Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River forecast and wind sensor
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 04, 22 6:18 am     Reply with quote

Nah, it was terrible there too. Plus it’s too far to drive, plus it’s too crowded, plus the launch is terrible as well. Don’t go to Rufus, ever!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 04, 22 8:33 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Nah, it was terrible there too. Plus it’s too far to drive, plus it’s too crowded, plus the launch is terrible as well. Don’t go to Rufus, ever!

Nobody goes there anymore.... it's too crowded.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 04, 22 11:53 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Nobody goes there anymore.... it's too crowded.

Funny... but true. That was one of the reasons we went elsewhere. Wind wasn't as good, but we had our choice of swell that we didn't have to share.

Last time I kited at Rufus I had to just drop my kite on the shoreline because a bunch of non-locals were too busy rigging their kites to catch. Someone finally went over to hold it in place while I went up to get it but others just seemed annoyed that I might interrupt their kite pumping.

Some of the same people rushing to get out were back in a jiffy complaining that it was too gusty.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 04, 22 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it’s horribly gusty there with those devil winds that also change direction in a blink. Terrible horrible place, stay away. Please….

bfb38

Since 02 Sep 2016
75 Posts

PostSun Sep 04, 22 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

As to sensor accuracy, here’s Saturday at the hatch. I was instructing on the south side of the river and there were sustained gusts of 40+mph wind throughout the stretch from 1-3pm. Whether the sensors are broken or just not reflective of the conditions on the water is unclear, but this graph doesn’t even begin to express the reality. I weigh 200lbs naked and was getting yanked around on a 4m.

BC60616A-26CA-4E04-A465-D8AB75BA8CB8.png 

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 05, 22 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

and still the swell was poor if at all.. eastern gorge is milfoil, flat water … rufus sucks,

sad but true !

write a song!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: