semi flat ground you should make yourself a snowskate. not the best for hills (use a leash!) but for places like the HR sandbar, its super fun.

Here's a couple of pics from year's past to get you pumped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: