Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Repair advice for carbon rear foil wing damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Aug 07, 22 8:20 am    Repair advice for carbon rear foil wing damage Reply with quote

I feel like I saw a thread on this but can't find it...

Yesterday I noticed the tip of my Axis 370 rear foil wing took a hit somehow. It's flexing a bit at the crack you can see and if I tried I think I could break the tip off with my fingers.

How best to approach this? Could i just layer it with some sun cure epoxy and sand it down. or does it need some sort of vacuum clamp?

TIA,
-WS

20220807_085921.jpg 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Aug 07, 22 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2qph2vG9Y

I have heard that aircraft mechanics use this method for repairing chips in props. Lives depend on props being balanced and not falling apart during flights. Foilers can also use it to repair their water toys.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 07, 22 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

What Hein says.....
Last edited by ldhr on Mon Aug 08, 22 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Aug 07, 22 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Stop by the hobby shop and get some thin CA glue. Apply it and it will wick into the crack and fuse everything back together. Then a light sand leaving the sanding dust in any remaining cracks or voids; apply some more CA. A little more sanding and CA until it's all smooth. You can apply a little CA to that tip and dip it into some baking powder to build it up. Then sand to desired shape. When all done spray with a light coat of clear acrylic. Wet sand with 400-600 and respray & repeat until its smooth and clean. The repair won't be quite a strong as new but should be good unless you have another impact. And will only take a few 10-30 minutes since the CA glue cures pretty much instantly.

All the best,
Hein

CA is CynoAcrylate aka Superglue. You want the super thin high quality type available at the hobby shop.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 08, 22 8:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks you guys...I am leaning toward the super glue / baking soda approach. I have some off this loctite liquid super glue...would it be good enough? Nowhere on it does it list ingredients or explicitly mention CynoAcrylate but maybe that's redundant to the term "super glue"?

Home Depot doesn't have the Loctite 495 that was referenced in Windian's vid.

I can try some hobby shops today if this isn't high quality or thin enough.

sg3.jpg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 22 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

I have used the super glue/baking soda method many times.--with supermarket Crazy Glue and it works well. But, Hein is very knowledgeable about materials and a highly skilled engineer, so if he is suggesting a higher grade glue I would be inclined to follow his lead. When I need to do another repair I am going to try his glue recommendation out.

Eric

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 08, 22 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, had the same thought. Went into Tammy's Hobbies today and scored some "super-thin" cyanoacrylate ~$6.

Will report back...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 09, 22 11:46 am     Reply with quote

This seemed to go really well. The cynoacylate seemed to trickle right down into the cracks and saturate the carbon fiber. The baking soda make it dry fast and leaves it whitish to guide your sanding.

Next time I will be a little less liberal with the glue so save the sanding. I also just used the sandpaper on hand so I went 400 --> 1000 -->2000. I haven't got to the acrylic yet and I think it already looks pretty good.

20220809_113204.jpg 
   20220808_141716.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: