Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

another one of those foil wing questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 22 7:06 am    another one of those foil wing questions Reply with quote

hey all,

sorry for the long post! Smile

i've been truding through the learning curve of wing foiling. I have the hoverglide with the infinity 76 front wing. i'm doing ok on it. I'm a little over-powered wing-wise, so i struggle with lift (too much) at times (i fluctuate between 145-150 lbs). I'm pretty sure I can tame it with no issue just by adjusting my stance a little, and finish the curve on wing foiling.

My question though is, when I'm rigging up, and looking around, everyone else is one the high aspect wings, like the phantasm 926 (just an example).

I have a few questions
1. what is the main difference in these? Is it glide, lift? What do you give up moving from a wing like the 76, to the 926? what do you gain?

2. I have a (heavier) friend that is learning with me. He is struggling to get up on foil, and blames the front wing being too small (he's about 180-190 I'd guess). He has the infinity 99. We were wondering if we did a quick wing swap on his turn (we are taking turns looping from the park to event site), if that would ease his learning curve.

3. ultimately, i am wanting to travel with this wing a bit. What is the weight difference (approximate of course) between the hoverglide setup (aluminum mast and fuse), and a full carbon setup like the phantasm (just for example). I know the mast length will make a bit of a difference, but if we went apples to apples on length, what savings could I gain? If it is considerable, my eventual plan is to go small board and carbon setup for wing (to travel), and keep the hoverglide for sup foiling in the fall/spring.

4. last question, unrelated to the first 3, but what the heck. I have the slingwing v2 5.4 right now, and as you all said, being over powered is good. It is really a great size for me so far. But sometimes, out in the middle of the river, a gust pulls me right up and out of the water (not trying to jump yet). So I'm wondering, for a 2 wing quiver, if you guys (and girls), might have a good suggestion for wing #2. I am seeing pretty large guys out on 3.5 wings, when i'm out on my 5.4. I'm very happy with the slingwing, so was thinking another would keep me on similar ground. I had been looking at a V2 4.0, and a V3, either 3.5 or 4.0. Both of the V3's overlap my V2. I'm not interested in going out in nuke conditions, but i'd like to not get blown off the water if i'm already out. I know that smaller wings are easier to handle as well. Any preferences there?

thanks in advance!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 22 5:38 pm    Re: another one of those foil wing questions Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
hey all,

sorry for the long post! Smile

i've been truding through the learning curve of wing foiling. I have the hoverglide with the infinity 76 front wing. i'm doing ok on it. I'm a little over-powered wing-wise, so i struggle with lift (too much) at times (i fluctuate between 145-150 lbs). I'm pretty sure I can tame it with no issue just by adjusting my stance a little, and finish the curve on wing foiling.

My question though is, when I'm rigging up, and looking around, everyone else is one the high aspect wings, like the phantasm 926 (just an example).

I have a few questions
1. what is the main difference in these? Is it glide, lift? What do you give up moving from a wing like the 76, to the 926? what do you gain?
HA foils are much faster and more glide and less forgiving. You need good foil skills to take advantage. You should be able to carve around to toeside and/or switch feet in the air before switching to HA foils. When you're winging up to the red buoy above Wells Island and start riding swell on toeside and heelside you can consider HA foils.

2. I have a (heavier) friend that is learning with me. He is struggling to get up on foil, and blames the front wing being too small (he's about 180-190 I'd guess). He has the infinity 99. We were wondering if we did a quick wing swap on his turn (we are taking turns looping from the park to event site), if that would ease his learning curve.
More specifics? Can he stand up? Does he pump the wing? Has he foiled on kite or have windsurfing background? Once he stands up - can he turn the board across the wind or does he go straight downwind? Has he taken a lesson? If I understand your question - you guys are sharing the same size hand wing? There's no way you should be on the same size hand wing. He needs a meter larger than you.

3. ultimately, i am wanting to travel with this wing a bit. What is the weight difference (approximate of course) between the hoverglide setup (aluminum mast and fuse), and a full carbon setup like the phantasm (just for example). I know the mast length will make a bit of a difference, but if we went apples to apples on length, what savings could I gain? If it is considerable, my eventual plan is to go small board and carbon setup for wing (to travel), and keep the hoverglide for sup foiling in the fall/spring.
All carbon is not equal. Go to the shops with a small scale. If you want to realize real weight savings - you'll need to spend big $$$. If you spend $2,000 on a good carbon setup with a 75cm mast expect to save 5-7pounds.

4. last question, unrelated to the first 3, but what the heck. I have the slingwing v2 5.4 right now, and as you all said, being over powered is good. It is really a great size for me so far. But sometimes, out in the middle of the river, a gust pulls me right up and out of the water (not trying to jump yet). So I'm wondering, for a 2 wing quiver, if you guys (and girls), might have a good suggestion for wing #2. I am seeing pretty large guys out on 3.5 wings, when i'm out on my 5.4. I'm very happy with the slingwing, so was thinking another would keep me on similar ground. I had been looking at a V2 4.0, and a V3, either 3.5 or 4.0. Both of the V3's overlap my V2. I'm not interested in going out in nuke conditions, but i'd like to not get blown off the water if i'm already out. I know that smaller wings are easier to handle as well. Any preferences there?
Are you 100% dedicated to winging and no longer kite on the really windy days? If so you'll want a 3 and a 4. If you still kite on the big days - get a 4.

thanks in advance!

nkoe

Since 28 Oct 2010
15 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Aug 17, 22 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like I am just a bit ahead of you on the progression curve. I am 185lb, so my first primary foil was the Infinity 99 and really appreciated how easy it was to get up on foil as it definitely optimizes lift. I have spent a reasonable amount of time on the Infinity 76 and would characterize it as just the smaller brother. It never gave me the lift I think I needed at the earliest stages, but I feel pretty comfortable on it now.

For me, the biggest difference of transitioning to the 926 was the reduced drag. It took me one or two sessions to learn how to be more gradual about bringing it up onto foil (using my i99 technique would just stall it out), but once there, amazing! I still pack around the i99 thinking there will be a light wind day and I can get some use out of it, but honestly, with my pumping technique improving (not that I don't still have plenty of times when I feel like I'm glued to the water), I just don't have the desire. The 926 feels SO much better on foil and the performance is so superior I really don't think I am giving up much on the bottom end and everything else is clearly better. The i99 was great to learn to jibe and other basics because everything happens so much slower, but once I was getting 50% or so of my jibes I haven't seen any reason to go back.

I expect that would be the same with any "higher" performance design. Basically, once the training wheels come off there is little or no reason to put them back on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: