Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

December kite trip destination within USA
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostMon Aug 29, 22 4:14 pm    December kite trip destination within USA Reply with quote

Hey,

What are the best places within USA to go to for kitesurfing vacation in December? Are any of the southern states still warm enough and reliabily windy? Ideally, I'm looking for some flat-ish water for practicing foiling, but if you tell me there is a place with common 20kt I'll take my twintip with me. Wink

Cheers!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 29, 22 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

Tampa Florida isn’t too bad with numerous different wind direction beaches. Strong winds from the NW when the cold fronts come thru.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 29, 22 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

Puerto Rico. Not a state, but still in the US. Hawaii is great, but you can get skunked if you're only going for a week.

Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostMon Aug 29, 22 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestions. I was thinking of Florida before, but I was not sure about the wind.

Puerto Rico would be interesting, but I'm not sure I can go there. I need to find out. I'm in a green card process and I'm not allowed to leave US while the application is pending... Hence, me not looking at Bonaire or Brazil etc.

CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostTue Aug 30, 22 3:30 am     Reply with quote

Hawaii or Corpus Christi, Tx. Corpus area will have fronts in December that can produce strong winds 25+ knots . Flat water for foiling can also be found depending on wind direction. If there is not a front and the air is still warm normal South East or East wind will blow strong enough to foil and possibly enough to twin tip. If the air temperature is still warm a spring suit can still be worn the first part of December.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 30, 22 11:52 am     Reply with quote

This is where a subscription to Iwindsurf comes in handy.
For each of the sensors - they have thousands - there's a graph that shows year round averages for each one.
December is an iffy month for all sites in North America.
For Tampa it shows 20% of the days in December exceed 20 and 44% exceed 15.
San Padre Island is slightly better with 32% for 20 mph and 64% for 15mph.
Corpus is 30% for 20mph and 57% for 15 mph.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 30, 22 12:29 pm    outerbanks? Reply with quote

Never been and I really have no idea if it would work in December, but what about

the outerbanks in NC?

https://outerbankskiting.com/

Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostTue Aug 30, 22 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for more replies! Definitely some good suggestions. I'll look into them more in detail later today. I have a ikitesurf subscription and it is a good point to check the statistics there.

I was hoping for a bit warmer place than Outer banks and will probably leave it for a visit in a warmer months. Wink

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 30, 22 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Lake Mojave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjziqmMkhQc

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 30, 22 2:54 pm    December Kite Alternative Reply with quote

If you can't travel why not consider just changing your perspective?

I've had some of my best days EVER kiting right here in the Gorge / Rooster in DECEMBER...

New perspective = in a proper DRY SUIT it will be Florida temps on the inside even tho it's witch's nipple COLD on the outside...

Just a thought?

Mc

Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostTue Aug 30, 22 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, I plan on kiting the whole winter here! Wink I typically use a thick wetsuit though. Haven't found a need for a drysuit yet.

I have a bunch of days off to be used in this calendar year, so I want to squeeze in a kite trip to get some spot variety.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 31, 22 11:43 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Lake Mojave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjziqmMkhQc

Shhh... Cool

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Sep 01, 22 12:11 am     Reply with quote

Corpus....Tejas in extreme drought, it’ll be windy!! flat water in laguna, foiling in bay, surf in gulf...cheap.

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostFri Sep 02, 22 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Another vote for Puerto Rico here. Pretty much guaranteed wind in December. Meets all your criteria. Definitely still a part of the USA, but in Spanish.

Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostFri Sep 02, 22 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Thanks! Definitely Puerto Rico is very tempting and I am seriously considering it! How are Florida keys that time of the year?

I need to balance my needs for kitesurfing and wife's approval criteria, which probably crosses out Texas for now. Razz

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Sep 02, 22 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Mundek wrote:
Thanks! Definitely Puerto Rico is very tempting and I am seriously considering it! How are Florida keys that time of the year?

I need to balance my needs for kitesurfing and wife's approval criteria, which probably crosses out Texas for now. Razz

You want your cake and eat it too. The wind-widow dilemma.

Hawaii is always a safe bet for great non-wind activities. Sure, it doesn't have the classic flat water you're looking for. I've only been to Maui once for kiting and it was in late October and I got good/great wind every day and some swell. Head-high a couple of days, but mostly chest high.

Never been to the Florida Keys for kiting, but I think that place has very limited access. I think it is the kind of place that boat access opens a dimension hole and makes it a totally different world when you have that.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostMon Sep 05, 22 9:39 am     Reply with quote

with that moving winter kiting target destination of yours, I’d buy a ski pass and call it good; as long as your honey likes the snow Laughing ....or go to Idaho and snowkite!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: