Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite foil tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 27, 22 5:40 am    Kite foil tips? Reply with quote

I am currently kitefoiling in both directions, but I haven’t done any jibes or toe side foil rides. On a surfboard I am really comfortable jibing, although I tend to overpower through the turn at times.

I have started trying S-turns on foil, but I need more practice to on this. On foil, I worry about falling into the foil during the transition for jibes.

Any kitefoilers have some good strategies/advice?

Also, I am still using my 24” mast. It does seem to breach on swell/chop at times. Worth it to change to a 30” mast or better to figure out jibe/toe side first?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 27, 22 7:04 am     Reply with quote

I'd say yes to a longer mast at this point. DO NOT hinge at waist, which is how one can end up kissing the foil.

Jibing:

1. LOOK where you want to go
2. Kite should be one to two hours ahead of you in turn--slightly pulling you through
3. Turn/rotate from your HIPS--rotate your hips in the direction of your turn while remaining upright with body. The axis of the mast should always be through the top of your head. DO NOT HINGE
4. For now, keep the kite high'ish to support your weight. As you improve you will be able to have your kite wherever you want.
5. For now, don't lean into the turn--again, rotate the hips. If you rotate your hip on dry land you will feel your weight shift to your toes, which is what you want. As you improve you will be able to lean into the turns.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jul 27, 22 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, these sound like good tips! I will focus on no hinge, use hips on turns

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 27, 22 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I'd say yes to a longer mast at this point. DO NOT hinge at waist, which is how one can end up kissing the foil.

Jibing:

1. LOOK where you want to go
2. Kite should be one to two hours ahead of you in turn--slightly pulling you through
3. Turn/rotate from your HIPS--rotate your hips in the direction of your turn while remaining upright with body. The axis of the mast should always be through the top of your head. DO NOT HINGE
4. For now, keep the kite high'ish to support your weight. As you improve you will be able to have your kite wherever you want.
5. For now, don't lean into the turn--again, rotate the hips. If you rotate your hip on dry land you will feel your weight shift to your toes, which is what you want. As you improve you will be able to lean into the turns.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 30, 22 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Easier to not switch your feet and just ride toe side at first. This will give you the flying gybe feeling and is necessary for swell riding. You’ll need to remember to stand up straight and really dip your kite. 30” minimum mast or just go straight to the 36

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Aug 03, 22 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Why does the 30 or 36” mast help with the jibe? Does it give you more time to stay on foil while it s descending? Does it give you more keverage when banking turns? TIA

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 03, 22 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

<<more time to stay on foil while it s descending>>

yes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: